The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
kellyj00

ABC's of reloading manual - don't buy it!

I just got a check from cash4books. here's a link:
http://cash4books.net/index.php?ref=42194

a check for $11.67 for my ABC's of reloading manual. I found the book totally useless and read it cover to cover because it cost me $35!, it was full of historical information that wasn't worth two cents. I'm really happy that I got a little money back for my old book. I'm going to sell a bunch more old (non-firearm related) books now and hopefully buy myself the newest Lyman shotshell reloading manual.

Just thought I'd give the editorial.
Old September 20, 2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Randy_che

It's not totally useless, but there is a lot of info there that can be obtained from any reloading manual. I personally don't see it as a must have book, but I have one anyway.
Old September 20, 2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Lexter

I thumbed through a copy at the bookstore the other day. Glad I didn't waste the $$ on buying it sight-unseen.

I did get my Speer #13 manual in the mail ($20) and have enjoyed it so far. That was $$ better spent.

Lexter
Old September 20, 2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Sorry to hear it. I find it to be a very informative book. It isn't the Bible, but it's packed with a wealth of information for beginners and intermediate shooters alike. Hence, the name...

$35? Well, I gotta say that you got ripped off...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...288&t=11082005

So, for $15, it's IMHO a great book at a great price.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 20, 2007, 08:49 PM   #5
TWB

I certainly understand your dislike of the historical information. Historical information in a technical book, or a reloading article or in many other situations is the hallmark of a writer without enough information and knowlege to convey. It is the intro of the dilettante. This stuff is, in the vast majority of situations, filler, to make the article or book look like more than it really is. This weakness is exceptionally maddening in medical texts and journals. If we want or need historical information, we can buy history books. I quit Handloader Magazine over this ploy to make their articles and magazine thicker.

twb
Old September 20, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Jammer Six

Most amusing thread I've seen this year...
Old September 20, 2007, 11:19 PM   #7
Hunter0924

This is the first I have ever heard of folks who find the ABCs of Reloading worthless. I know a few folks who have been reloading a lot longer than I have that still keep a copy. I have been at it about 10 years now and keep a copy handy. There is good information in there. Also nothing wrong with knowing a little history hence reference manual.
Old September 21, 2007, 12:17 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've been reloading for a little over 30 years, over 100,000 rounds, and I still consult the ABC's of Reloading.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 21, 2007, 01:05 AM   #9
mstumpe

A few years ago when I wanted to start reloading I asked which book to start with and the overwhelming response was the ABC's. I ordered and received my copy and dug in with great anticipation. I'm sure there are several releases and maybe I got one of the early ones, but from a newbie's perspective it was seriously crappy. I considered putting it up for sale but then realized I would be passing on crappiness to some other new reloader and prompltly discarded it.

Posting this reply only to save others from wasting time and money.
Old September 21, 2007, 03:10 AM   #10
Jammer Six

I can learn from anybody.

I sincerely pity anyone who needs perfection in either a teacher or materials.
Old September 21, 2007, 06:49 AM   #11
mstumpe

"I can learn from anybody.

I sincerely pity anyone who needs perfection in either a teacher or materials."

Joey Five Cents!

To the aspiring reloader: You will learn something from ABC's but it's way far from perfect. It is just not the detailed step by step starting point you will need. What book is I don't know, but I agree that not buying the ABC's is money well saved.
Old September 21, 2007, 08:17 AM   #12
Travis Two

Lets clear up some confusion over the ABC'S of reloading. I have every copy that was done by Dean Grennell. They are still my referance books that I keep on my shelves and review from time to time. Deans work was the best you would ever find as was refered to as the "Dean of reloading" After his passing the publishers had other people write the ABC"S of reloading and the book was not worth getting. Its sad to see a great set of works having been so diminished by the current hacks. If you could get the earlier versions by Grennel then you would have a worthwhile addition to your library.

Last edited by Travis Two; September 21, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old September 21, 2007, 08:48 AM   #13
mstumpe

Travis, I did not know this and will check it out when the opportunity arises. Thanks for the good info.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:07 AM   #14
Neophyte1

ABC's

Travis Two: Sir; total agreement
My encouragement to any and all is the ABC's; Information abounds; wasn't intended to be a reloading manual.
Historically; 'Dean Grinnell' saw a need;
within this need to assist; New to Reloading; getting over the insecurities, learning the language, learning the workings of a Bullet, why/what/how come

personally I search for all the works and will continue. Enjoying reading, with historical thinkings and conceptual viewing;
Before only subliminally did 'advertisement' play a part. Do I have the newest addition? yes Will I get the next addition? probably

By the standards of most
Old September 21, 2007, 09:55 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I had Grennell's early copy before losing it in a move. I bought the most recent edition and I do admit it's not the same. However, it's still an informative book. On the same token, I also have other books that I refer to, also. Speer's, Lyman's, etc. The most bang for the buck for me was being mentored. I learned the quickest this way. However, since the subject is about the ABC's, I stand by my assertion. $15 for any positive informative book is money well spent....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 22, 2007, 11:10 AM   #16
Travis Two

There are 5 editions done by Grennell and each one had something new and different in them. They were all good. He also did some other books that were dedicated to 9mm and .45 handguns which was also a wealth of information as well as his column in Gun World which was also very informative.
Old September 22, 2007, 02:49 PM   #17
Slamfire

I don't know what edition mine is. It says copyright 1974 and I bought mine in 1980.

While I have read it a lot, mine is outdated.

I consider the Lyman 48th edition Reloading Manual all that someone needs for reloading.

Still, I love the pictures of the old equipment in my ABC's. The back has spilt and I have at least three sections loose.
Old September 24, 2007, 04:43 PM   #18
kellyj00

slamfire: though your copy may be older, it's probably the same stuff as was in mine.

I'm happy I got a little $$$ back from that cash4books place, they don't know what that book is really worth. I imagine they'll resell it for $10 or soemthing and get a profit. I figure each used copy that gets put back in circulation will keep someone from buying it new and lining the author's pockets for writing a history book and putting a reloader spin on it to gather more readers.

Funny how I've seen a few posts here from folks who say they use it as a reference book, but never what they reference. Maybe because there's no reference material in there, maybe you use it to prove a point every now and again with fact like "the blah blah was the biggest rimfire cartridge ever"

I'm sorry to lose my temper, but it was seriously stifling to my reloading activities as I spent a few hours reading it while I could have been making cartridges or something...anything else. I'd have been better of reading better homes and gardens.
Old September 24, 2007, 04:56 PM   #19
DavidJBlythe

As a beginner, I don't need to know the past of reloading, just how to do it and what not to do. If this book is a history book, then I will not buy it. Is there a more practical (step 1, step 2) book out there that I need to look into ?
Old September 24, 2007, 06:00 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

At $35 you were robbed. It runs $15 on Amazon. As mentioned, it's not a loading manual. It's a beginner's how-to book.
Old September 25, 2007, 08:18 AM   #21
Thirties

Fellas, have you ever gone into your public library? That is an excellent place to find and borrow books such as the ABCs of Loading, and it doesn't cost you a dime . . .
Old September 25, 2007, 09:11 AM   #22
Sevens

You know what's much better than going in to the public library? If you live in a fair sized city, all the libraries are networked, and you can search by title, author or keyword online, and the library will happily pull one copy for you even if the only library that shelves it is 20 miles away on the other side of town. In 2 or 3 days (or a week or two if someone else has it reserved) they will go through the bother of delivering it to your branch where you can pick it up.

For me, it's like having the resources of 20 libraries, and they even do all the work. And you can check it out for a month, and even renew it online, and only worry about taking it back to the branch close to you. Motorcycle manuals, reloading books, sports books, I'm all over my local library network. It's a terrific tool.
Old September 25, 2007, 01:26 PM   #23
Thirties

Yeah . . . public libraries, and wired on-line as well -- what a concept!
Old September 25, 2007, 02:25 PM   #24
Neophyte1

Sevens; Thirties; Gentlemen: well said.
I still enjoy the books.
"My" personal observation of 'myself:' The less I know the dumber I am
The more I learn the more I know I need to know.
Figured it out all by myself

By the standards of most

Last edited by Neophyte1; September 25, 2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: forgot to captioned
Old September 25, 2007, 03:01 PM   #25
Thirties

To muddy the water a little bit here, let me recommend another good loading book. The NRA Loading book from the 1980s -- not the current p.o.s. they sell.

It is long out of print, but available used at amazon most of the time.

Here is a photo of the cover. It is a great reference, and covers subjects not given much attention these days: