The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Harry Callahan

Rem 1100 What would you do?

All,
I was a Cabela's last night shopping for a shotgun. They have a deal until Oct 3 where if you spend over $500 you get a $150 gift card free. I had my eye on a new 11-87 initially but I was looking in the Gun Library and came across an 1100 Trap model which seemed to be calling my name. It's late 70s/early 80s vintage. Drop dead beautiful woodgrain, nice wood finish with only a couple minor scratches. Bluing still nice. Has a Monte Carlo stock which I find extremely appealing. 30" barrel with an improved choke. The salesman told me that he thinks the previous owner probably altered the barrel to achieve the choke and said the pattern will probably open too soon to be an effective trap gun but said it may be a more effective skeet gun at this point(I've never shot skeet). If I wanted a new factory barrel with assorted chokes he said it would cost around $275-$300. The stock is a little loose(easily remedied by tightening a bolt per saleman) and the foregrip seems to have some(very little) play but my buddy owns an 1100 from the early 70s and he says the foregrip is the same on his. Also took it apart and doesn't look like any excessive wear issues. My question is this; do I buy this shotgun, get a new barrel and acquire a shotgun I've always been very attracted to, or do I buy a new 11-87(or something else?). I talked Cabela's down to $675 and it also comes with a custom case. My wife got me a $200 gift card for my birthday to put towards it so I'm kind of compelled to buy from them. I figure the cost of the gun, custom case, and new barrel is still under a grand. Don't forget, I have to pull the trigger by Oct 3rd to get the $150 giftcard. Help!
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old October 1, 2010, 08:44 AM   #2
hardworker

1100s are 2 3/4 only where as the 11-87 is 3in.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Drummer101

the 11-87 does the 3inch AND the 2-3/4.

The 1100 you have to pick one.
Old October 1, 2010, 09:07 AM   #4
oneounceload

Make sure they'll let you return it if the loose stock is a bigger issue than what you were told.

If you buy it, take it to a pattern board and see what the pattern testing SHOWS you as far as choke goes. It can always be threaded by Briley or similar for screw-in chokes if need be - cheaper than new barrels

Good Luck!
Old October 1, 2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Harry Callahan

So, go with the pre-owned 1100, as long as it's sound?
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old October 1, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6
BigJimP

Picking the right gun - is about picking the gun that "Fits" you the best - so it hits where you look.

I don't know that its an easy choice either way on the 1100 or the 11-87 but I do like the 1100 a little better usually. I also like the Monte Carlo stock ( if it fits you / you'll like it too probably ) ...

To me there is very little downside to 2 3/4" shells vs 3" shells ...everything I reload is 2 3/4" anyway ...but if you're going to hunt a lot with it / the 3" might matter to you.

Loose stock worries me a little / why didn't Cabela's just tighten it up a little before they put it out for sale ?? Maybe there is more to it / so I 2nd OneOunces suggestion - that you stipulate returning it in 30 days or something if it won't stay tight - and put it on the receipt for both parties to sign.

Fixed choke guns are just not that versatile these days ...but there is no "improved" choke either --- there is an "improved cyclinder" and an "improved modified" ....and the only way to really check it is to use a bore gague ...which I doubt Cabela's did. If its an Improved Cyclinder - it will probably be a little too open for Trap / but it may be ok at the 16 yard line.

It sounds like this is your first shotgun .....and either gun will be fine. By the same token - there are other gas operated semi-autos on the market too like the Browning Silver - new at around $ 825 / Winchester SX3?? / Beretta 391's has one model around $ 900 .... and those new guns all have changeable screw in chokes...

You kind of have to go with your heart ...buy the one you'll hate to pass up - if you don't have it a couple years from now...
Old October 1, 2010, 11:27 AM   #7
zippy13

Here's my 1100 story: I'm a Skeet shooter; but, I did a little trap in the early 1990s. One of buddies won a Rem. Model 1100-Trap that was still NIB. He sold it to me for what the club had paid. I waited for a super sale and picked up another trap barrel (with the same step rib) and had it shortened and screw-ins added. Next was a Remington 2-barrel case on another sale.

I shot the R-1100 in ATA for part of a season; but, I soon upgraded to an O/U trap combo. IMHO, if you are after a trap gun for under a grand, you might be better served checking out used Browning BT-99s. If you're after a versatile gun, then a 2-barrel auto is a good choice.

With R-1100s, back in the day, it was not unusual to fit a stock by changing the angle of the stock-to-action connection. Removing a small amount of wood was all that was typically done. It's conceivable, if the shoulder was cut too far back, you might get a stock that wouldn't want to tighten down.

A loose forearm is something Remington shooters contend with -- most R-1100ers get in the habit of frequently tightening the fore cap. The R-1100 will function without the little metal clip* "Fore-end Support Assembly" but there will be some play up front.
* IIRC, the clip wasn't part of the original R-1100's design, but was an add-on to tighten the fore-end. In the most recent download of the R-1100/11-87 owners manual, the part isn't even shown in the R-1100's exploded diagram (yet, it's included in parts list) but is shown in the R-11/87's diagram
Old October 1, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
oneounceload

And being a used gun, with some "issues", you should have room to haggle 10% or so off the asking price
Old October 1, 2010, 02:30 PM   #9
sheepman

The 1100 is a nice gun and a trap mode is desirable. Like others have said get return period so if there is a problem you can return it. It should be possible to have the barrel threaded for choke tubs, but you may want to verify that before hand. The little trap shooting that I do, 870s and 1100s are my favorites, had a BT99 and several doubles but just like the old Remington s
Old October 1, 2010, 08:43 PM   #10
shortwave

Find an old 1100 Magnum. They will shoot 2 3/4" or 3". Find a nice one and you'll have the nice wood stock.