The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 20, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Doug Bowser

Trouble with C&B Dragoon

I have a Replica Arms 2nd Model Dragoon by Uberti. It functions well until the trigger is pulled. Then the cylinder lock jumps out of the cylinder lock notch and the cylinder turns slighly before the hammer hits the ege of the notch cut out for the nipples. I bought a new cylinder stop and it does not fit. Should I check how much the bolt stop sticks above the frame? I have replaced a broken sear spring and I have the bolt stop part of the spring exerting a lot of pressure on the bolt stop. What would be my next step? Can I safely grind off the top of the bolt stop leg and allow the bolt stop to rise higher out of the frame?

Doug
Old June 20, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Hellgate

Years ago I had a Pietta SS Remington that would jump out of the bolt stop and freeze the action causing rotation of the cylinder out of battery under fire. It turned out that the chambers were not lining up with the barrel and as the ball struck the forcing cone it would wrench the cylinder out of the bolt stop. What helped was to ream the forcing cone so the ball could enter the barrel with less collision on the edge of the forcing cone but I ended up selling the gun because I just couldn't have the chamber alignment that far off. So, check to see if the chambers line up with the bore. The ball may be slamming into the barrel and jerking the cylinder around.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 20, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Doug Bowser

This happens to my revolver when dry firing. I will post photos of the parts and the revolver. Accoring to the Roman numerals on the frame, this Dragoon was made in 1965.

Doug
Old June 21, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Shotput79

Yes pics are a big help for dummies like me. 1965 Wow!!! That gun would be worth getting fixed to me. I just like older guns.
Old June 22, 2012, 04:40 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Moved here instead of Smithy because the members here eat this up.
Old June 22, 2012, 06:34 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

These links are for the holster Colts but it's the same, just a different scale.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...a_Part_One.pdf
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...a_Part_Two.pdf

The bolt spring may be fubar. You can buy a coil style to replace the flat style.