The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 30, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
t-sig

1909 argentine

i just recently inherited a 1909 argentine mauser.....anyone have any idea which model i have and where to find parts for it? took it out shooting today for first time and believe it needs either a firing pin and or spring
Old October 30, 2012, 10:07 PM   #2
davery25

Did it fail to fire?

I haven't seen parts for sale for that rifle even though the rifles themselves can be found often enough.

A good (read: real) gunsmith will be able to make the spare parts that you need for it.

Have you taken the bolt down and inspected the spring and firing pin?
Old October 30, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Scorch

Your rifle is a Mauser 1898 pattern rifle, adopted by Argentina in 1909 as their primary service rifle, replacing the 1991 pattern rifles and carbines. It was originally chambered for 7.65X53mm, also known as 7.65 Belgian and/or 7.65mm Argentine, but may have been rechambered or rebarreled since then. The 1909 Argentine rifle was produced by DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munition Fabrik in Berlin), and it is considered to be one of the finest examples of Mauser 98 pattern military rifles ever produced.

Your rifle is a standard military Mauser 98 rifle, and will accept all available Mauser 98 parts. Firing pins and springs are available from Numrich Arms. Before you go to the trouble of replacing the firing pin and spring, try giving the bolt a full disassemble/clean/oil, it may just be varnished up oil slowing down the firing pin fall.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:21 PM   #4
t-sig

davery it did fire 16 of 20 rounds.... 4 that didnt looked like a weak strike
Old October 30, 2012, 10:22 PM   #5
t-sig

scorche if i knew how to i would.....any special tools needed??
Old October 30, 2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Scorch

Sorry! It is as easy as pie. If you have to explain it to an infantryman, it has to be easy. No tools needed.

*First, cock the action (lift the bolt handle, then lower it).

*Next, put the safety on (the little lever at the back of the bolt, straight up is safe but the bolt is operable, to the right will lock the bolt). You want the safety straight up. Pull the bolt to the rear until it hits the bolt stop.

*Next, withdraw the bolt from the action by lifting the little lever on the left side of the receiver (bolt stop) as you pull the bolt back. You should now have the bolt out of the action.

Looking at the bolt, the large piece on the rear of the bolt is the bolt shroud, the long slender part that fits into the receiver is the bolt body. On the front of the bolt shroud, there is a little plunger.
* Push the plunger in and at the same time unscrew the bolt shroud from the bolt body (about 10 turns)

* Pull the bolt shroud away from the bolt body and withdraw the firing pin assembly from the bolt body.

Now clean away. When you are satisfied with the job, reassemble the bolt, then put it back into the receiver.

If you decide to replace the firing pin spring, all you need to do once you have the firing pin assembly removed is to compress the firing pin spring by pushing it down while supporting the firing pin in a vise (do not push it against the firing pin tip). The rear of the firing pin is covered by the cocking piece. Once you have the spring compressed just turn the cocking piece 90 degrees and slip it off to the rear, making sure you keep a firm grasp on the whole assembly (it is under tremendous spring pressure). The firing pin will now come out the front of the bolt shroud. Remove and replace the firing pin spring if needed. Reassemble in reverse order. Once you have done it the first time, you are an expert.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #7
davery25

Scorch's answer schools mine to the middle of next week.

I had no idea parts were interchangable.

To remove the bolt:

1. With the bolt in the rifle and closed, move the safety switch on the back of the bolt to the top position (so that it is vertical)

2. remove the bolt from the rifle in the usual manner with the lever on the left hand side

3. the back of the bolt should now be able to twist off. Some may be harder then others.

That's how you access the firing pin. To actually remove the firing, have a look at this video as the actions will depict it better then i can explain it via text

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqoCwS8IELs
Old October 30, 2012, 10:45 PM   #8
davery25

what ammunition were you using by the way?
Old October 30, 2012, 10:55 PM   #9
t-sig

argentine scorch that is first time i disassembled somethin with words as far as firearms go......my reciever did have a 30 cal marking
Old October 30, 2012, 11:22 PM   #10
t-sig

ok inside of bolt was pretty dirty......good news is i still have 20 rds to try her out
Old October 31, 2012, 12:56 AM   #11
t-sig

privi argentine
Old November 1, 2012, 03:16 PM   #12
t-sig

after all the cleaning it still only fired 75% of rounds....im thinking firing pin not spring
Old November 1, 2012, 04:42 PM   #13
davery25

Post up a few pics of both and also the primers of both the fired and misfired rounds.

Does there appear to be damage to the pin itself?

How old is the ammo? If the indents on the primer are consistent it could be the ammo itself

Does the spring appear short or anything or is there good compression?
Old November 1, 2012, 04:45 PM   #14
davery25

Something to back up my questions:

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...able-cau.shtml

I'm assuming you've cleaning the spring and pin with solvents.

Post up those pics, that will help
Old November 2, 2012, 01:41 PM   #15
t-sig

the ammo is new......and i dont know if i can get pics up. on the primers you can tell an obvious difference in the rounds that fired and ones that didnt. Also the rounds that did fire had swelling at the neck! I"m thinking this gun was rechambered at some point
Old November 2, 2012, 01:55 PM   #16
t-sig

gun does say .30 where the bolt goes in at
Old November 2, 2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Jimro

Ok, since it says 30 where the bolt goes in, try chambering a 30-06. If it goes in there's your problem. If it doesn't, try cleaning the bolt out and replacing the main spring.

Jimro
Old November 2, 2012, 02:29 PM   #18
sc928porsche

Some of the 1909 argentines were chambered in 30-06. Usually the 30 cal designates this but only one way to be sure. Take it to a smith and get a chamber cast. He can also check headspace at the same time. Chamber cast and headspace check shouldnt break your wallet.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:38 PM   #19
Scorch

Quote:
my reciever did have a 30 cal marking
Haven't checked this thread for a day or two . . .

Yes, as others have said, it may be chambered for 30-06. I would also suggest a chamber cast at this point.

Why is a South American rifle chambered for the US service cartridge, you may ask? In the 1950s, the US negotiated an end to the wars that had been going on in South America for almost a century. One of the parts of the treaty was that the US would provide the military supplies for the region (formerly, many were supplied by Germany, Austria, and Belgium until WW2). This is why many bolt action Mauser rifles coming out of South American countries are chambered in 30-06, most of the countries went on a massive changeover project (before that most were 7X57 and 8X57, the Argentines were the odd ones with the 7.65X53).