The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 16, 2015, 01:01 PM   #1
DMY

Breakfree CLP

Does anyone believe Breakfree CLP is worth the money? It is advertised to clean, lube and protect (C.L.P.), but it is more expensive than buying good old Hoppe's #9 and Remington oil. I use Hoppe's #9 liberally and can see "wasting" the lubing and protection aspects while scrubbing powder and lead residue from my guns. I don't live in a humid environment, so I don't see much benefit over less expensive standard gun oil.
I remember when the original Breakfree oil was first manufactured, you had to shake the bottle to mix 2 or more components. After storing my guns for a few months, there would be a slightly gummy residue left. I would rather spend my money on other shooting products unless the CLP has some benefit which Remington Oil or other less expensive lube lacks.
Old November 16, 2015, 02:47 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Know a guy who kept 5 or 6 (I think it was) 1919 .30 Cal MG's running for a whole day with one 3 ounce bottle of LSA. CLP is just a brand name for that.
Good old Hoppe's #9 is just solvent. Nothing special. Neither is Remington brand oil. CLP doesn't replace either.
Old November 16, 2015, 02:52 PM   #3
Doyle

I definitely use it. I haven't found the need to find anything else for "light oil".
Old November 19, 2015, 11:37 AM   #4
9x18_Walther

I've been over this a few times with others.

Either clean then lubricate with two products or one.

Your choice...

I think two products works better because when you apply CLP as a lubricant some of the solvent for cleaning evaporates later leaving less product than applied behind.
Old November 19, 2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
I think two products works better because when you apply CLP as a lubricant some of the solvent for cleaning evaporates later leaving less product than applied behind.
9x18_Walther is offline Report Post
I see that as a good thing. You'll notice I said I use CLP as a "light lubricant". To me, there are 3 different types of lubricant needed on firearms. First is a grease for high-stress/friction - used for things like bolt-action locking lugs or maybe the slide on a semi-auto pistol. Second is medium weight oil used for things with a regular metal to metal contact but not high stress/friction - think hammer pivot point, etc. Lastly, is the light lubricant needed for pretty much anything else. For that last usage, I only want the slightest film. That is where CLP really shines. I can spray it on then hit it with the air hose to dry it out.
Old November 19, 2015, 01:36 PM   #6
mehavey

Get a quart of Mobil-1 Full Synthetic and quit worrying.
(FWIW: also compatible w/ BP)
Old November 19, 2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
Get a quart of Mobil-1 Full Synthetic and quit worrying
That's my "medium" weight oil.
Old November 19, 2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Xfire68

I have used it in the past and found it works just fine. I try "New" stuff all the time just to see how it works. CLP does the job and if you don't want to use more harsh solvents it is a option.

Is it worth more money that buying 1-2 other items? Maybe?
Old November 20, 2015, 08:46 AM   #9
adamBomb

Quote:
Does anyone believe Breakfree CLP is worth the money?
While its more expensive than the others, it's still only like $6-7 at walmart so try it out and see if it you like it better. I use breakfree clp because its easier to use one vs two. Overall it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you taking care of the gun.
Old November 20, 2015, 09:19 AM   #10
PolarFBear

Used this by the 5 gallon bucket on 5" Naval Rifles back in the '80's. Used it on my hand guns. Now I just use Hoppe's #9 (love that aroma) and Remington gun oil. I use the Hoppe's and then "rinse" all residue with Brakeclean. I then re-lube with oil on the revolvers and oil/gun grease on semi rails. Ran across some FrogLube recently. Gee, that stuff is really eggs-pensive.
Old November 21, 2015, 01:53 PM   #11
rickyrick

Clp used to be cheap. It's ok on range trips and such. It drys out on carry guns so I just use red grease on sliding parts sometimes add a bit of motor oil to thin it out.

You can actually mix up any thickness you'd like with a combo of light oil, grease and stp.

Caution that you don't want anything heavy in certain firing pin channels. It could slow it down enough to have a light strike,
Old November 21, 2015, 02:33 PM   #12
CodeSection

Been using Breakfree CLP for years and have been happy. Use Brian Enos' Slide Guide on rails. Both good stuff.

At one time after reading various testing results on various cleaning all-in-one products, considered Frog Lube. Then I read several threads on different sites cautioning on one's application as well as how it becomes in colder weather. Since I do not want to worry about my application skills with Frog Lube, I have decided to stay with what has worked all these years....Breakfree CLP.
Old November 22, 2015, 03:49 PM   #13
Mr. Hill

I used to use Hoppes No. 9 followed by a coat of gun oil. Then I Tried Breakfree CLP and never went back. The CLP cleans and protects just fine in one easy step. I Used it to lube a friend's brand new AR at the range two weeks ago, and the CLP worked great; we ran that gun pretty hot without any problems at all.
Old November 23, 2015, 09:17 AM   #14
cc-hangfire

For a semiauto handgun shooter, CLP is all I need. If I shot rifles or even revolvers & leading was a concern, I'd need other products.
Old November 23, 2015, 07:02 PM   #15
NvrGiveUp

I'll toss my opinion out there too, I suppose. I use CLP to clean and then blow the entire weapon completely dry with an air hose. THEN, I use a quality oil to lubricate the weapon. I'm carry an M&P Shield 9mm off duty, and I like the slide rails to be well-lubricated and other areas to just be touched up with lubrication. This is just what I prefer and what has worked for me. In no way am I telling anyone that my way is the "right way!"
Old November 23, 2015, 09:25 PM   #16
breakthrough

If this clp is all in 1 I don't understand how you lubricate the gun with it? I mean don't you wipe it down after cleaning the gun with it and then do you reapply it all over again? it is confusing.
will it work on all guns - stainless steal, carbon steel, polymer guns?
Old November 23, 2015, 10:21 PM   #17
NvrGiveUp

Yes, it will work on all metals. For reasons you described, I prefer a separate lubricant to entrust with my life. Semi-auto handguns that function flawlessly and oil/lubricant go hand-in-hand.
Old November 25, 2015, 05:26 PM   #18
rickyrick

It is really a lubricant that has a so-so cleaning ability. I think its a great lubricant. Has some additives that fight corrosion and such, hence CLP.
the stuff that was issued by the army would settle out. Probably teflon. Can