The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2015, 06:39 PM   #1
rebs

Lee classic turret powder dump ?

When reloading with this press and lee pro powder measure how do you adjust for the amount of powder you want ? Is it a case where you change the two plates to get close or is there a waytodialin the exact amount of powder you want ?
Like I have pet loads, am Igoing to be able to get the charge that I want or just get close ? I load 27.3 of cfe223, is this possible to load ?
Old November 22, 2015, 08:15 PM   #2
Xfire68

With the Disk Pro you have to experiment to see which combo of of the disk numbers get you to the charge you are looking for.

You may not be able to hit exactly the charge weight you want but you will get close and what I like about the Lee Pro disk is it always drops consistently with the powders I have used with it.
Old November 22, 2015, 08:24 PM   #3
hartcreek

Actually there was a post on this exact topic a while back. Someone who should be along soon should be able to post a link to a site that sells blank disks so that you can make the hole yourself.
Old November 22, 2015, 08:41 PM   #4
Vance

You can spend money and mess around with trying to make a custom disk to get the charge you want. Or you could get one of these: http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...powder-measure . I have one and have found it to be very consistant and you can adjust it for the charge you want. No disks or combination of disks trying to get "close". It does leak fine ball powders a little bit , but not as bad as the Lee Pro Auto Disk.
Old November 22, 2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Gadawg88

+1 for Lee Auto Drum. Mine is dead on consistent and does not leak at all even with ball powder.
Old November 23, 2015, 07:53 AM   #6
Mobuck

I use a manual powder measure on the turret. Using an "auto" measure (or ANY measure that sits in the "fill" position while the press is operating) will cause variances due to powder settling during operation. Not so much of a problem when loading small charges but noticeable if loading rifle cartridges.
Old November 23, 2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Mauser69

Quote:
I use a manual powder measure on the turret. Using an "auto" measure (or ANY measure that sits in the "fill" position while the press is operating) will cause variances due to powder settling during operation. Not so much of a problem when loading small charges but noticeable if loading rifle cartridges.
Actually, my experience is exactly OPPOSITE of this. I find that using any powder measure mounted directly on a press while in use causes more CONSISTENT powder throws. The constant vibrations and knocking from rhythmic use reduce variations. This is true with any powder I have used, including fine ball and course flake, and is true with both Lee auto measures and my 1970s era RCBS DuoMeasure. In fact, I believe it is the prime reason I have zero problems getting consistent powder throws with Unique and 700-X. It is also consistent with the instructions that Lee gives with their auto measures that tapping is needed to get consistent throws for small charges with course flake powders.

One caveat, however, is that the powder must be settled after first pouring in the hopper, because the throw weight WILL slightly increase over the first 10 - 20 throws, depending on type of powder being used. I solve this by simply tapping 20-30 times on the measure, then trowing 10 test loads before actually starting production when changing powders.

As for the OPs question about exact weights, I think it has already been answered, but I'll do it again:

If you use any measure that has a fixed cavity size, such as the Lee AutoDisk or Pro AutoDisk, you will not be able to get an exact specific weight unless you get lucky that one of the existing charge disk holes just happens to throw exactly what you want. The charges will be consistently accurate, but if you want exactly 27.3 grains of x powder, you may end up having to settle for something like 26.9 or 27.5. There is an easy mod that some people do to allow you to adjust the exact measure from a disk by simply adding a screw, but I have never found the need for that.

If you really want the ability to throw any exact charge weight from a Lee Auto measure, you have three options:
  1. Do the screw mod to a disk as needed.
  2. Buy their adjustable charge bar to replace the disks.
  3. Just buy the new Auto Drum measure (that is what I would do if I didn't already have several AutoDisk measures that I was happy with).
Old November 23, 2015, 01:49 PM   #8
rebs

what is the screw thing ?
I seen I can buy the linkage to use my rcbs powder measure on the Lee classic turret and it is slightly cheaper than buying the Lee powder measure drum.
Old November 23, 2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Mauser69

Frankly, if the prices weren't terribly different, I'd personally want the new AutoDrum measure instead of trying to rig up some mickey-mouse linkage that was never meant to exist. Not only do I think it would work better, but you actually get a whole new powder measure - can't hardly go wrong with that! It also would let you leave the new measure attached to the specific Lee expander die and still have your RCBS measure available for other uses without changing the setting for your pet load.

If you already have a Lee AutoDisk measure, you don't have much to loose by trying the screw mod with it first - won't cost you anything unless you accidentally destroy a disk somehow. You can find information on the screw mod to Lee Auto Disks in lots of various threads on just about any reloading site. I see it regularly, and I only frequent this site and THR. Sorry I don't have a link handy, but a simple search should find it easily.

Here is a basic description - just select any disk cavity that is slightly larger than the actual weight you desire, then drill a hole into it from the edge of the disk. Now just screw an appropriately sized machine screw into the hole and adjust the throw weight down by inserting the screw deeper as necessary. Since the disks are plastic, any screw should easily cut its own threads and stay firmly in place. The screw will work best if the end is rounded off and the threads ground down on the part that protrudes into the cavity to prevent stray powder grains from sticking in them and causing weight variations.

It may take some experimentation to come up with the best size screw to use and the best oversize cavity to start with that will make the adjustment easiest. I'd start with a fairly small screw and fine threads so that turning it in and out would make small adjustments, and then you still have the option of going to a bigger one if you want to. Depending on the size of the base cavity your are trying to modify, maybe an 8x32 or 10x32 screw?

I did the search - here are two links:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558466
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=741988

Last edited by Mauser69; November 23, 2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added links to info
Old November 23, 2015, 06:16 PM   #10
weblance

Quote:
what is the screw thing ?
You drill into the side of the disc and add a set screw. Adjusting the screw in and out changes the volume of the charge
Old November 23, 2015, 06:39 PM   #11
jdc606

I got the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar along with the Lee classic turret press. It was about $10. Have used CFE Pistol, WFS, Power Pistol, HS-6 with no leakage and amazing to me consistency with the powder drop. Used to check powder drop every 20th round, then 50th, now I check the last round while emptying the powder hopper to change powders or finish reloading for the day. Always spot on.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:55 PM   #12
skinnedknuckles

I also recommend the Adjustable Charge Bar with the Auto Disk Pro. I also have the Auto Drum and use it to load .223 because the ACB can't drop that large a charge. However, I don't plan to use the Auto Drum for pistol loads because the ACB is so easy to set for different loads. With the micrometer setting on the ACB, I can change back to a previous setting and the load will be spot on. The Auto Drum has no adjustment marking so you either have to have a drum for every load or dial it in each time. I highly recommend generously lubricating the ACB with powdered graphite before initial use.
Old November 23, 2015, 07:29 PM   #13
NvrGiveUp

Quote:
You can spend money and mess around with trying to make a custom disk to get the charge you want. Or you could get one of these: http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...powder-measure.
Thanks for posting this link. I'll be buying one because it looks like a really good option for loading rifle rounds, as well.
Old November 24, 2015, 06:15 AM   #14
stubbicatt

The Adjustable Charge Bar has performed yeoman's service for me for the pistol loads that are within its weight range. I used it with Varget some years ago for 223, and it wasn't all that great.

When I use the turret for rifle loads, I simply remove the cartridge, and charge it with a Harrell's powder measure, and reinsert it into the shell holder and finish up the operations on it that way. Maybe it takes a couple seconds, but not big deal I don't think.
Old November 24, 2015, 10:38 AM   #15
rebs

thanks for all the info

Last edited by rebs; November 24, 2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old November 24, 2015, 08:08 PM   #16
jolly roger

I have done a few discs with first drilling a small hole directly into the side of the appropriate disc hole then easily tapping for 10-32 set screw. Works very well. But of course a lot of folks don't have taps on hand. So adjustable charge bar best bet.