The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
KC9LDB

Is it worth it to start reloading shotgun?

You know, I was at the range yesterday and i spotted a mess of AA hulls, so i picked them up, so i got a 150 or so and I do have a shotgun shell re loader (mec) that i can have and I am wondering if it is worth it now that ammo is going up???
Input please?
Old March 2, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

just as with any other round.... quality ammovs quality reloads... will be cheaper... but you can buy a cheap factory round cheaper than a quality reload. .... hopefully reloading is better for now.... i just sold a guy over 1,000 12 guage hulls...
Old March 2, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
rwilson452

The last time I inquired at my local gun store the price of shot varied greatly. Even among the various sizes of shot.
Old March 2, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

i think that is the main thing there... the shot prices have doubled in the last 15 yrs..
Old March 2, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
KC9LDB

hmmm, i think ill compare the 100 shells for $25 at walmart to how much it would cost reloading shotshells, ill let the forum know how it goes once i finish. lol time to use some math!!!
Old March 2, 2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Chilecop

Volume

The big question is how much you shoot. Trap and Skeet shooters probably see more savings then the occasional shooter.
Old March 2, 2009, 01:43 PM   #7
oneounceload

it is worth it if you shoot a lot - those 150 hulls would be about what one normal visit to my club would entail. If you shoot that much, two or three times a week, reloading can help. IF you buy components in bulk, buy reclaimed shot in bulk, you can load decent shells for equal to less than wally world. If you use new magnum shot, you'll load better quality shells for about the same as the promos from wally world.

Where you can really save is loading your own hunting loads or subgauge loads in 28 and 410
Old March 2, 2009, 01:47 PM   #8
levrluvr

I've wrestled with it, but have decided not to reload shotgun and just concentrate on metallics. My wife and I shoot trap recreationally only once or twice a month, and I can buy 100ct. gun-club Winchester loads for both the 12 and 20 gauge for $20 here locally. Beating that with reloads can be done (not by much), but I value my free time, so it just doesn't seem worth it.
Old March 2, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
1911 Shooter

12 ga & 20 ga savings are not much, vs cheap shells. compared to high quality AA or Remmy STS, you can save quite a bit.Reloading will give you varibles, light loads , faster loads, cheap hunting shells.

28 & 410 gauge ? Heck, you can pay for a loader in 2 flats, that's where you save the MONEY.
Old March 2, 2009, 03:45 PM   #10
KC9LDB

We shoot alot in the summer, at least once a week, I found the loader its a Mec 600jr mark 5 but it is form a man who also shot 16ga and reloaded 16ga but he also reloaded 12ga too
Is there a way to tell what it is???
Old March 2, 2009, 03:52 PM   #11
a7mmnut

Not unless you plan on shooting a whole LOT for the next 20 or so years, or you just want to learn to custom load ammo. Forget about saving anything. There's no such thing, but it's still all good. -7-
Old March 2, 2009, 04:04 PM   #12
1911 Shooter

kc9

take a 12 ga & 16 ga hull & place it on the hull ram on station 2 on the mec. it will fit one of thise hulls.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Sam06

I am starting back to reloading Shotgun shell after 20 years. I used to reload but stopped, now shotgun shells are getting expensive and I am starting back I am getting to know my old 600jr again.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:19 PM   #14
BigJimP

In terms of cost - I show my 12ga reloads at about $ 4.35 for a box of 25. But I use premium components - equivalent of a new Remington STS hull that retails at $ 7.50 a box. So yes, it is worth the savings.

You can reload a better quality shell - than you can buy at the low end / but if its just for fun, it may not matter to you. But reloading is a part of the hobby - that kind of completes the circle - shooting your own shells, etc - and customizing your loads to suit what you want. It isn't just about the savings. Many of us would reload if there was no savings.

Your time is worth something - and depending on what type of loader you buy / it takes more time. The better progressive MEC loaders will easily do 20 boxes an hour / but even the MEC jr's will do 8 boxes an hour pretty easily for a single stage press. If you're looking at a real old press - it may not have a "resizing station" on it - so you may need some accessories.

On MEC loaders - they are gague specific / you have to have different loaders if you're going to load different gagues. I think the gague is marked on the base of the press/ but you can mike the powder fill tube and it will easily tell you what it is as well.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:29 PM   #15
crowbeaner

I don't worry about the cost per shell of my shotgun shells because I don't shoot trap or skeet regularly; just enough to keep my eye up. The reason I reload my 12 gauge hulls are because I can load 1 1/8 oz. of shot anywhere fron 1100 fps. to 1585 fps. THAT makes lead and time of flight interesting to say the least. Consider that the average sporting clays load of 1 1/8 at 1310 fps. is a kicker after 2 rounds of fire, and you see why I only practice enough to make sure I hit what I'm leading with the bead. I have access to just about any components necessary to load warp drive lead shot, and I can order what I can't find locally. BPI has Lawrence shot for $33 a bag, and shipping is $12 for 50 lbs. I can buy it locally at Gander for $40 a bag and 8% tax. If Gander doesn't have it, I order only what I need. I just loaded 250 AA hulls with Lawrence #4 shot, 1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps. These loads in RP boxes at Wally world are $11.50 and tax. Dick's has them for $16.50, and Gander wants $33 per box. Get the picture? I save beaucoup bucks by reloading. CB.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:43 PM   #16
oneounceload

MEC juniors can be converted to another gauge, BUT it requires the conversion kit, and unlike a Dillon pistol press, it is not a 10 second changeover......you're better off getting a few used ones and set each for a particular gauge.

Big Jim - you must have fast hands and no sore shoulders - the best I get with my Jr.s is 6 boxes, with a primer feed assembly and all components immediately at hand....lol

If you use reclaimed shot, bulk components, you can reload very inexpensively, IF you don't count your time. using this calculator:
http://10xshooters.com/calculators/S...ReloadingCost/

my cost came out to under $3.00/box using components bought in bulk with free hulls
Old March 2, 2009, 07:45 PM   #17
Tex S

Quote:
On MEC loaders - they are gague specific / you have to have different loaders if you're going to load different gagues. I think the gague is marked on the base of the press/ but you can mike the powder fill tube and it will easily tell you what it is as well.
Are you sure? I think my SM77 will do 12 and 20. Not sure though... I've only loaded 12 and that was 4 or 5 years ago.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:39 PM   #18
.45 COLT

You can buy conversions for MECs, but it's a whole lot easier to have a press for each gauge.

As far as cost, premium reloads are much cheaper than factory. Also, I can make loads that aren't available in any factory loadings.

DC
Old March 3, 2009, 12:23 AM   #19
KC9LDB

so what are these little red block type things do? they have 2 holes in them, i have like 5 of them
Old March 3, 2009, 12:29 AM   #20
freakshow10mm

I load for 20ga. I can load a box of shells for under $3.