The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
TacticalDefense1911

Case lube even with carbide dies?

I have a friend that has a fair bit of reloading experience; I'm just getting started. I mentioned something about not needing case lube when using carbide dies and he said that I should still always use case lube regardless. What is everyone elses opinion on the matter? Thanks in advance.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:33 PM   #2
McClintock

Brass or Nickel-plated cases?

For pistol loads, I don't normally use any case lube with my carbide dies using brass cases. However, I tried to load some nickel-plated cases, and I think they would have benefitted from some case lube, as they were pretty hard to size/decap. The nickel cases sure do look purty, though.

It probably won't hurt if you continue to use case lube, but with carbide dies and brass cases, it's not necessary, in my experience.

My $0.02 (adjusted for inflation and exchange from CDN... about 3/4 of a penny).

Cheers!
McClintock
Old April 13, 2009, 02:35 PM   #3
rwilson452

For straight walled pistol cases you don't need to lube when using carbide dies, ( I don't). For bottle necked rifle cases you need to lube always.

Quote:
Case lube even with carbide dies?
I have a friend that has a fair bit of reloading experience; I'm just getting started. I mentioned something about not needing case lube when using carbide dies and he said that I should still always use case lube regardless. What is everyone elses opinion on the matter? Thanks in advance.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:37 PM   #4
alfack

It depends on what you are loading. I never use lube on pistol cartridges w/carbide dies. I use that graphite type powder lube, just on the case necks, when loading rifle cartridges with neck resize only. I use case lube on rifle cartridges that I am full length resizing.

I tend to only buy carbide dies, tho.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
madmo44mag

All my dies are carbide but I lube about every 45th case.
Just helps keep the effort down on a progressive press.
I typically load 1000+ rounds at a time so anything that makes it easier I like.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Dan The Sig Man

I spoke to the Main Tech guy at Lee Precision and take in consideration that they Sell LUBE... He told me that if I buy a set of the Carbide Dies to go with the Turret Press. I DO NOT need to even consider buying the Lube, or ever using it. Now I think that I would listen to the Company that makes the Dies that I have boughten and are on the way. Not saying that personal experience counts for nothing. I know it DOES... I just do what the Manufacturer told me to do, as I have also been told by several others that reload with Carbide. This is just my $.02 worth, which aint much I will tell you.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
firewrench044

bottle neck cases -- always

shorter straight walled cases -- ( 380, 9MM, 45ACP ) not needed

longer straight wall cases --( 30cal. carb ) lub every other case
Old April 13, 2009, 03:35 PM   #8
cobra81

I have Lee carbide dies for .30 Carbine, and they recommend lube in their instruction sheet included with the die set. I have found I can lube about every tenth case and things go fine. I tried no lube for awhile and ran into quite a bit of resistance on the ram stroke. YMMV.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Dingoboyx

+1 no lube on straight brass cases

I dont use CL on 44-40 either (they are almost straight, small bottleneck) I do keep the inside of my dies clean and a little oil (on a pistol barrel cleaning rod & wad) and a little Inox on the last wad. (provides a little lube & stops rust) I do this before & after a run.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:50 PM   #10
That'll Do

I lube every 10th case when working with straight walled pistol brass. I've found that it makes resizing my 9mm Luger and 40 S&W cases easier. And I like it when things are easy.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:56 PM   #11
CrustyFN

For straight wall pistol for me it's a waste of time because at some point it will have to be cleaned off. You will find that most people who lube pistol cases are loading on a progressive where you have four cases going into four dies at the same time.
Rusty
Old April 13, 2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Dan The Sig Man

Yeah as for 9mm and .40 S&W... I dont know anyone Personally that lubes at all, just rifle. Like I said, I called Lee themselves and they sell Lube, and the guy said that if you own their Carbide Dies, you DO NOT have to lube straight wall pistol. It is nothing more than and extra step and it gets messy for pistol brass.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:01 PM   #13
brickeyee

Lube about 10% of the cases and run one of those through the carbide about every tenth case.

It is NOT required, but greatly reduces the work.

ALL bottle neck cases require lubrication, carbide or steel die.
Old April 13, 2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Ozzieman

I have a set of Redding dies that I bought back in the 80's for 44 mag,,,,
I load thousands of 44 special ever year and although I clean the dies often and run a patch with break free through them when I am done cleaning, its only for corrosion, These dies are as good as when they were new, there are no marks or scratches on the sizing die.
Personally I think that dirty cases will cause more problems than lack of lube and one reason that I never lube cases going into carbide dies. Once you put lube on the cases they are magnets to dust or metal particles.
Carbide dies are made to be used without lube and I feel that is the best way to use them.
Old April 13, 2009, 05:43 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

I don't lube any pistol cases, when used in carbide dies. (But, I do clean and oil the dies after every use.)
Rifle cases are a different story. Lack of lube = stuck case. (for almost all rifle cartridges.)
Old April 13, 2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Dingoboyx

If the dude @ lee says its fine not to use it

Thats good enough for me

I wont feel like I am being norty now
Old April 13, 2009, 07:51 PM   #17
TacticalDefense1911

Thanks for all the replys guys!
Old April 13, 2009, 08:03 PM   #18
jaguarxk120

With the carbide dies (pistol) I put the cases into a plastic bag and give them a short spray of cheap furniture polish, mix them up a bit then resize. They go through the dies as if greased, and the polish will come off in the tumbler.