The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 17, 2015, 09:22 AM   #1
BlackPowderBen

C&B Revolver Interchangable parts?

Can I put a pietta 1851 navy barrel on a armi san marcos 1851 frame and it would fit?
Thanks!
Old November 17, 2015, 10:07 AM   #2
swathdiver

Seriously doubt it.

ASM barrel assemblies pop up from time time on ebay and GB if that's what you need.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:19 AM   #3
foolzrushn

ben...suggestion....

more info required. You haven't given enough info to help decide. Tell which part that you have. What is it's date code? Carefully measure (very carefully) the distances between holes or pins and holes on the part you have. What are the pin / hole diameters?

I think it might work...but it's a crapshoot. You may need to have new locating pin holes drilled, or even move the two pins from where they are now on both barrel and frame side.
Of course cylinder / bore alignment is the primary concern, but it would be nice if the load plunger is centered too.

I would guess that you wish to rebarrel a pitted San Marcos but you didn't say which way you are going. If you knew someone with a new Pietta barrel, you could test fit. Or you could take your good frame to a seller with a new Pietta and ask them to let you test fit.

If it looked good, you would probably then have a chance for a new Pietta barrel on Eeek Bay to fit your frame, if you asked the seller about the barrel's date code. Remember a new .32 steel 1851 is $180 at Cabela's right now.

You could do all this while searching for a correct brand barrel as swathdiver said.
Good luck, post more info, report progress.

certified 'soap welder'
Old November 17, 2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Just tried....

A Euroarms (ASP) and an FIE (Pretty sure that is ASM) on a Pietta frame and it would work with a little smoothing.

BTW, I tried an old Pietta barrel on a very recent Pietta frame and it did not fit any better.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:31 AM   #5
foolzrushn

Doc

Give him the dates...codes... to compare with his. Might help?

I was guessing he was going for a new Pietta barrel on an ASM frame though.

I saw an ASP 1st (oval bolt holes) Dragoon that tempted me, but the barrel was rough and I let it slide. I didn't consider a new barrel. Maybe I should have.

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; November 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old November 17, 2015, 01:02 PM   #6
BlackPowderBen

I was just curious because I saw some parts for sale and I thought I could piece them together to make a gun
Old November 17, 2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
FIE (Pretty sure that is ASM)
Might be a PR

Old November 19, 2015, 09:53 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Dates of pistols

Here are some date codes

Euroarms - XX9 - 1973
FIE - AD - 1978
ASP - XXVI - 1970
Pietta - AE - 1979
Pietta - BI - 1997
Pietta - CC - 2011

The last two piettas were more or less interchangeable without any difficulty. These two pistols were both Groswold and Gunnison clones

The 1979 Pietta was more reluctant to interchange. About the same effort would be required to get the Euroarms, ASP, and FIE barrel to seat.

I did not measure the bore. I did not compare forcing cones. I did not try to put the wedge in a pistol when I was attempting to fit a replacement barrel.

As regards PR, is there any hard evidence to suggest that PR actually manufactured anything? The only concerns I am aware of that used the initials PR are Patron Palameta Roberto which did not manufacture C and B revolvers and Pierino Ruschetta for which there is very little information regarding the activities.
Old November 19, 2015, 01:59 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
As regards PR, is there any hard evidence to suggest that PR actually manufactured anything? The only concerns I am aware of that used the initials PR are Patron Palameta Roberto which did not manufacture C and B revolvers and Pierino Ruschetta for which there is very little information regarding the activities.
There's not a lot of info on them but I believe Pierino Ruschetta was the manufacturer but I have no way of proving it.