The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
MarcB

T/C 35 Rem old problem new solution?

I searched the forum and it seems this barrel has a problem in firing properly at times. The logical solution offered was to not seat the bullet all the way. I'm hesitant to fire any gun with the slug against the rifling with out knowing how much to reduce the powder charge. I'm using 29 grains of H110 with a 125gr JHP which is not a hot load but is quite warm. I don't have any loading data to go by as I think I got the data from Handloaders Magazine back in the 70's and I don't know where those magazines are. Thompson Center offered to take a look at it but I don't think they have a solution and I'm not too hot about returning it least I don't get it back.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old January 16, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2
steveno

are you using new cases or fire formed cases? if they are new cases use a softer primer as in this instance the only thing holding the case is the extractor. once they are fire formed you should be able use whatever primer you wish. I had the same basic problem when I started loading the 7 mm TCU
Old January 16, 2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

& be sure not to bump the lil shoulder too far back, leave it as formed by your chamber... that should help... I have one, but not loaded for it for several years... I do have, & can recommend the TC load book
Old January 16, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
OkieCruffler

I never had the problem with mine but if you want to really cure the problem have the chamber cut for rimmed brass. You can use 303 (and 30-40 I think) brass to form and then you're good to go. I shot a few hundred thru mine without a problem but I never used factory loads, I think that is where alot of the problem comes from.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
MarcB

Thanks for the info. Thought that maybe there would be a new method. Out of 200 rounds 27 didn't fire. Of that 18 were virgins. I'll get some softer primers and try again.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:13 PM   #6
reynolds357

Use Federal primers. My first Contender was a 7-30 Waters. It had the same problem with my first re-loads. I had obtained that brass as once fired. I messed around and messed around trying to get them to shoot. Then I bought a box of Fed factory ammo just for the brass. Not one misfire. That put my head scratching on what was the problem. It then hit me that Federal had the softest cup of the primer manufacturers. Federal primers and a few thousand rounds later and still no misfires.
My 35 Rem contender has never misfired and it has been fed only Federal primers. I think the "head space problem" in the Contender is way over rated. It gets blamed for a lot of things it has nothing to do with.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:52 PM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
My 35 Rem contender has never misfired and it has been fed only Federal primers. I think the "head space problem" in the Contender is way over rated. It gets blamed for a lot of things it has nothing to do with.
WRONG! At least on the rimless rounds it is the main reason for misfires. The shell goes too far forward, the firing pin can't reach the primer, or it doesn't hit hard enough to fire it. This has everything to do with how the shell was sized. If the shoulder is pushed back too far, the shell can go into the chamber too far.

The reverse is true if the shoulder is too far forward, this prevents the shell from entering the chamber far enough, the barrel does not lock up completely preventing the hammer from falling all the way.

Rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim so they can't go too far into the chamber. BUT if the shoulder is not pushed back far enough, it CAN prevent the rim from contacting the chamber in front of the rim, causing incomplete lock-up of the barrel lugs, causing the hammer to not fall completely; light hammer strike on the primer.

I had a 35 remingtom contender barrel, I used for IMHSA shooting. I never had one misfire, and never had case head separations. It was quite accurate as well. It's one I'm sorry I ever sold!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 17, 2013, 05:38 PM   #8
wncchester

"Headspace" doesn't - or at least shouldn't - matter to a handloader. Don't set the shoulders back too far and the primers will get hit properly. If we can't do that then resort to neck sizing, that works fine for moderate pressure cartridges like the .30-30 and .35 Rem.

I doubt anyone could prove that Federal primers are any 'softer' than others but Fed does use a more sensitive priming pellet than others.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:49 PM   #9
reynolds357

Snuffy, I have most of the barrels Thompson ever made for the Contender and a couple of the customs. Head space has never been a problem. An idiot can screw up head spacing and make any rimless, beltless cartridge misfire in pretty much any non mauser action rifle of your choosing. That is not a fault of the Contender; it is a fault of stupidity.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #10
MarcB

Renolds357 do you have the Ingram 454 barrel?
Old January 17, 2013, 09:12 PM   #11
reynolds357

Nope. many, not all. (I looked at the updated custom shop list and many is a more appropriate word than most)
.22 lr, .222., .223, .357 mag, .357 herrett, 7-30, 30-30, .35 rem, .44 mag, .45-70, .375 win, 7mm TCU, .357 Rem max 445 super mag

They all work just fine shooting Federal primers.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
MarcB

Nice collection! I have about the same as you. I've got a 30 Herrett and a 357/44 B&D which is a blast to shoot and had Ingram make me a 444 Super Marlin. Now that ones' got a kick to it. I think the 357/44 is my favorite. What's your favorite barrel?
Old January 18, 2013, 10:01 PM   #13
reynolds357

My favorite is the 35 Rem closely followed by 7-30 Waters. Is the 444 Super Marlin the 444 Marlin, or is it improved a little? It sounds like a very nice barrel to add to my collection.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
OkieCruffler

The 444 is a hoot and the only cartridge I've ever stretched a frame with. But as much fun as it is you can do about the same thing with the 445 with less powder.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:35 AM   #15
MarcB

I don't much about the 445 but you are probably right as I never worked up a specific pistol load for the 444, but it sure kicks like a mule.Would love to have the 45-70.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:08 PM   #16
OkieCruffler

My 444 had a 3 inch brake on the end so recoil wasn't bad but muzzle blast was BRUTAL. I used to bring it out when people crowded me on the bench. A few shots thru that shockwave and people would give you some elbow room.
Old April 13, 2013, 05:55 PM   #17
MarcB

Well fellas, got the problem solved. Couldn't find any Federal primers (who can)? but managed to talk a guy at a gun show out of some Remington primers and some virgin brass. Loaded up 5 and all were no go. Then I thought why not try dry firing with just a primer, so I primed 10 rounds with Win. mag primers and dry fired the gun with the barrel butted tight against a steel plate. All fired so I loaded 10 of them up with the Remington primers and a staring load to fire form the cases. They all fired fine. After "fire forming" all the rest with mag primers I loaded all the rest up with the Remington primers and all fired fine. Don't understand why they would fire without a bullet but not with. Anyway this trick worked. Now I'm back to using Winchester primers which I have a ton of and now I'm a happy camper.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #18
reynolds357

Dont know either Mark. It does not make much sense. Remington is by far the hardest cup primer of the big 4.