The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which is the best choice?
Beretta Nano 8 17.39%
Sig P290 14 30.43%
They both suck. Buy a Shield. 24 52.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
BoneDigger

P290 versus Nano?

Of the two guns mentioned, which would you be more likely to buy, based on personal experience or internet reading/technology/features? I recently sold my PM9 because I just didn't like the way it shot, although I admit it never malfunctioned. I may hold out for a Shield (on a waiting list), but I worry that it may be a LITTLE too big for what I want. I already have a M&P9c and I LOVE that gun. Shoots great, probably better than any others I have had.

From what I have read on the internet, the Nano has had some FTE issues, but they seem to either get fixed quickly by Beretta or the issue has now been resolved, because most recent posts I have seen have been positive. The Nano feels good to me, although I have never owned an auto without a slide stop of some kind, so that worries me a "little".

Of the two guns, I kind of liked the trigger of the P290 a little better than the Nano, even though most reviews I have seen have said just the opposite, that the Nano has the better trigger. Without actually firing them it's hard to say for sure.

The Nano is very sleek and seems like it would be easy to carry. Most folks seems to like it. The P290 has the slide release, night sights, plus comes with a cheap paddle holster, but it costs about $75 more.

So, from real world experience or perception from what you have seen, which would be the better option?

Todd

Last edited by BoneDigger; May 23, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
BGutzman

The P290 is a great little gun... If you look on you tube several of the biggest youtube critics have IMHO no business using any guns... One guy seems to think you pull the trigger on a empty chamber and then load the magazine while the trigger is still fully and intentionally depressed and then he has issues.

When he does load it like the rest of the world it works flawlessly.

I have a P290 first Edition that is a little masterpiece.. I hate DAO triggers and yet on the 290 I knew going it that it was DAO and I actually like its trigger.

The only downside for me is the extended mag is a little pricy and for whatever reason it doesnt seem to want to seat without a moment or two of playing with it... The standard 6 round mag does not have this issue... Once either magazine is locked it stays in place.

It could be I got a questionable magazine and others aren’t like this... I don’t know.. With or without the extended mag the gun is very, very accurate and controllable, the gun just feels solid and sound like the quality gun it is.
Old May 23, 2012, 01:10 PM   #3
David the Gnome

I wouldn't own either personally.
Old May 23, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4
BGutzman

The Shield looks like a fine gun, id love to try one but as I said I own a P290 and its been flawless as far as the operation of the gun itself....
Old May 23, 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Sixer

You should get the PM9... oh wait

The "Shield" is a pretty slick little pistola... seems to have a better trigger than the M&P's. That said, it's not as small as I had anticipated. Tough call.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:38 PM   #6
RC20

I am confused

First portion you say from Internet reports or experience and the last just experience.

Also, if you like the shield why would you want to look at other guns?

Fun maybe, but if the Shield suits you so well thats the gun you should go with, regardless of any reports.

Its how it fits and works for you.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Que

I own a P290. My experience with the Nano and Shield has only been holding and dry firing one in a shop. I will not speak to those two guns as I do not believe that some shop time with one qualifies me to say much other than that I may consider owning a Shield down the road, or at least shooting one to see what it's really all about. I will say that overall it seemd to me a good bit larger than the P290. I haven't compared specs so that is just my impression based on limited exposure with the Shield.

As to the P290, I like it quite a bit. Mine, with a build date of March 2011, had to go back to SIG. After my first range session the hammer would not go down all the way upon pulling the trigger. It would stop short of the firing pin. There were no other issues with the gun. After a trip to SIG, with a turn-around time of eight days door to door, the gun came back fixed. The paperwork indicated an upgraded trigger as well as a new mag release. There had been no previous issues with the mag release. The gun now performs perfectly. While I wish SIG would have gotten this pistol right the first time, their customer service really came through. The trigger is also noticeably lighter. This upgrade was prior to the RS reset version upgrade, and I am happy with the gun as it. Re-strike isn't important to me as my practice is tap/rack. But, the trigger upgrade they did has resulted in a much lighter trigger. The old trigger was smooth (not at all gritty) but heavy. The new trigger is much lighter and any stacking seems to be dead minimal. For my purposes SIG has got this one right.

Overall I find the P290 to be light shooting for its size. Accuracy with about 200 rounds has been good and is getting better. At eleven yards all rounds are into five inches, which is just fine for the purposes of this gun. I can tell that accuracy will improve with practice but I find it to be acceptable at this point. Function has been 100%. The (SigLite night sights) sights are actually outstanding for this size gun. I believe they are the same size sights used on a SIG like the P220. While the sights are a big plus they will become a bit less so as I will be doing a lot of point shooting. The gun shoots better (more accurate and controllable) with the extended eight round mag which is my back-up. I see no use for a laser.

As to carrying the gun, I have limited it to pocket carry. The gun gets a bad rap as being thick, but in terms of height and length it is actually quite compact. In a Galco Nemesis it is quickly forgotten in my pocket. It's heavier than many pocket guns, but carried the right way it ceases to be an issue for me.

Overall, after the initial hiccup, the gun is a keeper. Stick to guns with newer build dates and you will be good to go,
Old May 23, 2012, 05:53 PM   #8
jibberjabber

My Nano has been nothing but reliable, accurate and easy-shooting. Also, it fits easily in the pocket - very thin and no protrusion on the sides for a snag-free draw. Take-down is ultra simple.

Beretta will also be coming out with extended grip mags, sights (which you can swap yourself, and even different chassis. Platform was built for .40 S&W and is quite robust.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

I voted Sheild because it's the best of the bunch IMO. I've shot all of them and they're all quality guns but the 290 is just to heavy for a single stack gun for me. I'm also not a fan of the trigger but that's a personal preference...

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; May 23, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
I recently sold my PM9 because I just didn't like the way it shot, although I admit it never malfunctioned.
In my opinion, you should buy back the PM9.

I can't think of anything substantial that the Nano or P290 offers that the Kahr doesn't already do better.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:00 PM   #11
rborgers

I have a P290, a CM9, and a Nano my vote is the P290. I pocket carry it every day without any issues. The P290 is the only micro nine that I can fire 50 rounds weak handed non supported and not have a single FTF. I have tried this with test with a Kimber Solo, CM9, Nano, LC9, and a Rohrbaugh and after three or four magazine I would end up with a FTF. I have close to 1000 rounds through my P290 without any issues. I even went 350 rounds without cleaning it and still no problems.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:17 PM   #12
BoneDigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
In my opinion, you should buy back the PM9.

I can't think of anything substantial that the Nano or P290 offers that the Kahr doesn't already do better.
I know it may sound silly, but the little indented section of the trigger guard always bothered me. I just never felt right shooting it.

Todd

Sent via Todd's IPhone using Tapatalk.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:19 PM   #13
jibberjabber

Ultimately, you should answer your own question by trial and error. Other peoples' experiences and opinion won't make any pistol the right match for you no matter how convincing. I guess it's fun to discuss a guns features, just don't be dissuaded from trying a gun because of something someone says. One gun won't fit or please everyone.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:53 AM   #14
iMagUdspEllr

P290- The gun weighs 20 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. So I would say that your accuracy would be diminished. It does have night sights, though!

Nano- The gun weighs 18 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. It doesn't have night sights on it either. Accuracy is going to be greatly diminished due to the lack of night sights and heavy trigger pull.

Shield- The gun weighs 19 oz and has a reasonable trigger pull (6.5 lbs advertised) and there are aftermarket night sights for it. So, you would be most likely to hit what you're aiming at with this.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:44 AM   #15
BGutzman

Keep in mind these guns arent meant for general target shooting.. at self defense distances the triggers are fine and in at least one magazine review the P290 was noted as being the most accurate of the three tested (I think the other was a Kimber Solo and I dont remeber what the last one was)

Last edited by BGutzman; May 24, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
P290- The gun weighs 20 oz and has a heavy trigger pull.
I just went to Sig's website to verify this---you are correct sir. For some reason, it just felt like a brick when I shot it compared to the Nano/Sheild. Odd...
Old May 24, 2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Que

As to the weight of the P290, it is indeed heavy at 20 oz.. But, when shooting a pocket/subcompact 9mm, a little weight is your friend. The real issue is how that weight carries and how it is carried.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:04 AM   #18
ScotchMan

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 24, 2012, 01:03 PM   #19
iMagUdspEllr

@BGutzman: In my opinion, "Good enough for self-defense ranges." means, "I'm willing to intentionally handicap my ability to shoot because they are so close I 'can't miss'."

And people miss, especially under stress, at any range. There is no reason to make your job harder if there is a better alternative that meets or exceeds all of the prerequisites for the intended usage.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:08 PM   #20
jmvdigital

Second vote for the Walther PPS.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:35 PM   #21
BGutzman

Quote:
@BGutzman: In my opinion, "Good enough for self-defense ranges." means, "I'm willing to intentionally handicap my ability to shoot because they are so close I 'can't miss'."

And people miss, especially under stress, at any range. There is no reason to make your job harder if there is a better alternative that meets or exceeds all of the prerequisites for the intended usage.
Anything this small is not going to be a sniper rifle of a pistol at ranges more than 25 feet.. That said I have no problem hitting out to 50 or 60 foot... But it’s not the same nice small group... If felt the need I have a 460 Rowland and a SIG P220 that hits pretty well at more distant ranges.. Other than that its rifle or shotgun..

I just don’t see the typical engagement being more than 50 or 60 foot and statically it’s a lot more likely to be a lot closer than that if you’re in a SD situation.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:17 PM   #22
B.N.Real

-Best poll EVER.

LOL.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:33 PM   #23
khegglie

voted neither, The NANO looked good but It has too many issues.. see the Beretta forums. The SIG looks great to me but it is Glock 27 thick and heavy for pocket carry. I got lucky and got a .40 Shield and it has replaced a G27 and PF9 for daily carry. Right thickness/weight/profile/ recoil characteristics(BETTER than the PF9).
Old May 24, 2012, 09:40 PM   #24
iMagUdspEllr

@BGutzman:

What you just stated is a straw man. I never claimed that these pistols were sniper rifles or that they should perform like one.

Here is my argument (again): You are already compromising weight (lighter = more recoil), sight radius, and magazine capacity in order to have a more concealable gun (because we MUST conceal it). But, we DON'T have to compromise on the ergonomics or quality of the trigger do we? So why should we?

I don't understand why you started talking about shooting at ranges further than 25 feet, sniper rifles, full-size pistols, rifles, shotguns, etc.

Just because you are shooting at a distance less than 25 feet doesn't mean you automatically hit every shot. A small, light, difficult to aim pistol in your quivering hand(s) could still fully accomplish missing all of its six to eight shots. And, a heavy trigger that is more likely to pull the small pistol further off-target doesn't help things. The gun HAS to be small (because we are concealing it), that doesn't mean the trigger HAS to be terrible or that we should disregard the quality of the trigger.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:33 AM   #25
Que

I've seen a number of negative references to the P290 slide thickness around the Net. I think that it is a matter of perception, due to the pistol's overall small size, rather than reality. Here is a comparison of some widths:

P290: .9 inches (1.1 inches w/slide catch lever)
Glock: 1.18 inches
Nano: .9 inches
Shield: .95 inches
PPS: .91 inches without slide catch lever, 1.04 inches with.