The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 14, 2009, 02:59 PM   #151
arcticap

Quote:
By the way, I was told you have to have a certified range officer on duty at group shootings. Is that so?
It really depends on the formality of the event and the organization and whether the general public or competition is involved or if it's a club or commercial business.
Someone often needs to be in charge and to act as a range officer, but at many private clubs there is no range officer present unless there is an organized shoot scheduled.
However there are establish range safety rules that people are obliged to follow whether there's a range officer present or not.
For competition, there is usually a range officer who is in charge of scoring and overseeing how the match is run, called or commenced.
But I'm not aware of any law that requires a certified range officer to be present for a simple gathering of a group of shooters. A private land owner may not be a range officer and may not require one if he leases his land to a group of shooters.
For most commercial ranges and shooting clubs, having some sort of liability insurance is important. An affiliation with a shooting organization like the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA) or the NRA may help to make having insurance cheaper. For one of my clubs, each member pays the equivalent of $7 per year of their yearly dues to cover the cost of insurance, and that cost is based on the total number of members in the club. That might be an addition to the base cost of the property/liability insurance, I'm not sure.

Last edited by arcticap; August 14, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old August 17, 2009, 07:25 PM   #152
Hardy

Articap I aquired a phily Jucar derringer What is it worth---excellent condition. Also I got an over and other derringer with pearl grips--probably 36 calliber maybe. It looks like an original but don't know. No markings except serial #0003310. Also, a brass double barrel w/ no markins derringer. I got a armi jagger 50 c musket. I have no idea what they are worth and what to ask. Is the musket worth 150 but the pearl handle over and under derringer==It might be valuable. Is the phily derringer worth at leat 100

WBH
Old August 17, 2009, 07:31 PM   #153
Hardy

Articap I aquired a phily Jucar derringer What is it worth---excellent condition. Also I got an over and other derringer with pearl grips--probably 36 calliber maybe. It looks like an original but don't know. No markings except serial #0003310. Also, a brass double barrel w/ no markins derringer. I got a armi jagger 50 c musket. I have no idea what they are worth and what to ask. Is the musket worth 150 but the pearl handle over and under derringer==It might be valuable. Is the phily derringer worth at leat 100

WBH
Old August 17, 2009, 07:49 PM   #154
Hardy

WBH
Old August 17, 2009, 08:28 PM   #155
Hardy

Hit the button too much didn't I--sorry.
Old August 18, 2009, 12:51 AM   #156
arcticap

A Jukar Derringer in really good shape should be worth about $100 without needing to twist anyone's arm!
I don't know what the Armi Jager is without seeing it but if it's clean and the price sounds fair to you then it sounds fair to me.
I can tell that you're having some fun with the new toys.

Last edited by arcticap; August 18, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old August 20, 2009, 08:40 PM   #157
Hardy

Thanks Articap. So far the store made enough this month to pay rent and utilities. I am talking w/an insur guy about carrying Goex. Will keep you posted. Here is a dilema: (I hope you can advize me on) I live on 9 acres and shoot my pistols occasionally. I hear a big 12 gauge boom across the crick. I saw my neighbor today and talked w/him. He's afraid I'm gonna shoot his little boy. Of course, I shared his concern and explained to him that these guns are for hobby and I only shoot into a safe area. I'm down in a hollow and we have a small barn 16X20 that was used as a recording studio in my band days. There are 3 sheets of plywood all around plus 1/4 inch styrophome to sound proof it. You can go inside and yell and no one will here you. I told him that the only times I shoot is against targets against the side of this old building. If by any crazy chance that you missed the side -its a hundred yards to the next property line and you have trees and a huge creek bank behind that. He said that he was afraid I might shoot his young son which lives hundres of yards behind all this. Anyway, I'm not gonna shoot anyone and wouldn't shoot if I thought there was a danger. Here's 2 good questions:----since i have a sound proof bldg. Can I put an exhaust fan in it and shoot guns? #2 How far can these c/b pistols shoot deadly. I would think a 36 c/ w25 grains couldn't do much over 100 yards. But it might and I'm not gonna try it. But how far will one shoot befoe it runs outa steam ? and do you think this old building would make a good firing range for two to three shooters with an industrial exhaust?
WBH
Old August 20, 2009, 08:58 PM   #158
ClemBert

As long as what you are doing is legal, safe, and reasonable I wouldn't worry about the neighbor. In Florida there aren't any state laws that prevent shooting anywhere on your own property. You just have to make sure you are on your property and your bullets stay on the property. There is a county noise ordinance here that stipulates you must be 300 feet from a residence. If you are within your property line but standing within inches of your neighbor's property as long as your neighbor's house is 300 feet away you can discharge your firearm without issue. In fact, the law is only in regards to multiple discharges. Thus, you may do a single discharge on your property even if it is within 300 feet of your neighbor's house. This after all is a noise ordinance nothing more. If your bullet leaves your property then you are a goner if they can prove it. Anyhow, just be safe and reasonable. No sense in pissin' off the neighbors but I wouldn't give up my rights just to please everyone either if they didn't have reasonable cause. The above is for unincorporated parts of the county and do not apply to city limits.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:07 PM   #159
Hardy

oh, by the way--the 3 sheets of plywood and insulation are on the inside and there is 1/3 "siding board on the outside covering all this. And the hundreds of yards i was talking about are past the hundred or so yards past my bldg protected by creek bank. I'm also in a non zoned area with no neighborhood restrictions and I don't think someone should come to the creek bank and fire off 1 12 g shot to state a point!!
WBH
Old August 20, 2009, 09:27 PM   #160
Hardy

Thanks Clembert. But you know, it's a fine line between being a friendly neighbor and excersizing your legal rights. That's why I posted this. Newbies will want to fire off their new pistols. they're loud!!! So lets get the best advise we can muster up on shooting our guns on small tracts around neighboring homes...and still keep piece with our neighbors. It's easy to make enemies but requires constitution, effort and work to gain friends.
WBH
Old August 20, 2009, 09:39 PM   #161
Hardy

Clembert, are you saying you can just do ONE discharge in FL. You can't shoot anymore?
Old August 20, 2009, 09:44 PM   #162
Hardy

Ok--Had a long day and crs set in again. Re-read Clemberts post. He didn't say that. I get that if you're over 300 ft away you can shoot all you want. If you're within 300 "just one" Is that right C?
Old August 20, 2009, 09:50 PM   #163
ClemBert

Yup, it's a county noise ordinance...they just don't want you making constant big booms next to someone's house. I assume the ordinance is meant to allow you to discharge your firearm within 300 feet of someone's residence if you need to use your firearm to shoot a 17' foot python that wants a snack or some other self defense purpose.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:52 PM   #164
ClemBert

Not that a reasonable person would want to do this but suppose your neighbor's house is next to the property line. Suppose you put a shooting backstop next to his house but on your side of the property line. Suppose you backup 300 feet and shoot into said backstop.....completely legal....
Old August 20, 2009, 10:12 PM   #165
Hardy

In SC you can legally shoot a gun as long as you're on your own property(No matter the size) and in the county. Wait, I mean Spartanburg County. We got Sherriff deputies coming in and they say that if someone screams at you for shooting then they are in the wrong and they'll be placed under arrest. I don't think many people know this. I guess the point is--I could call the sheriff and have neighbors yelling at me arrested or firin off a gun to make a point for intimidation. But I ainta gonna do that! I am still thinkin about that exhaust fan and how far do these guns shoot
Old August 20, 2009, 10:31 PM   #166
ClemBert

Anything you can do within reason to keep the neighbors happy is always a good idea. However, some neighbors just aren't reasonable and there will be no pleasing them unless you don't own guns. I have a feeling that you being in Sparkle City you are in much better shape than say the suburbs of Orlando where the yankees have infiltrated and they come from places where gun ownership is not the norm. Some of these yahoos just don't seem to understand that they are in the countryside and that's what people do in the countryside....they discharge firearms, legally and safely.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:48 PM   #167
Smokin_Gun

Here in CA the law is that a firearm can not be discharged within 650 feet from any road. Not with in the City Limits, or near or towards and dwelling outside the City Limits or on BLM Territory...
So even Huntin' Jacks and Rattlers you must be aware and Scout out your surroundings.
To answer of the distance question Billy, a long ways :O)
Figure the bullet weight or Drop at 100yads and with a chrono the velocity...then cypher it at any given distance till it would peter out.
I jus' rather say along way... HeeHee!~
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; August 20, 2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old August 20, 2009, 11:08 PM   #168
Hardy

Well Sparkle city has been infiltrated too. We all know how the goverment and economy is going. At least most of us. We could fly a rebel battle flag in front of our store next to the stars and stripes---but my better judgement says no. We could say that we're selling Civil War era and fly both flags! The media and others would kill us. So we don't. -and with all that's going on and racial tension, I'm afraid that'd backfire! But you know--all the reinactors and southern boys will not AND I mean NOT buy a gun that is not BRASS FRAME. If I order more guns they will have to be the cheap pietta brass navy 44's possibly a few Spiller and Burrs . The JH Dance is too expensive. Cabella offers the unscrolled brass navy dirt cheap/ I'll sell those at the cost hopin to get them in for other stuff. The springs break though. Somewhere in this whole topic of BP threads, brass guns are a no no by some BP expert. He'd have a hard time convincing different In this SC shop. So far in this here shop, a steel frame gun collects dust!! Now I only learned from yall. What bout that exhaust fan and how far do deze guns shoot. I do believe Ubertie is a better product but their parts cost more.
WBH
Old August 20, 2009, 11:21 PM   #169
Hardy

Smokin! Glad you came in. Now How far did you say one would shoot?! Yu confused me. Can you hit targets w/ a 36 Navy 100 yards away(Not a Rem)---and if it is a 1 by 4 board---will it pentrate it. Now before you say yes--can you do it at a 150 yards? If yu come to the gunshop yu better be orderin brass frames for us!

Wild Billy
Old August 20, 2009, 11:23 PM   #170
ClemBert

Hardy, dem guns shoot far! It is said a 22LR will go over a mile. Methinks a .45 powered by 60 grains of BP would go far too. Is it your intent to shoot into or out of your shack? The fan question implies shooting out of the shack...I assume to keep the noise down and thus not draw attention. If so you're gonna need a big fan to clear dat smoke. Personally, I like to share my glorious smoke for all to see and enjoy.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:44 PM   #171
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Can you hit targets w/ a 36 Navy 100 yards away(Not a Rem)---and if it is a 1 by 4 board---will it pentrate it. Now before you say yes--can you do it at a 150 yards?
Yup I can kill 1gal Milk jugs full a water at 100 yds with an 1851 Colt Vavy .36, or the 1858 Rem NMA Police in
.36 cal... Never paced a 150 yds for a .36 Rev but it still goes crack onb a big rock at that distance and kicks up dust. So I'd say yes it'd penetrate a piece a plywood maybe at 150 yds...
Buy me a Ransom Pistol rest and I'll dial in a Jug for ya... :O)

Ok I got you on the brass handguns ... you want one of these Chess Sets to pass time at work?

It's jus' real hard for me to understand why people would not rather buy one a these...
Sophia A. Uberti one a my sweethearts...

Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 20, 2009, 11:55 PM   #172
ClemBert

Quote:
It's jus' real hard for me to understand why people would not rather buy one a these...
Sophia A. Uberti one a my sweethearts...
Apparently, some people would rather spend their time trying to pound out wedges or unjamming spent caps rather than shootin'. Go figure...

Regarding brass frames...even a transplanted South Carolinian like myself will avoid brass if I can. I have too many non-brassies to get before I get to the point where I need a brassie for the collection. I do empathize though with the fellas doing the reenactments and such that need proper gear. Some fellas, I'm sure, just refuse to buy anything that resembles a yankee design...memories are long and unlikely to wane anytime soon.

Now, as far as the distance where blood is drawn I'd just assume avoid my projectiles leaving the property. Where I'm at if they can prove your lead went past your property line then its da big house for ya....much less hitting someone. I guess your aim is to convince your neighbor that the plywood will keep from killin' his boy. Your neighbor hasn't conviced me he is keeping his lead on his property...
Old August 21, 2009, 09:30 AM   #173
kflach
Registration in progress

One of the best ways to keep your neighbors from complaining about the noise from your party is to invite the neighbor to the party. Have you considered inviting that neighbor to shoot with you once? Maybe he'll get a better sense of what you're doing to make sure his boy is safe.

Just an idea....
Old August 21, 2009, 06:25 PM   #174
Hardy

I Luv you guys--um I mean Ya'll. How would I learn things wif out you! No--I don't shoot across my property or indanger passerbys. But, I just didn't think one of these wheel guns could not do much at over a hundred yards unless you fired it above tree tops. I guess I was wrong. Smokin. Can you hear me. I want to see you shoot that 36 at 100 yards in a milk jug. You'll be our little black shop store legend Now about that shack: what I want to do is put an industrial restaurant fan on left side and vent the 2 windows on the right. The door is on the left front and there is a mounted air conditioner on the front right side. The room is small but so well insulated that you could shoot at targets about 15 ft away and not disturb w/noise. I'm just wondering if fan will draw smoke out with windows vented on right and airconditioner forcing in air from the front. A H/A friend said it will work but he doesn't know about BP smoke. But, it's a good idea. Also, still waiting to hear from Insurance about Goex. I'll tell you that Ballistol is our biggest seller as far as cleaning. Pyrodexfff is good. And yes--I don't care for the brassers as well but I just wanted to tell you what buyers coming in that want a BP pistol. Look at Cabela. Look at an unscrolled navy pietta that they price. We haven't got the true connosuiors for these guns-yet! Smokin--they do like the rems. I have then for $261.00 can't sell them any cheaper. But hadn't sold one yet except a spare cylinder.

WBH
Old August 21, 2009, 06:32 PM   #175
Hardy

I meant maybe 20 ft. The room is about 16 X25