The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Tacoma

How to dud a primer?

Have a primer stuck in the feed tube of my dillon square deal. Not sure why but it's stuck GOOD!. I may need to drive it out. What should I soak it in to disarm the primer before i pound on it?

p.s. Really getting to hate this dillon!
Old February 12, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2
farmall

Think I'd try soaking it with WD-40, or any petroleum based penetrating oil. This should kill it in about 24 hours. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection when driving it out.
Andy
Old February 12, 2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Tom Matiska

I soaked some in oil for several days to test the theory and they went bang. Apparently, you can only count on oil to ruin a primer if accidently applied in small amounts(see Murphy's Law).

Wear eye protection, shield the area around the primer to control debris, and apply force to the primer sloooooooowly. Fast not good.
Old February 12, 2006, 02:39 PM   #4
MrGee

get yourself a soda bottle empty it less then 1/2 way .. pour the soda you pour'd out into the tube so as the stuck primer is covered w/ the soda
let it sit over-nite then give it a try.. wear glass ab gloves let us know how ya make out..

Edit:> Oooopssss, in case ya didn't figger it out already .. stick the primer tube in the soda bottle [ coke or pepsi works ]
Old February 12, 2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Rico567

WD-40 will not kill primers. Look around one of these boards, you can find a thread on a guy who tried WD-40 and a lot of other things that were "s'posed" to kill primers. They didn't.

Don't rely on WD-40 or anything else to kill a primer. Don't try to drive it out.

Call Dillon at:
800-762-3845 and they will send you a NEW primer tube FREE. They do this for a reason, A stuck primer can happen, and for several reasons, the main one being an out of spec primer, and nothing to do with your Dillon primer feed.

Be happy, reload safely.

- Mark Twain
Old February 12, 2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Russ5924

Throw the Primer tube away and start doing you primers with a hand primer.The first think I did is take all the primer junk off my 550 and put it away. I use a separate small Lee arbor press with a de-caper die to knock out the primers and a Lee hand primer to put them in.A lot less mess and fuss in the long run
Old February 12, 2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Robert M Boren Sr

Funny, I had my dillon for the better part of 5 years now and have never had a problem with the primer feed system, small or large.
Old February 13, 2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Tacoma

Thanks guys, seems a squirt of PB blaster disolved the primer material so it just scooped out of the cup with a small screw driver. I then froze the whole mess and then wrapped the tube in a HOT towel as I applied steady heavy force to a rod. ( Just incase there were two primers in there) It came out. To be honest, I think the Lee has a better primer system once it's tweeked.
Guess I should get some spare tubes and/or just sell the press off. Lost 1/2 a snow day of relading due to this hic-up.
Old February 13, 2006, 11:40 AM   #9
zeisloft

Russ5924, do you do that for rifle or pistol, or all? I cant imagine hand priming ALL my pistol brass. How much time does that add? Assuming I have 6 primer tubes loaded and everything ready, I can load 575ish .45ACP in an hr on my 550. These are not meant to be bullseye ammo mind you, but they feed my Gold Cup a steady diet of accurate (to 25yds) ammo. Just curious.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old February 13, 2006, 08:59 PM   #10
mapwd

Better off just getting rid of the Dillon press, I will take it off your hands and give ya my RCBS turret in exchange!!
Old February 14, 2006, 02:38 AM   #11
Crosshair

I just prime all my brass by hand while I watch TV. Then when I am ready to start messing with powder I have a bin of primed brass ready to go.
Old February 14, 2006, 08:32 AM   #12
Sport45

Quote:
Call Dillon at:
800-762-3845 and they will send you a NEW primer tube FREE. They do this for a reason, A stuck primer can happen, and for several reasons, the main one being an out of spec primer, and nothing to do with your Dillon primer feed.
RTM. I'm glad you got the thing out without hurting yourself. Dillon gives instructions for this very thing. They instruct you to dispose of the tube and call them for another that they will send for free like was said before. Go ahead and get a couple of extra large and small pickup tubes and you won't even have to slow down (much) if this ever happens again.
Old February 18, 2006, 02:50 AM   #13
MrGee

been do'n the same for years RCBS hand primer an TV .. i use 2 plastic coffee cans one on each side of me .. just don't have any snacks while watch'n the boob tube an priming, the brass don't taste so good.. lol's