The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
the blur

Shot deers go right

I took my son to a hunters ed course in NY.

The instructor said any time a deer is shot, they go back the way they came, and will run towards the right. ( that is if it is able to run)

***. Is this guy on crack ??

I can see them running back the way they came, as they feel that was safe. But always going to the right ??
What law of nature makes an animal turn right ?
Old October 27, 2010, 07:45 PM   #2
abelacres

I've never noticed a deer making a right turn because it was shot.

I've seen them turn around, keep going the same way, come straight towards and straight away from the gun that shot them.

New York? I always thought everything north of the Mason/Dixon line leaned more to the left... j/k
Old October 27, 2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Daryl

Must be a NY thing?

Here in Az, I've seen them go left, right, and straight ahead. A wounded deer is more likely to go downhill than up, no matter which direction it is.

I've yet to see a whitetail or mule deer go back the way it had come, but I've seen elk do it.

I really believe that the best thing is to follow the tracks and blood. They'll lead to the deer every time.

Daryl
Old October 27, 2010, 08:08 PM   #4
James H

Haha...the imagery just gets me. Always to the right? Seems like all the millions of deer shot in North America each fall always running to the right after they were hit would make the earth wobble off it's axis or something. Or at least change some major weather patterns. Yep...the guy's on crack...or something.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Big Bill

Maybe deer are right handed?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old October 27, 2010, 08:18 PM   #6
kraigwy

Yeah deer turn right,...............south of the equator they turn left.

Kind of like a toilet.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 27, 2010, 08:19 PM   #7
grubbylabs

I think Daryl has it about right I personally shot one that went left heck come to think if It I have shot two of them that went left just in the recent past. Down hill and if not hit overly hard look for them near water and their bed.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old October 27, 2010, 08:26 PM   #8
slammedsi

In all the deer i have shot i have never seen one run just right. I have noticed them always going to water.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The instructor said any time a deer is shot, they go back the way they came, and will run towards the right.
Uh, no and dude is a hunting instructor?

I've seen hit deer run left, right, straight, up hill, and down hill. I've never seen a deer run back the way it came but I wouldn't rule it out either.

The only fact is that you won't know what a hit deer will do until it happens. Once hit, if they aren't hit hard, they will bed down and they won't give up easily. They are tough, tough animals.

If you hit one, mark where it was hit, find a blood trail and track it down.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
James H

Haha

"i have never seen one run just right"

Ya...they kinda run all wonky and eventually fall over after they're shot.

Right handed, right hoofed...

I know there are some folks on here from Down Under and S. Africa. We need their input from the southern hemisphere.

Ah man...this is cracking me up. But i've been awake for almost 24 hr. too. Work.... I should get some sleep soon...
Old October 27, 2010, 08:41 PM   #11
the blur

This guy had some other good ones.

One of these old timers that's been hunting for 50 years. Knows everything, and you can't argue with him, even with the DEC regulations right in front of him.

I was like, ok, just sign my son's card so I could get outta here. 12 hour long course, with 85 newbie's, that were asking the dumbest questions I have ever heard.

"could I shoot a guy poaching on my land"
"what if I accidently shoot a guy on public land, am I responsible"
"if the deer is still alive, can I slash his throat"
"can I shoot across a road if no cars are coming"

After sitting through the class, I should really re-think hunting on public land. Complete MORON's.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:54 PM   #12
grubbylabs

I have a video of a guy shooting a African animal I think it was an impala but not sure, it was a smaller deer like animal. Any way he shot it and it jumped landed and then ran right into a tree, fell over got back up turned around and ran off about 20 yards and died. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

When I teach bow hunters Ed I tell them to pay attention to where they shot the deer and to watch where it runs, then they have an idea of what direction it might have gone.

(Capt Charlie)

Last edited by grubbylabs; October 27, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:58 PM   #13
James H

Old timers are alright. Even if they're a bit wonky themselves, they've usually got some sort of good advice. As long as you know when to just smile and nod like you're really listening. No offense to anyone...I'm thinking of my dad and grandpa, RIP. I just hope the safety aspects of hunting were legitimately covered in the class that you had.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:08 PM   #14
the blur

The class was also taught by the guys son. father and son team. The son gets up there, and starts telling people to wear COTTON sweat pants, and the $1.99 brown jersey gloves, also cotton. and then wear a few sweat shirts.

My son the Eagle Scout, was fuming. But he kept his cool. Every boy scout knows you do not wear cotton anything in cold weather. Leave all the cotton material home, and get some proper cold weather gear, made out of wool, or some other fancy winter material.

So that was another wrong & dangerous lesson. I can see all these newbies sweating, and then freezing their butts off.

I realize these are DEC volunteers, but they should be watched and certified by real instructors.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:11 PM   #15
James H

Just wondering...what does DEC stand for? Where do you live? Is this a class for hunter's safety certification?
Old October 27, 2010, 09:24 PM   #16
the blur

NY. DEPT envior. conservation
Old October 27, 2010, 09:26 PM   #17
HunterGuy

Quote:
Yeah deer turn right,...............south of the equator they turn left.

Kind of like a toilet.
I seriously spit my Fig Newton out when I read that.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:28 PM   #18
Hog Buster

A couple of years back my grandson took a hunter safety course. (Mandatory here in Louisiana) The first thing the instructor did was hold up a left-handed bolt action rifle and asked, “What’s wrong with this rifle?” No one answered. My grandson said, “I can’t tell if anything is wrong with that rifle, but it’s made for a left hander.” Without a word the instructor put the rifle down and went on to some thing else. I guess grandson stole his thunder.... Right out of the box.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Catfishman

I wonder if anyone has ever stood up and called this guy an idiot.

As someone stated, deer and many other animals head to water when they are shot. Maybe it's because they bleed out more slowly in water?
Old October 27, 2010, 09:39 PM   #20
longranger

I have shot 10 deer with a bow and arrow and about half of them went back the direction they had come from.There is some validity in that statement,the rest just fell over dead.My last one went left across the creek he had just crossed and died on the opposite shore.Shooting with a gun they go any direction.
I think if they are hit with an arrow there's less of a violent shock to the nervous system and they go back to the last direction they were safe.Just my observation.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:39 PM   #21
grubbylabs

Catfish man I hope you are just fishing but, it is because they start to become dehydrated as they loose blood.

(Capt Charlie)
Old October 28, 2010, 12:19 AM   #22
mete

NY was the first state to require hunter safety courses !!
The way they've been going , or downhill, or to cover.
Old October 28, 2010, 01:02 AM   #23
huntinaz

Quote:
***. Is this guy on crack ??
Could be meth. Meth is very popular these days. It's everyone's problem...

Yeah I call BS on that. I had a guy on a local forum say that in his hunter's ED course the instructor told him to bury or conceal a gut pile so tree-huggers wouldn't see it and get offended. Also he said leaving a gut pile was littering...unless you kick dirt or pine needles on it. The stuff they teach these days...
Old October 28, 2010, 03:08 AM   #24
phil mcwilliam

If you happen to lop the right front leg off with your first shot, they tend to veer to the right.
Old October 28, 2010, 04:11 AM   #25
FrankenMauser

Mortally wounded Deer that know the severity of the wound tend to go down hill (if available). Mortally wounded Deer that don't know the severity of the wound tend to seek higher ground.

Poor shots, or stupid Deer (yea, that's most of them)... anything can happen.

Based on my own experience, I can confidently say:
Any Doe Pronghorn Antelope shot while she is lying down, feeding, or chewing her cud will turn left.

I know it's far from the truth, but that's been my experience. Of all the speed goats I've shot, the only ones that didn't turn left were the ones that were dead before the bullet finished passing through their skulls.