The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 22, 2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Dean C

Grabber removal

My son has a 9mm and 40cal. Both Stars. At just about the same time, both started to jam. The grabber on both just doesn't hold enough to extract the shell. I believe it is due to too much oil when cleaning. I want to remove the grabber so that we can thoroughly clean under the spring. My first question, is there anything else that could be causing the problem? My second question, is how do you get the darn things out? I cannot see a reasonable way to get the pivot pin out.
thanks in advance,
dean
Old July 22, 2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Dave Sample

Try cleaning the chamber really good. 9mm ammo is very dirty and some of it has paint that messes up the chambers.
Old July 22, 2005, 05:39 PM   #3
N.M. Edmands

Grabber removal [ extractor]

If you still have the problem after trying Daves advice, this may help:
If these are Star Firestars, the extractor pin punches out from the bottom of the slide up thru the top.IIRC Using 3 hands put pressure inwards on the extractor to keep from launching it and the spring. You can then clean the channel and spring seat. Look the extractor over carefully W/ a magnifieing glass for a broken or chipped tip. I had one break on my M40 Firestar and found that as the barrel seated in lockup the relief notch in the chamber contacted the extractor and put upward pressure on it. Had to take the notch down about .005". Ashamed I did'nt catch it till the damage was done.
HTH

"Some where something incredible is waiting to be known" -Carl Sagan
"It aint how good you shoot,it's how cool you look doing it." -Fred Sayre 1994