The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 3, 2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Dilligaf

Blackhawk Speed Classic product review

While Blackhawk is famous (infamous?) for their kydex and nylon style holsters, including the serpa locking holsters, I didn't know they made a line of leather holsters as well.

I was browsing the holster selection at my favorite local gun shop (Firepower Inc) and saw a J-Frame section with several styles of holster. Unfortunately, most had thumb breaks for snubbies with an exposed hammer. The first one I picked up without a thumb break was a Blackhawk leather "Speed Classic" style holster made along the lines of the Don Hume Jit holster.

The big difference being that the trigger guard is captured and the pistol secured in the holster by a bit of elastic.

Since my lap has become a Dunlap (Done lapped over my belt) over the last few years, I am more drawn to OWB holsters over IWB.

The price was right ($21.95) so I figured I would give it a shot.

The holster is shaped nicely, though the leather is a little on the thin side.

As you can see, it is set up like a JIT holster

And here is the elastic I spoke about earlier

The draw is easier than I thought it would be. It would appear that you have to push forward to release the trigger guard before pulling up. The elastic allows the trigger guard to slide loose using the rounded shape with a firm pull straight up, while holding it securely in the holster otherwise. The holster remained open at the top and re-holstering was easy as well.

One big consideration for me is a holster must be secure enough for use on a motorcycle for extended periods over some of the worst roads in any city I have ever lived. I wore this holster all over town today with no issues.

Conclusion: For the price, this is a surprisingly nice holster, comfortable and secure. Time will tell if it holds up over the long haul, but if you ever wondered if you might want a more expensive JIT, this might be a good way to try it out without spending a lot of money.