The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 18, 2006, 10:43 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

You determine his actions by using your brain and eyes together. I think I can see if someone is running away from me. I grant you that it is a hard skill to pick up just shooting at paper targets.

If one cannot determine if someone has his back to you and running out the door - well, not much can be done about that.

How about this - you maintain the sight picture on the center of the back and if you see the person turn - you shoot him.

I will opine again that if the bad guy is clearly leaving - let him go. You do what you want.
Old April 18, 2006, 11:51 AM   #27
Mikeyboy

I'll try to get back on topic...God I hate stupid ninja rambos

I guess it's a range and threat ID issue. Close range and you know your threat you engage. Further range or it is unclear exactly where the shooter is you should move or take cover. Most CCW owners in a close up robbery situtation are better of engaging hoping they got the element of surprise on their side. Moving first would throw up a red flag to the BG, and your draw would be more noticed. I would engage first and move second.
Old April 18, 2006, 12:58 PM   #28
SBrocker8

It seems like this one has plenty of differing opinions. Suffice it to say, there's never going to be a perfect answer to this one, in ANY scenario, really. It's a true compromise.

I guess I'd have to echo the statement above, that I'd try to retain the element of surprise close up and engage THEN move, or at least draw then move while engaging. But far away, I'd size it up, and if escape or hiding and waiting it out is a valid possibility, then that'd be the way I'd go.
Old April 18, 2006, 04:15 PM   #29
threegun

Glenn,

Quote:
You determine his actions by using your brain and eyes together. I think I can see if someone is running away from me. I grant you that it is a hard skill to pick up just shooting at paper targets.

If one cannot determine if someone has his back to you and running out the door - well, not much can be done about that.
My point Glenn was that at any point in the confrontation the bad guy can turn and fire. Your suggestion is to surrender the edge in the conflict against an adversary who at any moment can turn and fire, bringing the possibility of death to you. I have to respectfully disagree. One thing is a bad guy armed with a weapon other than a gun. The gun changes everything IMO. I cannot risk a retreating shot or any other snap shot which with Murphy's law would hit me in the only unprotected vital area on my body. Further I cannot risk not firing and allowing the bad guy to regain confidence and reengage.

BTW, I don't only shoot still paper targets. I shoot still and moving paper targets of varying shapes, sizes, etc.. Steel of all shapes and sizes including movers. Probably the best of all, balloons, filled with helium they move erratically. I try to do all I can to practice other than at a still paper target.
Closed Thread