The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 26, 2010, 11:20 PM   #1
offishn

Help with Mauser style action

I picked up a custom rifle chambered in 7X61 S&H. The Barrell is a Lechner and I am not sure what style of Mauser action it is. I am trying to fit bases and rings but am haveing a ruff time. Any one know what model or style it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mauser Action #1.JPG (108.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Mauser Action #2.JPG (113.0 KB, 114 views)
Old October 27, 2010, 03:41 AM   #2
natman

http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx

My guess would be a set of 45 & 46s, but you should measure it yourself.

Best of luck.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
My guess would be a set of 45 & 46s
That might be a good guess, but Schulz & Larsen rifles were built on a variety of actions, most notably the Mauser 98k action. Schulz & Larsen is a Danish company, so hole spacing will be metric, and the correct mounts may be similar to the old Husqvarna Crown model rifles.

BTW, Shulz & Larsen is still in business. Nice rifles.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:33 PM   #4
offishn

Scorch you mentioned it could be a 98K action. I have tried a set of Leupold Mauser 98 2 piece bases, is the 98 the same as the 98K? The front base fit, and the screw holes lined up. But the rear screw holes did not match. Allso the bridge or where the bases mount are different heights. The front seams to be around 3/16" higher than the rear, and neither area is flat it is rounded or semi curved. I can not find schultz & Larsen any where on the gun, althou I have heard it my be one. There the only ones I can find who might have made a 7X61 S&H. Do you know of a web site for Schultz & Larsen. And thanks it is a nice rifle.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Jim Watson

The action is a Mauser, not a Schultz & Larsen.
It is a sporter action with no clip slot or thumb notch as a 98K would have.
I cannot tell if it is a large ring like an FN or a small ring like a HVA but I bet it is one or the other.
Old October 28, 2010, 12:30 AM   #6
offishn

Jim how can i tell if its a large ring like a FN or a small ring like a HVA. What should I look for.
Old October 28, 2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Look at the left side of the action.
Is there a "step" down from the receiver ring to the side wall of the action?
If so, it is a large ring.
If the side of the action is level from the receiver ring back to the bolt stop, then it is a small ring action.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:07 AM   #8
natman

Quote:
how can i tell if its a large ring like a FN or a small ring like a HVA. What should I look for.
If you look under MAUSER in the weaver mount charts in the link in my first post, you'll find the diameters for the large ring (1.41") and small ring (1.3") receivers.
Old October 28, 2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
I have tried a set of Leupold Mauser 98 2 piece bases, is the 98 the same as the 98K? The front base fit, and the screw holes lined up. But the rear screw holes did not match. Allso the bridge or where the bases mount are different heights.
Commercial Mauser 98s are not the same as military Mauser 98s, the stripper clip guides interfere with placement of the rear bridge holes in the same location as commercial M98s. You may also have a different action altogether, since you say it does not say Schultz & Larsen on the action. You could have a Husqvarna commercial 98 action, and the dimensions of those actions and hole spacing is different from FN M98 actions that are the standard for commercial 98s in the USA.
Quote:
There the only ones I can find who might have made a 7X61 S&H.
Actually, 7X61 S&H was a fairly common chambering until Remington brought out the 7mm Rem Mag, and for several years afterwards. Sako and Husqvarna used to chamber for the 7X61 S&H, many European-made rifles were brought back by servicemen, and there are literally thousands of gunsmith-chambered examples out there.
Quote:
Do you know of a web site for Schultz & Larsen.
http://schultzlarsen.com/
Old October 28, 2010, 05:12 PM   #10
PetahW

JMO, but the action looks a lot like an FN Mauser Supreme (98).

Old October 29, 2010, 01:01 AM   #11
offishn

Jim and Natman with your help I have decided I have a Large ring receiver, it measure 1.41" and has a step down on the left hand side of the receiver.

I am leaning to-wards this being a custom gun put together by a gunsmith and chambered in 7X61 S&H. Looking at the Weaver site natman pointed out it would suggest its a FN, HVA & SWEDISH action.

I measured the Center to Center of mounting holes for bases and also measured the difference of bridge height from front to rear with the rear being lower. Here's what I got, (Front Base) Center to center of screw holes is .8585" or 21.80mm. (Rear Base) Center to Center of screw holes is .4985" or 12.70mm. The difference in the bridge is .1715" or 4.35mm with the rear being lower.

I sure wish the manufacturer would list there dimensions for base height and center to center some where, It would make it allot easier to find some.

Any one know where this info might be.
Old November 16, 2010, 12:03 AM   #12
triggerman770

thbe rear holes appear to be further apart than "out of the box mounts are drilled for.measure the rear and look thru the charts. As you say it is a custom job and the Smith undoubtedly drilled them for a non standard mount in the rear.
www.georgiacarry.org