The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2002, 08:33 AM   #1
Slater

Mossberg shotguns

Mossberg seems to have discontinued their line of semi-auto shotguns, going only with pump and bolt actions. Poor sales?
Old July 21, 2002, 11:35 AM   #2
K80Geoff

Crappy reliability. You will never see one on a Trap or Skeet range, for long anyways.

If you want to know which guns work, visit a T & S rangw and make a note of the guns you see in use.
Old July 21, 2002, 10:27 PM   #3
O/U

NOT TRUE

I hunt most of the time with an o/u now, but i own 2 Mossey 9200 semi auto. One has a 24 inch turkey barrel and the other a 28 inch. I have shot trap with both 9200s for years with no mal-functions. I must have 10,000 shells through one. Cant count the ducks and geese taken with them. The only thing i ever had go bad was the gas seal went bad after several thousand shells, about 2.00 to replace. I have everything from cyl to xxxfull chokes which are factory, and you could not ask for better patterns. The 9200 is so tuff you could row your boat with them, wipe them down and go back the next day and shoot a few rounds with it.
Don't sell the Mossey semi short. My 2 cents
O/U
Old July 25, 2002, 11:04 PM   #4
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have to agree with O/U. My son-in-law has a beautiful field grade 9200 with great high gloss wood and fine metal finish. I have the same type of semi-auto in my Remington 11-87. We have been using them for about ten years and shoot a lot of boxes of ammo on clay birds in the back yard. His gun was a lot less expensive than mine, but they have both worked flawlessly for all these years. I have to admit that we both usually use the same light reloads all the time, so we do not have much experience with factory field type ammo. If we start out with newly cleaned guns, we have found that we can shoot perhaps 500 shells or so before the actions get so dirty they start to malfunction. There have been Saturdays when we shot enough shells to require cleaning, and then we went right back to shooting. I have never shot enough shells in one day, however, that I had to clean my gun twice in the same day. Both guns still look like they did when they were new. I like my 11-87, but I sure would not say anything bad about his 9200.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old July 26, 2002, 01:05 AM   #5
swampgator

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Mossberg was revamping their line of autos for reintroduction at a later date.

Of course I also read that Voit was going make a Bren Ten.
Old July 26, 2002, 09:19 AM   #6
O/U

I think wewill be seeing a new semi auto in 31/2 inch.
Old July 27, 2002, 02:04 AM   #7
swampgator

I can't recall ever shooting a Mossy Auto, although the Jungle Gun, or should I say the gun it was based on, looked decent enough.