The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 4, 2000, 10:01 PM   #1
Hard Ball

The Marine Corps has adopted the new M1014 Combat Shotgun system. it will supplement or replace existing service inventories o 12 gage pump action shotguns,
The M1014 was devekoped by Heckler & Koch and Benelli. It is a semiautomatic shotgun which can chanber and fire either 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch 12 gage shotgun shells. it is gas operated and semiautomatic, It has a tubular magazine which can hole either nine 2 3/4 inch orseven 3 inch 12 gage shotgun shells. IT will have an 18.5 inch barrel with screw in internal choke tubes. It will have rifle sights and a ghost ring rear sight. The Marine Corps has type classified the M1914 and plans to procure 4,000 weapons in the next 12 months. Thr Army will continue to test the M1014 and wikk make a procurement decsion on or beforeSeptember 2001,
Old May 4, 2000, 10:32 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Moving to Shotguns.
Old May 4, 2000, 11:25 PM   #3
Coronach

Interesting. Any pictures? How is its reliability/performance?

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old May 5, 2000, 12:19 AM   #4
Sea Bass

It's pictured in the new Benelli catalog.
Old May 5, 2000, 12:56 AM   #5
ModIMark0

If this is the case, then I hope that the Marines will sell off the Remington 870 Mk.I's (and parts) that they have had in their inventory for over 30 years. I have wanted one of the Mk.I's for about 8 years (about the first time I saw it).
Old May 5, 2000, 05:19 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Interesting, Hardball,thanks for posting. I've been expecting the adoption of a semi-auto for quite a while.

Does anyone here know about the first Military Semi Auto shotgun? It was the venerable Remington Model 11, used in trench warfare in WWI.

Finally, after all those semi autos are issued,used and retired, the 870s they replaced will still be going and going and going, IF the Govt releases them to surplus. THIS administration is more likely to cut them up.
Old May 5, 2000, 07:50 AM   #7
Icopy

Check out HKPRO.Com for info on the M4. Specials Weapons for law enforcement magazine, I think that's the one, just did a great article on it. It will be available for civilian sale after the Marine get theirs. Of course, the civilian version probally won't have the collaspable stock.

[This message has been edited by Icopy (edited May 05, 2000).]
Old May 5, 2000, 11:37 AM   #8
Gorthaur

It'll be interesting to see what the civilian version will look like. I'd guess the telescoping stock won't be an option. According to the Benelli catalog, there are three different stock options.

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
Old May 5, 2000, 02:27 PM   #9
Shin-Tao

@#&*$#!! Now I gotta go re-enlist!!
Old May 5, 2000, 02:38 PM   #10
Gorthaur

They also mention being able to speed load five shells at a time with some kind of loader. Kewl.

------------------
Old May 5, 2000, 03:21 PM   #11
tackdriver

good thing it isn't ugly
Old May 5, 2000, 03:58 PM   #12
Hard Ball

The Coast Guard is going to adopt it too. They believe it will be quite handy for boarding parties when they stop ships or boats they suspect are carrying drugs or illegal aliens.
Old May 5, 2000, 05:57 PM   #13
Eric of IN

Hard Ball, It doesn't surprise me that the CG let the Marines develop the gun, and then they come along and say "We think that would be good for... Can we have the design?" They've been doing it for years. They don't have much money for R&D, and what little they do have normaly goes into stuff that only they do. The 47' Motor Surf Boat comes to mind. They developed that, but their main land based helo, the Jayhawk is an adapted Blackhawk. The 110' Patrol Boat was lifted from the Brits. A lot of the smaller Aids TO Navigation (ATON) boats are converted fishing boats. The USCG is the most frugal of the services, and they can get away with it, because who's going to say "no" to the people who may be pulling you out of the drink?

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.
Old May 5, 2000, 06:17 PM   #14
Russell

The Civie version can only have one of the following thanks to the 94' AW since its a semi auto shotgun

1)Pistol grip stock
2)folding or telescoping stock
3)magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds
4)Detachable magazine with capacity limited to 5 rounds (since it doesn't have a detach mag, this does not apply)

If it was me I would go with the full magazine capacity and a standard stock. That telescoping stock just looks too wierd to me, I wouldn't get it even if it was an option, I would probably just get a standard pistol grip stock if that was available.
Old May 5, 2000, 07:26 PM   #15
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Review. I wonder if the collapsed stock's length of pull would be long enough for shoulder fire for smaller shooters like myself?
Old May 5, 2000, 08:10 PM   #16
robins

Not wanting to start a war, just asking: So if this is what the marine corp is going to use for warfare, how does this fit in with the topic posted recently of pistol grip-stock vs. regular stock where the majority said regular stock was the only way to go?
Old May 5, 2000, 08:29 PM   #17
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Robins - a full length stock with a pistol grip vrs. one with a "standard" (semi-pistol) grip is a non-issue.

What most of us don't reccommend is the pistol grip only shotguns. (Moss 500 Persuader, Pachmyer replacements, etc) Time and again, they just don't work well.

I have both qualified with and competed with pistol grip only guns. None of mine are equipped with one now.

Giz
Old May 5, 2000, 08:31 PM   #18
Hard Ball

Yhe Marine Corps resolutely refuses to be part of any majority.
Old May 5, 2000, 08:32 PM   #19
robins

Couldn't agree more. Just got me confused since I tried to clarify the issue in that post and it still seemed that if it had any pistol grip on the weapon at all, it was somehow inferior.

Anyway, glad that's cleared up. Thanks.
Old May 6, 2000, 07:19 AM   #20
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A coupla things....

I see no bayonet lug. Are Uncle Sam's Misguided Children abandoning cold steel on what's obviously a CQ weapon?

As for ammo, I'd be surprised if they hadn't researched the idea of shorter cases,to up the mag capacity a bit.7 3inch=9 2.75inch= X 2 inch. And, speed loaders for tube mags have been around since the days of the Spencer, in the Civil War.

And what about slugs, specialty ammo like fletchettes,etc?

And finally, did the specs call for an ambi safety?
Old May 6, 2000, 12:36 PM   #21
Hard Ball

Dave:
Most shotguns are not designed to endure the stress amd strains imposed on the weapon during bayonet fighting. If it were, the weight of the shotgun would be incresed two or more ponds.
Old May 6, 2000, 08:40 PM   #22
Sea Bass

I thought that speed-loading aren't reliable?
Any opionions on loading tubes?
Old May 6, 2000, 11:00 PM   #23
Gorthaur

The implication is that this design works with speedloaders. The catalog says: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>That bulge at the bottom of the receiver lets the soldier cram five fresh rounds from a speedloader into the tubular magazine.[/quote]

------------------
Old May 7, 2000, 06:18 AM   #24
Ned Roundtree

Great looking shotgun. Thanks for the post.
Old May 7, 2000, 08:32 AM   #25
fal308
Staff Alumnus

There have been a couple of postings on the M4 here before. Use the search feature with the words [i]Benelli/i] and M4. One of the postings lists some of the specs and requirements IIRC.