The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 18, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Sabre9mm

Scopes, scopes, scopes...

Opinions on scopes, best deal for the money, trying to keep it under $200 but I know how my budgeting works .

Shot with My Lady's father today. He has a .280 and a .17 both with pretty nice looking scopes, I did not stop and think at the time to look at the brand I think I saw BSA on one??

What I did notice though is that the one on the .280 was 14x and once he had it sighted in, it was nice being able to use it to see the accuracy up close, and really easy to shoot at a target you couldn't otherwise see.

So to go on the top of my S&W, I would like something with the quick detach (Unless this is just a bad idea, I would figure that someone makes a scope you can zero and detach)

Since I have no brand loyalty, where are the breaks here? Can I get a good one for < $200 or would I have to go higher to get one I would be proud of, if so how much, and or links?
Old August 18, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Clifford L. Hughes

Sabre9mm:

Although a Leoupold or a Burris is a little out of your price range, they fit your needs well. Your rifle will only shoot as g ood as your scope. I would rather have a less expensive rife and a more expensive scope.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old August 18, 2012, 06:52 PM   #3
math teacher

I second Clifford. You will really see the difference in scopes in low light. For all optics, buy the best you can afford.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Eghad

For a little over $200.00 Leupold makes a series of scopes with a lifetime guarantee. I have found them in 2-7x and 3-9x. If you want something with more magnification it is going to cost you between $400-$600 for a decent scope with a good guarantee. You might get lucky and find something a tad under $400.

NRA Life Member
Old August 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
jmr40

A Leupold VX-1 in most power ranges with a standard duplex is $199.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-...pe-P51827.aspx

Well they were last time I looked, I see they are $229 now.

Leupold upgraded their entire lineup in January of this year. All lines of scopes are better than last years models. I paid $199 for one a couple of months ago and it is by far the best $200 scope I've tried.

In the under $200 range I like the Redfield Revolution or older Burris FF-II if you can find one. I do not care for the newer Burris E-1. The Nikons aren't bad and have thier fans, but have some features that are a deal killer for me. Same with Bushnell. The Vortex Diamondback is a $200 scope that has good features, but once again a few that rule them out for me. Others like them.

If you can squeeze $30 more into your budget the VX-1 is really well worth the extra money.

I'd stay with a lower powered scope. More X's equal more money, as do large objectives. In your price range you will get more scope for your money with a 3-9X40. A 4-12, especally with a 50mm objective selling at the same price will be a much lower quality scope. Buy quality, not X's.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Sabre9mm

I could squeeze the extra out, $200 is where I started, I always seem to set my budget just below where it should be.

I may check some pawn shops etc, may be able to get a good deal, would only buy it there is it were in mint condition though.

I appreciate the suggestions, some of those Nikons look nice for the price, how much of a compromise would they be? They make high end cameras, I would assume their optics knowledge is sound?

As well how hard will it be to detach / reattach without (with some reasonable acceptance) loosing zero.

Are things like this viable http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-...ope-rings.html or are their other products that are.

I accept a few MM of can equate to way off long range, but I know these things exist, just not sure how practiccal they are...

Are they just outside my price range?
Old August 18, 2012, 09:45 PM   #7
longlane

Midway Leupold Blemished Sale...

Some nice deals to be had here. Cosmetic 'damage' only apparently. Worth a glance as you search.
Old August 18, 2012, 10:50 PM   #8
big al hunter

Vortex diamondback series is a mid budget scope that will perform well if you are not shooting long range (400 + yards) . The warranty is amazing. Any problems are covered no questions. The rings and mounts you linked will make your scope off and on easy. You will have to use them to see how well it holds zero when detached and replaced. It could go right back to zero, it could be a few inches off. If your not hunting, no big deal. A couple shots will get you back to zero. Your choice of equipment is a personal decision hope this helps you decide.

What caliber will this scope be mounted to.
Old August 18, 2012, 11:31 PM   #9
Sabre9mm

5.56 / .223

I am shopping around to try and make a list of most wanted, going to see what I can find at the pawn/gun shops.

I just took back the Vortex sparc red dot, it had a halo in the optics, and rattled free every ten or so shots, may have just gotten a bad one, it was $199 and just decided to go scope rather than a replacement.
Old August 18, 2012, 11:57 PM   #10
allaroundhunter

I have a Nikon Prostaff mounted on a Savage .270 WSM and it is a great scope. Clarity is top notch and it has held zero very well. I would not hesitate to purchase another Nikon if I needed one to fill a void.

I have the 3-9x40 which typically runs around $150, but the 4-12x40 runs around $200 I believe. They also make them with the BDC (bullet drop compensating) reticle. I have no experience with the BDC reticle, but I have not heard anything bad about it.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old August 19, 2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Sabre9mm

oooooooooo, anyone have experience with OPMOD?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/armasigh...-3x-power.html

Hmm twice the budget, but night vision?
Nice...
Old August 19, 2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Water-Man

Burris Fullfield II - go to SWFA.com
Old August 19, 2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Sabre9mm

Nice, lots of options there...
Doing some research on what all of the options are now, why I would or would not want each, etc...
Old August 19, 2012, 02:23 PM   #14
big al hunter

I also have a couple of Burris scopes. They are good. I also like the Nikon monarch and the Ziess conquest. Personally I have learned to avoid the cheap lines in any make. They tend to be hit and miss in the quality dept. (Sorry for the pun couldn't resist). Particularly tasco, Simmons, and Bushnell low end scopes have let me down when I was hunting. I don't like losing a day or two out of my already short season.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've had two run ins with Optics Planet, and yes, they were so bad I consider them "run ins", not customer service experiences.

If they were the only dealer on the planet that sold what I wanted I'd buy something else.

In regards to which scope to buy, it's hard to say without knowing your use for it. In general, in the $200 arena, I'd look hard at Mueller if you want high magnification. If not, the low powered Luepolds and such are good quality but you can't get high magnification from the high-end brands in that price range.