The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1
BntBrl

Wet Tumbling Solution for Steel Shot - To Store Wet

I have about 25 pounds of steel shot (not stainless) that I use for tumbling cases and other things as well. The problem is that it will rust if I dont dry it right away.

I understand that the rcbs sidewinder will keep it from rusting. I however dont want to pay 13 dollars shipping for an 8 oz bottle of cleaner.

Is there another solution to make that I can take the steel shot out of the tumbler and put in a jar topped off with soution so I cna use it a few times without having the dry it each time? I was thinking of some washing soda (not baking soda), some soap, and some kind of rust inhibitor or something to keep it from rusting while it sits in the water.
Old October 21, 2008, 05:38 PM   #2
orionengnr

Just thinking out loud here...how about light oil? Ed's Red? Hoppes? Or maybe a mix of the above? Anything petroleum-based would provide a long-term solution. However, you would have to clean the oil off the cases...
Old October 21, 2008, 06:23 PM   #3
BntBrl

wuld detergent like dawn even things out and do away with the oil? At least thats what I was thinking it would do.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Don H

I believe automotive anti-freeze has a rust inhibitor in it. I'd think 1/2 cup or so in the water would stop the steel shot from rusting.
Old October 23, 2008, 01:41 PM   #5
BntBrl

Yes it does. Polyethylene glycol is the main ingredient in antifreeze. I think the red stuff would probably be a good candidate. THough the one for all formula would probably be good enough for this.

I would need to rinse off the brass or whatever else I was tumbling anyway, so I dont see why it would present a problem with anything else.

tumbling dry with corncob after would clean up anything that rinsing would have left Id believe.