The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2005, 10:49 AM   #1
Sven Hoek

Vang Comp Oversized Safety - Mossberg 500

Do any of you happen to have the Vang Comp oversized safety installed on a Mossberg 500? If so, was it a drop in part or were there modifications that were necessary?

Thank you!
Old November 18, 2005, 11:39 AM   #2
CaCrusin

Drop-in ...after you disassemble your shotgun to get to the underside of the factory safety.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old November 18, 2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Sven Hoek

Oh really?? So it takes more than just removing the screw, replacing the safety button and installing the screw again??

Thank you!
Old November 20, 2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Makarov9x

You do not have to disassemble your shotty for that replacement. I replaced my plastic button with a metal button a few months back. I will tell you this....You have to be careful and patient. Do not unscrew the screw with the gun upright. The safety mechanism will fall inside. This is the tricky part. This is going to sound funny but this how I did it. Lay on you back on the floor. Get someone to hold the gun upside down over you so you can get to the screw that holds the button on. Slowly unscrew the screw until completely out. Do not move the gun after this...the mechanism will fall into the housing. ( this happened to me) If this happens it becomes a crap shoot to get the mechanism back into the slot the right way. Aftew removing the screw, slowly replace the old button with the new one. Try not to put to much pressure on the mechanism while installing the screw. If done correctly this only should take a few minutes. If done incorrectly it might not get done with out taking the reciever apart. I took me about an hour only because the mechanism fell into the housing. I had to repeatly shake the gun ,while upside down until the mechanism fell into the slot. Luck plays a huge factor in doing this.

Good Luck,
Mak