The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2002, 10:51 AM   #1
Jack Straw

What's up with flattened case mouths?

Well I finally got to try a load in my Kimber that I have been wanting to try. I cast the bullets from Lee's 200gr. SWC mold, seated them to 1.255" and launched them with 4.3 grains of TiteGroup. As it turns out it was a good load in my gun -- accurate with little recoil. I noticed though that some of the fired brass was slightly flattened on one side of the case mouth. It wasn't severe so I don't consider it a problem, I'm just wondering what caused it and why.

Jack
Old August 2, 2002, 11:41 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

Usually it's something in the extraction or ejection process. The brass impacts your weapon-sorta how AK's and Galils have the tendency to dent or almost bend their brass in half on ejection. I've noticed before, but have never really thought much about it.
Then again, you could be stepping on your brass.
Old August 2, 2002, 02:30 PM   #3
stans

Sounds like the brass is impacting the ejection port wall. Unless the dents are severe, it is not a problem. If you are getting severe dents, the the port wall need to be a little lower or the extractor and/or ejector need to be tuned.
Old August 2, 2002, 02:54 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

I think port alteration is a lazy substitute for proper extractor and ejector tuning.

Sam