The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2005, 09:42 PM   #1
jsflagstad

7mm Rem Mag 100 Grain Load????

I picked up some Sierra 100 Grain HP's and I am having difficulty finding load data for them in my 7mm Rem Mag. The purpose of this ammo will be for general purpose dispatching of varmint nusance animals and possibly some coyote hunting . Id like to get them up around 3500-4000 fps if possible .

I'd also like to find some data for loading this same bullet in my 7mm-08 as well, but that data seems hard to come by too .

I have been around to many of the webpages, but have seen nothing.

Any ideas out there????

Thanks,

JSF
Old December 27, 2005, 10:11 PM   #2
HSMITH

I tried some of those in my 7mag and a 280, accuracy was TERRIBLE at anything above about 3200 fps and not real good below that in both rifles. I suspect that the twist in most hunting rifles is way too fast for a bullet that light.

My data was from an old Lyman manual, really old and probably not good to use with current powders.
Old December 29, 2005, 12:21 AM   #3
onlybrowning

light 7mm loads

at that high of a speed you will have trouble with a common twist rate. At that high of speed you will also lose significant barrel life.