The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 7, 2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Old Smoker

Wisconsin 7th district rep, Sean Duffy

Attended a very excellent round table local discussion with my representative, 7th district Sean Duffy. Many topics were discussed, but of course gun control was prominent.
He assurred us, that there would be no AWB nor mag ban. He stated that the votes just aren't there, either in the House nor the Senate.
He did state, that there would be legislation tightning up reporting information to ncic.
After really listening to him and judging his character, I fell I can believe him.
So, I just want to go on record to those that have been gouging on semis and ammo, I will not forget your names. Whether you be on gun broker or gun auction, whether you be a sporting goods store or a greedy private inividual, I will remember your names.
As a foot note to the meeting, it would also appear, that gun shows are clearly not decided yet. In judging all the comments about gun shows being overpriced and not worth going to, as in my own experience, requiring background checks would be no inconvience for me. As for private sales, in this day and age, I wouldn't sell a gun privately to anyone, that I couldn.t check out on Wisconsin CCAP or thru the local sheriffs department. Common sense tells me I don't want the liability.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

^^ Thanks from South Milwaukee!

Glad our state is representing the interests of it's citizens.

Just an aside: Down here the CCW has become the club membership card permitting private sales. It's a quick and fast way to have pretty fair assurance that the buyer is legal. It's my policy, and many others are doing the same thing. No CCW = no private sale. Add to that no NRA Membership = no private sale and you have a good combo.

Best,

Willie

Old February 8, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Old Smoker

I forgot to mention the ccw. I have one and I would sell privately to anyone who has gone thru the process of obtaining.
If everyone got a ccw, there wouldn't be a need for a background check.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Jo6pak

Senator Johnson is on our side also.
This is an excerpt of an Email I recieved after contacting him.

Quote:
....As your Senator, I believe it is my primary responsibility to uphold the Constitution and the Second Amendment is no exception. I will continue to strongly support our Second Amendment rights. One of the bills I have chosen to cosponsor regarding the Second Amendment is S. 570 introduced by Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) on March 14, 2011. This bill would prohibit the Department of Justice from tracking and cataloguing the purchases of multiple rifles and shotguns.

But, I don't think this is a reason to "stand down" or relax. We need to keep our allies aware that we are watching, and keep pressure on the others too.

Sen. Baldwin is probably a lost cause, she doesn't even have an Email contact listed anywhere.
The real battle is for the "fence sitters" who can be swayed to one side or the other by our involvement.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Willie Sutton

Sen. Baldwin is probably a lost cause, she doesn't even have an Email contact listed anywhere.

I'd agree. We really screwed up a good chance when "We the people of WI" elected her to the seat... she's about as bad as it gets as far as reprsenting anything other than Madison. I bet though that even she is smart enough to understand that a vote for any of the proposals will mean an end to her career next election. Wisconsin is a funny place: Lots of typically Democratic voters (Union Members, as we still have substantial manufacturing industries here) are also shooters to a degree that it's almost a religion. Lose this vote and you lose the state. Maybe it's time not to appeal to her beliefs.. maybe it's time to simply show her the stick.

"If everyone got a ccw, there wouldn't be a need for a background check."

Bingo....

If the Feds want universal background checks, let's propose a tit-for-tat: Shall Issue CCW to all that qualify in all states. Requirement of that CCW to make private purchases. We are already informally doing this ourselves.

Willie

Old February 9, 2013, 04:47 PM   #6
2ndsojourn

"If the Feds want universal background checks, let's propose a tit-for-tat: Shall Issue CCW to all that qualify in all states. Requirement of that CCW to make private purchases. We are already informally doing this ourselves. "

That's what you call a compromise. I like it.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Texshooter

Question please.

Is this person on "your side" or are they saying "there are not enough votes"?

Big difference.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Willie Sutton

(1): On our side.

(2): Saying from the inside track of being a senator that there are not the votes in congress to get this agenda passed.

Our other Senator is an openly gay woman, who is the face of everything anti. With that said she won against a very strong 2nd amendment candidate and only won by a small margin. She will be history if she votes for a ban of any sort, and she knows it.

Willie