Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 25, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Rifleman1952

A National Gun Buy Back Program?

Quote:
Sen. Feinstein suggests national buyback of guns
Washington Examiner ^ | December 21, 2012 | Joel Gehrke
Posted on Mon Dec 24 2012 22:40:00 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time) by neverdem
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said that she and other gun control advocates are considering a law that would create a program to purchase weapons from gun owners, a proposal that could be compulsory.
“We are also looking at a buy-back program,” Feinstein said today in a press conference. “Now, again, this is a work in progress so these are ideas in the development.”
Gov. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., already discussed the possibility of a buy-back law for his state, but he made clear it would be a forced buyback.
“Confiscation could be an option,” Cuomo told The New York Times yesterday when discussing semiautomatic weapons. “Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.”
Australia implemented a mandatory buyback program in 1996 following a mass shooting. “The law banned semiautomatic and automatic rifles and shotguns and put in place a mandatory buy-back program for newly banned weapons,” USA Today recalls. “The buyback led to the destruction of 650,000 gun.”
Some liberal activists want the policy imitated here. “That would be like destroying 50 million guns in America today,” the Center for American Progress’ Matt Miller wrote after noting that Australia eliminated 20 percent of the weapons in the country. “The Australian ‘outlaw and repurchase’ option is one approach. But if Congress balks at banning certain weapons entirely, it could make gun owners an offer they can’t refuse. Instead of $200 a gun, Uncle Sam might offer $500.”
Feinstein also said that that former President Bill Clinton had volunteered, on a phone call, to help her get a new gun law passed.
“[Clinton] was talking about the battle back in 1993 with the bill that, interestingly enough, was introduced and passed within the year fo 1993 and went into effect in 1994,” she said. “And, of course, he was president and the White House came alive and was very very helpful in enabling the passage of that bill both in the senate and in the House. So, to have him part of the team again is really quote special for us.”
It appears our esteemed legislature may be headed in the direction of Australian gun control, implemented there some 17 years ago. For those of you who keep saying we have nothing to worry about...are you still feeling so confident now?

Last edited by Rifleman1952; December 25, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:08 PM   #2
comn-cents

How are they buying back if they did not sell them. I priced all my guns at $15,000,000ea so they better bring the big bucks.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Unless I am mistaken, that's known as a Taking, and there are certain rules for Takings.

Let's also not forget where the $$$ to "buy back" all those guns comes from.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hey Diane!

2 ounces of gold (buffalos or eagles) for an AR (but it'll be stripped). No tungsten accepted and we want to Fort Nock.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Ghost1958

Guess I would have to start my "forced" criminal life then if hiding or not giving up my guns puts me in that status.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:15 PM   #6
RamItOne

Gary how many ounces will they give you for your home when imminent domain applies.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old December 25, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Wolverines........ J/k..well sort of.. I hope it never comes to this, but if it did, I am afraid it would be horrible. A majority would give up their guns like England, Australia, and Canada. The others would be hiding, in jail or dead. The very thought of this sickens me to my core. This is the very actions our founding fathers were trying to keep from happening..
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 25, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
war_elephant

easy way to stop buybacks in NJ, they were stopped by the courts because the PD and churches where they were doing them, didnt have an FFL or State Firearms Retail license, hence they couldnt legally buy or take posession of firearms. The courts and the NJ AG shut buybacks down hard.
Maybe that would be the tak to take with other states. If they are buying large quantities of firearms without an FFL, they are in the Firearms business and should have a FFL, therefore illegal firearms buying.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Gov. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., already discussed the possibility of a buy-back law for his state, but he made clear it would be a forced buyback.
Confiscation could be an option,” Cuomo told The New York Times yesterday when discussing semiautomatic weapons.
That's exactly what I want him and Feinstein saying publicly. As often as possible, and with the widest exposure possible.

When Joe Six Pack realizes that "reasonable" controls are really about confiscation, he'll get personally involved.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:42 AM   #10
Dr Big Bird PhD

If the words "confiscation" or "forced buyback" anywhere in the new bill, you can bet ill sleep better at night.

Not because I like it, but because i think itll be easier to defeat
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 26, 2012, 06:29 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
But if Congress balks at banning certain weapons entirely, it could make gun owners an offer they can’t refuse. Instead of $200 a gun, Uncle Sam might offer $500.”
How generous of them to offer a whopping $500 for a gun that may have cost well north of $2,000 or $3,000. Even if that's what they "offer," do the math. There are over 100 million long guns in this country. Say one-third are semi-auto, that's 33 million firearms. (Haven't even talked abut handguns.) 33 million times $500 is $16,500,000,000. Yeah, 16-1/2 BILLION dollars.

This country is already broke and bankrupt. Where do they think they're going to get an extra 16-1/2 billion dollars to throw at a program that's guaranteed to fail?
Old December 26, 2012, 06:56 AM   #12
4runnerman

They had a thing on Tv here about 4 days ago about the buy back in Australia. Seem's crime has gone throught the roof since they did that. Hmmm
WHo is going to pay the price for that?. I think if they passed the law,There would be lots of gun sales that happened over night to a name less person
Old December 26, 2012, 07:17 AM   #13
nate45

Perhaps once again, I'm guilty of insular thinking, but for the life of me I can't fathom how this sort of idea would appeal to a majority of Americans. Or how it could ever see the light of day in congress, or pass muster in the courts.

Maybe as others have suggested, this is an overreach that will come back to bite them. Maybe it is they and not we who will end up being seen as the most narrow minded and extreme. The NRA is getting 10,000 new dues paying members a day, wonder how many members and donors the confiscate the guns club will get?
Old December 26, 2012, 08:35 AM   #14
Webleymkv

A compulsory turn-in, whether monetarily compensated or not, would be a very, very foolish thing for Sen. Feinstein and Gov. Cuomo to do. While the chances of a '94 style AWB passing Constitutional muster are probably about 50/50, those chances would diminish greatly if some sort of confiscation were included as I very much doubt that the courts, SCOTUS in particular, would look favorably on such a thing. Likewise, confiscation would, in essence, prove all the people that the other side has been trying to paint as paranoid to be right and the political fallout would likely be substantial.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

Australia - here's some quotes from an interesting article. It also discusses the illegal gun present in many countries:

Quote:
And even that underwhelming estimate gives the authorities the benefit of the doubt. Three years after Australia’s controversial ban was implemented, when 643,000 weapons had been surrendered, Inspector John McCoomb, the head of the state of Queensland’s Weapons Licensing Branch, told The Sunday Mail, "About 800,000 (semi-automatic and automatic) SKK and SKS weapons came in from China back in the 1980s as part of a trade deal between the Australian and Chinese governments. And it was estimated that there were 1.2 million semi-automatic Ruger 10/22s in the country. That's about 2 million firearms of just two types in the country."
The Australian Shooters Journal did its own math in a 1997 article on the “gun buyback.” Researchers for the publication pointed out that the Australian government’s own low-ball, pre-ban estimate of the number of prohibited weapons in the country yielded a compliance rate of 19 percent.
http://reason.com/archives/2012/12/2...-bred-defian/2
As Tom Servo said - Cuomo has served the RKBA well in the debate. When you say that they will take your guns - people think you are nuts. Thanks Cuomo for the quote.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
There are over 100 million long guns in this country. Say one-third are semi-auto, that's 33 million firearms. (Haven't even talked abut handguns.) 33 million times $500 is $16,500,000,000. Yeah, 16-1/2 BILLION dollars.
I think the days of $500 AR rifles are long behind us. You could be looking at $6 Billion just for AR's in private hands at current prices alone. That is the price of a new Air Craft Carrier. If they want to try to offer 2.5X that you are still looking at $15 Billion just for AR's.

Cuomo may think a confiscation would be cheaper but it would cost a lot more than that.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

BTW, the reviews of past gun laws and control attempts have pretty much shown that gun buy backs accomplish nothing. Some folks who have some crap lying around, want to get rid of a crime gun or have inherited something in clueless mode turn them in.

NO effect on crime indices.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:43 PM   #18
jimbob86

Quote:
How are they buying back if they did not sell them. I priced all my guns at $15,000,000ea so they better bring the big bucks.
You forget they have those printing presses, and no problems using them? After all, "We are just borrowing from ourselves." ..... well, ourselves and the PRC.....
Old December 26, 2012, 10:47 PM   #19
RockyTop

Los Angeles conducted a gun buyback program today:

Handguns, rifles and shotguns could be exchanged with no questions asked for $100 Ralphs grocery store gift cards. Assault weapons earned a $200 card.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/us...d-up.html?_r=0

---

I wouldn't sell my Kel Tec for $100 so not sure what these idiots are turning in for that card.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:09 AM   #20
Ignition Override

For those who fear the worst possibility (i.e. "Oz", the UK), with FTF personal sales, there are no official records of any transactions.

Quite often there are not even any personal records.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:08 AM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

I would support a buy back program, if and only IF, the very FIRST money spent was every penny of the private personal fortunes of every public and private citizen who voted for or expressed public approval for the program.

If it is SO important, let them put their personal money to the task, and spend taxpayer dollars ONLY when all their personal funds are gone!

In fact, I'll be generous...lets only take half of their personal fortunes of the supporters and all of the fortues of the sponsers, and make that the gun buy back fund. After all, these people are all rich, and we all know the rich aren't paying their fair share...(so we are constantly being told by these same rich people)

Let's confiscate only half of their personal fortunes (including spouses and immediate family members) and use that to buy guns with! I'd even allow them to write the confiscation off on their taxes, this year. Next year? well, if we haven't solved the gun violence problem by then, take ANOTHER half of their personal & family fortunes and try it again! And again the next year, if the job still isn't done!

But until, and unless this is done, I support no buyback program, nor the use of public funds in one, in principle or in practice.

After all, to be fair, if they can decide what we must do with our personal property, then we can decide what they must do with theirs!

The above is only partially meant in jest...
Old December 27, 2012, 04:07 AM   #22
silvermane_1

might be a jest AMP .44, but not a bad idea.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old December 27, 2012, 04:17 AM   #23
imthegrumpyone

I say find the owners of all that were stolen and return them, take out the good and sell them legally, melt the junk. Oh and I'd be checking up on someone that turned in a valuable weapon for a few bucks, makes no sense to me.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Carry_24/7

I'm waiting for the voluntary buy back in my area, I'd love to be offered $500 to take this POS Taurus 740 Slim I have....

As a matter of fact, local pawn shops gotta hate these events.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:53 AM   #25
JWT

Wonder how many guns they'd get that weren't absolute junk?