The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 4, 2002, 10:48 PM   #1
asleepinTucson

Virginia Beach range recommendations??

I am relocating to virginia beach, VA and looking for civilian shooter friendly ranges with good facilities, advice and prices.

Thanx in advance

Sleepy
Old August 5, 2002, 07:01 AM   #2
Navy joe

Lynnhaven shooting range near the Lynnhaven mall. 25 meters, 3 bays 18 lanes all caliber less than .50 BMG, no AP. Good ventilation and lights. Bulletproof glass partitions between the stalls. Store is pretty good as for prices and selection, rental guns for 10 bucks, pistol range fee is 6, annual membership 50 bucks. Ammo prices are as good as you'll find retail. Staff, some are excellent, some excellent and good shots as well( look for an old guy named Ed), some are friends, and some are low down no good gunshopcommandos who can't close their flap about anything. Sort them out yourself and welcome to the area.
Old August 5, 2002, 12:42 PM   #3
Bob Locke

There's a place in Norfolk named Shooter's. Been a couple of years since I lived there so I'd have a hard time telling you how to get there, but they're in the book. Depending on where you live in VB, that may be closer than Lynnhaven Shooting Range, which is a very, very nice range as well. Also, find your way over to Bob's in Norfolk. Bob Marcus is one of the leading fighters in the RKBA movement in SE Virginia, and his shop and range are both top shelf.

You didn't ask about a gun shop, but I'm gonna plug my buddies at The Armory. They're just SW of the major intersection of Indian River and Kempsville (back behind the big Taxaco station on the corner), and you just can't find better folks than Bill and Marie. I worked there p/t for about a year before I got out of the Navy, and it's just a great shop. Tell 'em I sent ya!
Old August 5, 2002, 10:02 PM   #4
jfuller

Lynhaven shooting range or A&P (it's other name) is a great spot and I think the annual membership is actually less than $50. They not only have the indoor range described but also an outdoor range about a half hour outside town. I have purchased guns there and have been a member for a few years - I highly recommend them.
Old August 6, 2002, 07:55 AM   #5
Navy joe

Well, you're right, indoor membership is 49.95, I think you can get a combo membership w/ the outdoor for 89 sumptin. Might go outdoor today. Easy directions: Follow Princess Anne Rd through its many turns and splits. If you reach the North Carolina border, turn around, you went about a mile or so too far. That place re-defines BFE. If you're interested in doing IPSC, say so, we have a local club.
Old August 6, 2002, 11:43 AM   #6
Bob Locke

Might want to check out Norfolk County Rifle Range, as well. It would be a little bit of a drive for you (depending on where you live), but they have a really nice setup and a VERY active IDPA club. I used to shoot IDPA matches there every second and fourth Wed. and Thu. of each month, and they have bullseye matches indoors and shotgunning out back, too.