The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
5RWill

Delta Mud..

Another day of duck hunting in MS gumbo mud. Lol the guy in the middle always falls and it's just like him to be clumsy and put himself in a situation like that. Second pic is my other friend showing the ducks we got. Should've had more as always...the first picture cracks me up.

Last edited by 5RWill; January 14, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old January 14, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Daryl

Good job! Looks like y'all had lots o' fun!

Daryl
Old January 14, 2012, 02:29 PM   #3
5RWill

Thanks man it was a good morning. I swear i need a video camera. Guy on the far left fell probably 7 times today. It's always a comical hunt when we go for sure.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
AllenJ

Be nice to him, I'm one of those guys too I fell this morning for the third time this season and I'm hunting a rice field
Old January 14, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
5RWill

Well they all could've used the oak roots which are to the right (not in the picture) and it would've been so easy, like i did. I've fell before don't get me wrong but only once (Cross my fingers) Both Blake (Guy in the second pic) and I have been duck hunting together for some odd 6-7 years now. And we go a lot during winter. So i guess i'm used to wading, as everytime we hunt my place it's hard wading. By the end of it, you feel like bear grylls or something.

Both Blake and I have fell once. I stepped off into a huge beaver run and actually turned upside down, but i filled up my waders to flip back over and then went under and got my shotgun, it was 50F that day not too bad. Blake has tripped due to a stump.

Hell everyone falls especially around here beaver runs are just a mess on my land. But those particular two were funny today.

Good times haha.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:42 PM   #6
3kgt2nv

I absolutely love duck hunting. the best part is the dinner that night. i love bacon wrapped duck and oven brown potatoes.
Old January 14, 2012, 10:45 PM   #7
warbirdlover

Is it too cold for the Cottonmouths to be swimming around in that?
Old January 15, 2012, 12:52 AM   #8
5RWill

This morning it was around 29-30F so yeah, but it should be much warmer sunday. IDK i guess i don't worry about it that much, due to them being cold blooded and all i never see them in the winter. In the summer i wouldn't dare go near that stuff. I've gone on ditch banks and killed 15 snakes before and seen many more. They're everywhere.

Last edited by 5RWill; January 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old January 15, 2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

That reminds me of a cartoon from decades back. Two guys are in a duck blind. Snow. Ice. Icicles hanging from the shotgun barrels. They see two guys in a small boat, fishing. One duck hunter says to the other, "What kind of fool would be out fishing on a day like this?"
Old January 15, 2012, 11:03 AM   #10
huntinaz

Sweet, looks like fun. I've always wanted to go on a good duck hunt.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:24 AM   #11
5RWill

We always have ducks migratory or not, some reason our place (swampy) always has em. It's fun but it's hard hunting, after 4-5 days of going i'm worn out. I haven't hunted too many animals in my life on a regular basis (just the normal white tail, turkey, and doves) But i can honestly tell you i've never had to work harder than i work when going after ducks. Most of the time come ducks season we have entirely too much water, so while there are plenty of ducks you might shoot at a some, then they fly 100yds behind woods into a opening and go down there.

Here's a picture of the spot we hunted yesterday, then we crossed the bayou in the back to go check out another hole. To get to this spot though there is a bank in between two culverts and we take the Mule about 400yds through trees and bryers. Then since my waders have a leak in them i walk the bank to get to myspot through about 200yds of bryers. Sucks. Needs a little dozer and some fixing up, but if it was all nice and comfy we wouldn't have all the laughs of people falling etc. lol

We need to start goose hunting we always have tons of geese but i can't ever get my lazy self to want to put out 100+ decoys.

Old January 15, 2012, 12:22 PM   #12
PawPaw

Reminds me of my younger days hunting the Delta, Louisiana side.

We took a friend of my Dad's hunting one morning. He was an Air Force NCO recently posted to Louisiana and had no experience with our gumbo mud. We were walking in the marsh and stopped to rest. In that mud, when we made a rest stop every hundred yards or so, we'd find a clump of grass to stand on. Dad called a halt and he an I found a grass clump and stood there. The NCO walked up between us and stood without finding a clump. As we stood there, he kept getting shorter and shorter, and Dad finally stepped off his clump and started walking. Our friend tried to take a step, swayed like a tree, and fell flat on his back. He went "smooth out of sight" in the water and came up spluttering.

We laughed, and laughed, and laughed. He didn't think it was very funny, but he got over it.

Several years later, that man introduced me to single malt scotch. He's been a good family friend for many years.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #13
603Country

PawPaw, you got me to laughing about friends and that Gumbo mud. I took 2 guys (city guys) up to North Louisiana to deer hunt many years ago. One of them just wouldn't listen to much of anything I said, one of which was "to get to and from your hunting blind, don't walk directly across the muddy field". I told him that the mud was pretty serious, so walk around the edges of the field where there were leaves and trees and where the mud was not so deep. The other guy and I got back from the stand that first morning and were cooking breakfast. I heard something and looked and the other guy (I warned him) had decided just to take the shortest route back - right across the field. He got half way and just flat ran out of gas. Help me, he said, I can't move my feet. The other guy and I just laughed and had breakfast and I told the stuck guy to just "get here when you can". He finally reached us, but he was so weak that we had to pre-chew his food. Oh, and he said that he didn't see any deer, but there were a lot of brown things out in the bean field when the sun came up. Duh! Must've been 25 deer or more.
Old January 15, 2012, 04:35 PM   #14
rickyrick

What's this mysterious substance which you call mud??

Looked like fun.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15
603Country

That gumbo mud in Louisiana will clump up on your boots or ATV tires till your feet weigh 50 pounds each or the ATV tires quit rolling. For Louisiana mud, at least where I grew up near the Mississippi River, your ATV really needs to be 4 wheel drive so you can keep the wheels rolling to sling the mud off. Otherwise it'll clump up between tire and frame and you'll just slooooooowly come to a halt. Once you stick one of those 2 wheel drive ATV's you are in trouble. The mud on my Texas place is thinner, thank goodness.

rickyrick, it isn't fun. Fun is a 3 letter word that starts with F, but trust me that you'll want more letters in your words when you get stuck in that stuff.
Old January 16, 2012, 01:48 PM   #16
5RWill

Same here most of our land is buckshot or buckshot mixed with the clay kind of stuff.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #17
5RWill

Here's another good one. Not hunting but still representative of the mud here in the delta haha. Thats my father on the left looking concerned. Same worker has buried a tractor every year

Old January 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #18
mdd

My pappy told me a long time ago that when you stick a tractor you stop fighting it. If you fight it thinking your going to get it out you're only gonna bury it to the axles and then you do have problems. Nice 8230 by the way.
Old January 19, 2012, 01:30 AM   #19
5RWill

Thanks man. Yeah he tells this guy the same thing. "If the tires start to spin just get off. I'll come get it" Our workers don't know about the differential lock which is probably a good thing. Hell this tractor looks great compared to what he did with our MX240 a year ago.

We have both Case and John Deere but i've come to adopt the "nothing runs like a Deere" Slogan nowadays. Especially when considering resale value.