The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 26, 2013, 04:17 PM   #1
moisanfan11

i'm kinda mad

I can't find any new commercial 7.62x54R for my moisan nagant. Why is this
Old January 26, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Because somebody got there before you.
Denis
Old January 26, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Grizzdude

I'll cherish my 200 rounds brown bear 174gr FMJ 7.62x54R!

Please visit my website! Grizzdude's gun's website
Old January 26, 2013, 09:34 PM   #4
sirdiealot

ammo to go has both soft and fmj from s and b and pp in stock. have had a lot of time on pc looking up and going to different gun and ammo sites this week what with laying in bed trying to beat this damn flu....actually got out of bed for the first time today for any length of time...yeah me might actually get to go out and see what the sun looks like next week

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:36 PM   #5
sirdiealot

oh and yeah have had my type 53 setting at my ffl since friday of last week...finally cleared the nics check....also friday of last week picked up my 91/30 from allans armory and then saterday this damn flu kicked in and havent even got to shoot it or pick up my type 53.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:12 AM   #6
FairWarning

General rule for the next few years----if there is anything you need, better get it in large quantities now, including reloading supplies if you're into that. Many items will be backordered for months and they won't be cheaper when they resurface!
Old January 27, 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

One of the few that were not sold off of the shelf last time I went to Cabela's was 7.62x54R brass case ammo. People skip it over in favor of the cheaper steel cased ammo. There was also plenty of that on the shelves as well. The local Acadamey has plenty of steel case non corrosive on the shelf as well. I mostly shoot the surplus corrosive out of mine. It takes 5 extra minutes to clean it out.

I reload the brass cased stuff with very low recoil light bullet loads for my wife, so she can shoot hers without agrivating her neck, and back.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Colorado Redneck

Why is this?

Because of the gun community's paranoia. Have been trying to locate bullets for hand loading---damn near nothing available. Have to back order. This happened 4 years back. Same deal. Self inflicted situation.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:12 PM   #9
ndking1126

Quote:
This happened 4 years back. Same deal. Self inflicted situation.
Yep!! This too will pass, and like last time I'm sure there will be a flood of used AR15s in about a year to a year and half on the market. All these people that have gone 10, 20 years or more without one will remember why they had never bought one before the prices went sky high and wonder why they were willing to pay so much for something they didn't really want all that much.

Stocking up on ammo is never a bad thing.. I understand why people do that.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:06 PM   #10
RamItOne

Seriously? That's all I see at academy well that and 243 270 and 7mag

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 27, 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
sigshepardo

It's out there. I personally like Winchesters loads. However, given the current political climate, all ammo is getting scarce. Keep looking.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:25 PM   #12
jrhilde

The Academy and Gander Mountain had plenty 30-06, tons of it, plenty 7mm mag and plenty .300 Win mag, a fair amount of .270, but .22 long rifle or .308, all gone along with the .223 of course----and all of them telling me they'll have more in next week-----