The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How many mags do you carry for training?
1-2 19 28.79%
3 18 27.27%
4 8 12.12%
5+ 21 31.82%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
nhbmaing

How many mags?

I've been taking tactical pistol classes for almost a year now and I enjoy it greatly. We've gone over a lot of scenarios and drills and my skills have greatly improved as a result. I run an M&P .40 and my rig for class holds 3 mags. I go down to 1 extra mag when CC'ing the same gun. Just wondering how many mags you guys carry for class/ range training??
Old May 9, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Usually - 1 in the gun, carry two.

But I have a bag full of around 15 loaded to cut down on reloading for a bit. Of course, bought before the panic.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Dragline45

One extra mag for my carry gun sits in my left pocket. If, and that if has never happened yet, if I feel that I need more firepower ill carry my M9 with two spare 15rd mags on the belt. Thankfully I haven't felt or had the need yet to walk around with over 45 rounds on me. At the range I usually just have an extra loaded mag on me to practice reloads in between strings.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
HuntAndFish

Generally one in the gun, one in a weak side mag carrier, two in the dump pouch.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Re: How many mags?

When carrying I have one in the gun and one spare carried weak side. In class or competition it is one in the gun and 4 on my weak side.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Depends on the training O_O

Usually no less than 3...So I selected 3. But it's usually 3+
Old May 10, 2013, 08:47 AM   #7
jglsprings

Okay, I voted wrong...

After taking a closer look you did ask:

Quote:
Just wondering how many mags you guys carry for class/ range training??
I carry one in the gun and two on the belt carrier.

I take the whole darned box with me (I always break, stomp, clog, kick, etc one or two mags) so I always have plenty to use. I voted 5+ I only carry 3.

Commas save lives...
Old May 10, 2013, 09:45 AM   #8
MLeake

For a class, I carry at least two spares, and bring a bunch of pre-loaded magazines, so I went with 5+.

Had the question been about EDC, the answer would have been two spares, plus the one in the pistol. Since magazines are the most common failure points for semis, I always carry at least one spare. I like to counter-balance the pistol with a double mag carrier, and carrying two spares is really not much (if at all) harder than carrying one.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Had the question been about EDC, the answer would have been two spares

I only carry 2 spares when they're OWB and I'm wearing a button up.

How do you carry two spares?

Then again....depends what kind of magazines your spares are.

I carry an extra Glock 17 mag with the flush mag in my Glock 19.

If I'm wearing a button up, I'll have the 2 Glock 17 17 rounders in the OWB belt holster with the G19 IWB @ 4:00
Old May 10, 2013, 01:21 PM   #10
MLeake

I tend to wear loose outer shirts, for example the Woolrich concealed carry line. Those particular shirts have a false button at the bottom front (held by a magnetic closure, so it stays closed in wind, but opens easily on the draw), and velcro on the lower sides.

Right now, I have a P7 IWB in a Comp-Tac Minotaur at 3:30, and two mags in a Sam Andrews double carrier on my belt.

These are only noticeable if I bend at certain angles.

They do make me look a size more overweight than I am, but they don't look like ironmongery unless one really knows what one is looking at.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Tucker 1371

5" 1911, 8+1 plus two spare 8's
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old May 10, 2013, 10:50 PM   #12
FM12

Train with several, carry two extra on duty one extra if that off duty.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Alabama Shooter

For a day of pistol training that would be about 10 full size mags and then a few of the ten round mags as well as one magazine that should jam about half way through.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Gaerek

At least 5 for training/practice. I'll have one in the gun, and 2 on my weak side, usually. Cuts down on having to refill. When carrying, 1 in the gun and one spare. I tried carrying 2, but it just wasn't convenient. So I opted for a single horizontal mag pouch mounted on my weak side appendix.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:13 PM   #15

For classes, I take as many magazines as I have.

It makes things a lot easier if you don't have to reload your mags as often. On the firing line, I also carry as many mags as possible. I only have two mags on my belt, but I have my pockets stuffed with magazines. As I do magazine changes, I move my spares into the main pouch and put the depleted magazines in my pocket or a drop pouch. Of course most of those mags are not empty, so again, they are easier to reload in between evolutions. Every evening, before I go to bed, I load all the mags I have for the next day.

If I could do it, I would take enough magazines so that I never had to reload a magazine during the class. I once took a five day formal class with an AR15 and I took over fifty loaded, 30 round mags.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:14 AM   #16
myusername

Depends on the class or what kind of training is being done. Usually I'll bring all I have for whatever I'm shooting.

For daily use I carry an extra gun, and an extra mag for it.

I don't want to experience the really stupid feeling one might have just before they died of being caught with an extra mag for a gun that doesn't work.
Old May 12, 2013, 01:20 AM   #17
Silver00LT

I grab 3-5 depending on how much brass I want to dig for. If I shoot 45 rounds I do not stop searching til all 45 are picked up. More I carry to the range more I shoot so I try to limit it.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:25 PM   #18
cmr287

Re: How many mags?

One mag on my week side when CC'ing and OC'ing with 14 rds in a 15 rd mag in my G22.

As far as training, i use my G22 w/ 4 mags of .40 and 210 rds of M855= 7/ 30 rd mags and my NIJ lvl 3A with Enhanced Small Arms Protective Inserts
(ESAPI), APM2 front and back as well as Enhanced Side Ballistic Inserts (ESBI).
Old May 13, 2013, 11:15 AM   #19
45Gunner

I tend to use specific mags for training, and keep them for training mags.
When I conceal carry my 1911, in addition to the 8 + 1, I carry two mags in a double mag carrier on my weak side. (Both are 8 rounders).
NRA Life Member
Old June 5, 2013, 09:34 AM   #20
SgtLumpy

Unless I'm working on something specific, I load up all my magazines with varying amounts of ammo from maybe three to 15 (Beretta 92). Then I'm "suprised" by the sudden "out of ammo" and get to practice eject and reload.

I likely always have a full mag of "real ammo" in my back pocket and leave it there. Then I use the training mags, and their ball ammo, one in the gun, two on the belt, as in real life - where rarely would anyone carry more than two on the belt.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 5, 2013, 10:03 AM   #21
serf 'rett

IDPA - Generally have one in pistol, two in belt mag carrier and one in back pocket and at least one spare in range bag.

Training - varies.
Old June 5, 2013, 10:13 AM   #22
RBid

How many mags?

I practice with 1 spare, weak side. I carry with 1 spare, weak side. I practice using the same mag carrier that I use for daily carry.
Old June 5, 2013, 08:20 PM   #23
The Great Mahoo

How many mags?

With my main carry, my sp101, I usually carry 1 reloader in either a speed loader or strip, depending on dress. I don't like the inconsistency so much, but I can deal with training in both methods. Usually the same when training.

When I carry my Glock, I usually carry 1 spare mag, often in my pocket for convenience; training is usually done properly with a belt pouch. I don't fin myself carrying this much for routine concealed carry, which is why I haven't gotten a good mag holder that is comfortable
Old June 7, 2013, 04:17 PM   #24
craZivn

With the SP101, two spare speed strips in a conveniently sized cell-phone pouch on my belt. With the PX4 .40, no extra mags.
Old June 7, 2013, 07:51 PM   #25
ThatBeardedGuy

If I bother dragging my woodland MOLLE vest out, I carry a combat load of ammunition. 7 full mags, counting the one in the rifle. The Army was nice enough to let me just keep my USGI mags when I got back from deployment, and I generally keep at least two of them fully loaded at home.

"We're gonna turn left!!" - NASCAR, in a nutshell.