The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 2, 2013, 08:57 PM   #1
WildBill45

A real, original 1873 Winchester, "One of a Thousand"

A little show and tell of one of the most popular and famous Winchesters of all time!!! You won't see one of these at every gun store!

Here are two of the images that I shot of my favorite Winchester ever! Remember, I had to shoot through museum glass without permission, therefore preventing me from taking special measures to cut down the glare and reflections ... I had to work fast, and stealthily! The second shot of the engraving on the barrel is when the flash went off! My big dummy self forget that the digi-camera resets when turned off, as I was headed away with two good images and no one knew! When I returned to the scene of the crime and turned it back on to get this last shot, it reset to auto-flash, and BOOM! The reflections are hard to get rid of!

Bear in mind, I am in Peru and not at home, thus I am without photo shop, and dealing with a little Nikon digi that I bought years ago! The fact that it works as well as it does is a testament to NIKON believe me!

The moral of this story: If you are going to break the rules, DO NOT BE STUPIDO!

Did I mention that I just love this rifle! It is just put in this case among other guns, with only a small sign stating, "One of a Thousand” Most, who go there have no Idea what that sign in English means! There are so many special guns in that collection, from Presidents, etc. that are beyond belief, but stuck in some case, Helter Skelter, and that is a shame. It is good that they have it though, as some of these gems would never have eyes cast upon them ever again! I saw guns that belonged to Louis 14th, Castro, Teddy Roosevelt, and so many more. I saw guns that I have only seen in books, and guns that I never knew existed before today. I thought I knew about guns, Hell, I don't know Jack about guns. What a humbling, but enlightening experience to go there and see this collection!

Here is the museum: http://www.museoroperu.com.pe/museum.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg One of 1000.jpeg (36.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpeg One of 1000 b.jpeg (81.0 KB, 74 views)

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; January 3, 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old January 3, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Where in Peru? Some museum in Lima?
Old January 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
WildBill45

Yes, a weapons museum, gattling guns, Sword Guns from France, a wild place!!!

Here it is: http://www.museoroperu.com.pe/museum.html

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"