The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2015, 12:27 PM   #26
F. Guffey

Like, don't like? My opinion, we should all be beyond 'like and not like. I was informed someone on the internet did not like me. and I replied: Like me? That person does not even like himself.

Respect, admire? I respect Unclenick, he has class. Larry Willis and I go back, I have no use for him.

F. Guffey
Old November 18, 2015, 04:38 PM   #27
Bucksnort1

Condor,

You wrote, "or does the collet die just size near the belt but not the neck and thereby the same die usable for several mag calibers?" This is a true statement. The die can be used for 300 Win mag, 7mm Win mag, 300 Weatherby and some other belted magnums.
Old November 18, 2015, 04:41 PM   #28
Bucksnort1

Guffey,

So I'm right. I was reading posts correctly that some people don't care for Willis. I guess that's your problem and not Larry's.
Old November 19, 2015, 10:47 AM   #29
F. Guffey

Quote:
I guess that's your problem and not Larry's.
You seem to be infatuated with Larry, Me? That is a big Cajun no!

Quote:
Like, don't like? My opinion, we should all be beyond 'like and not like.
By the time we or into shooting, reloading and building guns we should have outgrown childish behavior.

Quote:
So I'm right.
F. Guffey
Old November 19, 2015, 12:31 PM   #30
Bucksnort1

Guffey,

Good idea. I appreciate the advice.
Old November 19, 2015, 01:22 PM   #31
condor bravo

Pogybait (or anyone familiar with this situation),

I guess I'm still not clear as to what leads up to the bulging above the belt and the necessity for using the collet die to iron out the bulge. From some of the responses it seems that the standard die is responsible for causing the bulging, PERHAPS as a result of applying excessive pressure to set the shoulder back for proper chambering. Something similar to over crimping resulting in the bulge below the shoulder. Kindly fill in the blanks, in particular what is it with the sizing die that allows the bulging to happen? What am I missing? Is it, for example, primarily a mismatch between the sizing die and chamber dimensions that might even be prevented by a different die? The best I can picture it is that case elongation on sizing requires setting the shoulder back that results in the bulging (that I have never experienced).

Last edited by condor bravo; November 19, 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old November 20, 2015, 04:40 PM   #32
Bucksnort1

Condor,

I don't have the experience many of the contributors to this thread have, probably including you, so I apologize if I omit data or can't explain adequately but this is the way I understand bulging. A traditional re-sizing die has a radius machined into the mouth of the die and because of this, the die will not (another responder explained it this way too) size all the way to the belt; thereby, pushing material towards the belt.

For the lack of fear for being chastised for mentioning the collet die in a fourth thread by the inventor's name, I will mention it anyway. The Innovative (Larry Willis) die corrects this problem. And as I mentioned earlier, the die serves two purposes. You can test a case to see if it needs the collet die and you can correct the problem with the die.

I have about 400 each 300 Weatherby cases, which were not fired in my rifle. Most of them passed the collet die test. When testing a case for bulging, you drop the case into one end of the die. If the case drops all the way to the belt, it's good to go; however, if it stops before hitting the belt, that case needs de-bulging. Most of my cases drop to the belt, some drop to just above the belt while others stop about 1/2" above the belt or somewhere between. I cannot explain this. After de-bulging, the case will drop to the belt.

I have chambered some cases needing bulging in my rifle and found they will not fit. After de-bulging these cases, they fit without difficulty.

I also thought by de-bulging, the case would stretch so I measured all the de-bulged cases and found only seven of the 400 requiring trimming slightly. Earlier, I mentioned all passed the measure test but there were seven that did not.

Last edited by Bucksnort1; November 20, 2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old November 20, 2015, 04:49 PM   #33
Bucksnort1

Condor,

I don't have the experience many of the contributors to this thread have so I apologize if I omit data but this is the way I understand bulging. A traditional re-sizing die has a radius machined into the mouth of the die and because of this, the die will not (another responder explained it this way too) size all the way to the belt; thereby, pushing material towards the belt.

For the lack of fear for being chastised for mentioning the collet die in a fourth thread by the inventor's name, I will mention it anyway. The Innovative (Larry Willis) die corrects this problem. And as I mentioned earlier, the die serves two purposes. You can test a case to see if it needs the collet die and you can correct the problem with the die.

I have about 400 each 300 Weatherby cases, which were not fired in my rifle. Most of them passed the collet die test. When testing a case for bulging, you drop the case into one end of the die. If the case drops all the way to the belt, it's good to go; however, if it stops before hitting the belt, that case needs de-bulging. Most of my cases drop to the belt, some drop to just above the belt while others stop about 1/2" above the belt or somewhere between. I cannot explain this. After de-bulging, the case will drop to the belt.

I have chambered some cases needing bulging in my rifle and found they will not fit. After de-bulging these cases, they fit without difficulty.
Old November 20, 2015, 05:09 PM   #34
Metal god

I'm Henry the 8th I am I am , second verse same as the first . I'm Hen------------- oh never mind

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 20, 2015, 05:40 PM   #35
condor bravo

OK, thanks to Pogy and others, I'll settle for that explanation. Having never encountered the bulging from the numerous belted mags that I have, probably will not be a future problem. But just needed an understanding of the situation in case it does. The first clue I guess is that the loaded round will not chamber properly after having been sized with a standard die. Then look for the possible bulge above the belt.

Last edited by condor bravo; November 20, 2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old November 21, 2015, 10:02 AM   #36
Bucksnort1

Condor, were all of your cartridges fired from ONLY your rifle and are you neck sizing only?
Old November 21, 2015, 10:22 AM   #37
condor bravo

Yes, fired from my rifles only and full length resized. All rounds chamber like they had just come out of a new factory box.