The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1
sidaemon

SAO trigger for a Sig P226

Okay, so let me say that I'm sorry to have to resort to asking, because I'm sure it will be a lame question, but here goes. I currently have a Sig P226. I have recently obtained a Concealed Carry License, and as the 226 is VERY limited in the manual safety department. That makes me a bit nervous.

I fire my 226 a lot. As such I'm really comfortable with it. That means this is the pistol I would love to carry. I started looking into things and found that Sig makes a p226 that takes a SAO trigger, the X-five. So now I have two questions...

1) I assume that as the X-five runs on what is advertised as a p226 frame that the trigger from one will drop into my p226 with the standard amount of effort that a trigger job normally takes. Is this the case, or does anyone know that it certainly will not?

2) Does anyone know where I can obtain a SAO trigger? I've poured through every search engine I know, as well as all the retailers I usually do business with, but I cannot get anything other than the standard, nickle, and short triggers. I'm planning on calling Sig tomorrow, but I figure all the help I can get would be... well helpful.

Thanks to anyone, zac.
Old October 31, 2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Jim Watson

1. I strongly doubt the X-Five lockwork will go in a standard P226.

2. If anybody is converting a standard P226 to single action, I have not been able to find him, and I have been in touch with the best, Bruce Gray.

If you just MUST have a thumb safety, there is a SAO P220 .45 ACP in the marque.

But let's look at your irrational fears. Why are you a bit nervous? The standard P226 does not have a manual safety because it does not need one. It is meant to be carried decocked, with about a 12 lb DA trigger pull for the first shot. It is comparable to a double action revolver, which hardly anybody thinks needs a manual safety. Get used to it.
Old October 31, 2008, 08:14 AM   #3
gwnorth

I agree with Jim. For years all I had and shot were DA revolvers - no manual safety of any kind. So to me, a DA/SA autoloader with a decock lever just feels extremely comfortable and safe.

Especially with something like the SIG (or CZ and others too - my 9MM's are a SIG P226R and a CZ P-01). Your SIG, decocked, is ONLY going to fire if you pull that trigger all the way back. The hammer is not fully down in decocked position, it is on a half-cock sere (so is held out-of-contact with the firing pin) and there is a firing pin block in place that is only released when the trigger is fully depressed.

If you prefer a manual safety, that's one thing (just as I prefer a decock lever). But it is in no way unsafe or inferior to a manual safety. Your SIG is certainly as safe to carry as a Ruger SIx series or GP100 (DA with transfer bar) or S&W revolver (DA with hammer block).
Old October 31, 2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Smaug

I agree with the others.

As long as you're carrying it in a holster that covers the trigger loop, and you don't have your finger in there when holstering, you have nothing to worry about.

In fact, I'd worry more about having the presence of mind to take off the safety in time of need.

When you find that the P226 is too big or heavy to carry, consider the P239. Everything is the same exept the size & weight.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 31, 2008, 08:49 AM   #5
CortJestir

Yep. Agree with what's been said as well. Also consider the P226 was designed as a full-size duty weapon to be holstered safely in double action. I have both a P226 and the P239 that Smaug mentioned. Both are DA/SA. I carry the P239 decocked with one in the chamber and never think twice about it. The P226 is a bit too large for me to carry.
Old November 9, 2008, 01:09 AM   #6
sidaemon

I think there are some good points here. I didn't think about the trigger block, and the fact that the pistol is made to be carried as is, is also a good point.

Here's a little update for everyone...

I called Sig. After waiting on hold in their "not peak" hours, for 50 minutes I got someone that finally answered. I asked my question and the guy was very rude the entire time. His whole attitude was that I was hassling him. I was told that the trigger for any Sig firearm was not available... Seemed a little far fetched, considering that I've seen Sig manufactured triggers elsewhere. The guy then says that I should just go out and but an X-Five.

He was a little put off when I asked him the sense of buying a $1700 pistol that I couldn't get a replacement trigger for...

I love Sig's stuff. I've yet to see a pistol that performs better than my P226, but wow, I have to say. This is the last Sig product I ever buy. It hurts to say that, but if this is how someone is treated when they call...Wow.

Thanks zac.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Jim Watson

As Grandma said, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
And don't let one rude flunky turn you off a brand you like.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Creature

Quote:
and as the 226 is VERY limited in the manual safety department. That makes me a bit nervous.
A condition 1 Sig P226 is as safe as carrying a Glock or a revolver...or any other holstered sidearm. Your fear is unfounded and irrational.
Old November 9, 2008, 10:58 PM   #9
sidaemon

This is sad, I recently fired a Kimber Stainless II in the 9mm range.

I think that's the gun I'll buy. It runs about half the price of the SIG, and has all the features that I want.

Thanks for the help guys, zac.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:14 AM   #10
2cooltoolz

I don't get it. Sorry.
Revolvers don't have a safety.
DAO's (pseudo and otherwise) (Glocks, Kahrs, Seecamps, NAA...) don't have safeties.
P226 and P220 here. DA/SA. The first round DA is no big deal to me...and if it is to you...how much extra effort is a support hand thumb cock over a safety release. If you don't like it, lose it! Buy a 1911 clone. There are hundreds available.
At the range, slow fire, I thumb cock my SIGs, for perfect single action accuracy. At worst...the double action is similar to my S&W revolvers.
"Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you have your target in your sights"

and PLEASE don't sell the P226 to buy a Kimber.

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; November 10, 2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:28 AM   #11
2cooltoolz

My answer is:
You already have one of the best guns in the world..Relax:
Old November 10, 2008, 12:07 PM   #12
RickB

I much prefer a good single action trigger to any other kind, but, as noted, you couldn't carry a 226 converted to SA, as doing so in the absence of any mechanical safety device would be a bad idea (I wouldn't want to push a SA pistol into a tightly-contoured holster if there was no positive mechanical safety). Get a SA gun with manual safety, or come to trust the DA system of the SIG.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:28 PM   #13
jg0001

I happen to have a DA/SA P226 myself (9mm, Crimson Trace edition) ... I agree with the others that the worry seems a bit irrational. I can't verify the 12lb DA pull, but it certainly seems about right. If yours is like mine, there is no manual safety, but it DOES have a DECOCKING lever. i.e. you can load the gun, CHAMBER a round (which will cock the hammer), then press the decocking lever down to return the gun to DA mode for shot #1. Next time at the range, decock the gun after loading it and try a few DA style shots.

If you're really still nervous, then a think a combination of the following may make you feel better:
(1) carry decocked
(2) carry in a holster with a thumb safety
(3) carry decocked & with no round in the chamber (which is probably not recommended by many people, in terms of being prepared for a self defense situation, but the likelihood of you moving the slide enough to chamber a round 'accidentally' is remote)
Old November 10, 2008, 12:37 PM   #14
jg0001

FWIW, I also have a SA Kimber; since that is what you are considering as an alternate, allow me to comment further.

Assuming both weapons have a round in the chamber AND are cocked, then yes, I too would feel safer with the Kimber (and it's manual lock) than with the Sig. However, if we compared a cocked and locked Kimber with a non-cocked Sig, the non-cocked Sig will come across as safer to me every time. Don't you think you could more easily 'unlock' the Kimber on a holster pull and accidentally loose a round easier than accidentally grabbing the Sig and pulling hard enough on the trigger (again, assume de-cocked)?

Also, assuming you are going to carry with the chamber loaded on the Kimber AND assuming you were going to carry with it not-cocked, how comfortable are you de-cocking a loaded gun manually? Even with the backstrap safety, I wouldn't want to do that. [Conversely, I feel very safe de-cocking the Sig as it has a lever just for that purpose.]

If you were going to carry without a round chambered, then I see almost no difference at all, assuming you carried the Kimber unlocked. Now, if you locked the Kimber AND didn't have a round loaded, well, that's another story entirely, but I imagine others here would think you may have a tough time getting in defensive posture like that.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:34 PM   #15
BigJimP

Others have told you the X-Five trigger will probably not go into a standard Sig 226 - but that still doesn't give you a manual safety on the gun / just a different trigger. The slides on the X-Fives and the standard Sigs are different / the X-Fives are longer .....so none of this is going to work.

But having said that - if you like the Sig X-Five - then why not buy it. But to consider it a carry weapon is a bit of a stretch - I have the top of the line X-5, but its about 55 oz with a full mag in it - and that's an awful heavy carry weapon. The Tactical X-Five is a little lighter - but not that much.

But to the issue - carrying an X-Five ( they all have manual safeties ) is basically a cocked-and locked SAO - just like a 1911. If you think the Kimber 9mm ( single stack ) is a good weapon then go that route / or any 1911 chambered in a 9mm if you want ( Wilson Combat and others make them too ) - but the X-Five is a double stack weapon, and depending on the version available in 9mm or .40 S&W. Only the top of the line one with the wood stocks(grips) has the adjustable trigger in it.

Everybody should carry and shoot what they want - but I think you're mixing apples and oranges here. The X-5 is a very good gun / but its not nearly as good a trigger as a well tuned 1911, in my opinion - but personally, I like the X-5 for what it is / and a 1911 for what it is.
Old November 11, 2008, 12:05 AM   #16
sidaemon

I shoot the 226 in competition. And let me say up front. I'll die before I ever let it go. I also have a Colt Python. The p226 is the only weapon I have ever owned that compares.

Let me be clear. I'm comfortable with the 226. I just want to be as safe as possible.

For concealed carry, I think I will go with the single stack 9mm. I lose a few rounds, but the pistol is slimmer, and while I love the general feel of the 226 the feel of that single stack frame... Wow.

Thanks for the comments here, zac.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:57 PM   #17
BDD8

Can some one list SAO pistols chambered in 9mm that are not based on the 1911? I know the HK45 can be had as a SAO pistol. Glock 17 & 19...
Old January 29, 2013, 09:08 AM   #18
Skans

Quote:
is basically a cocked-and locked SAO - just like a 1911
Yes, but with 19 rounds in a magazine and still a very comfortable grip (for me).

Quote:
Can some one list SAO pistols chambered in 9mm that are not based on the 1911? I know the HK45 can be had as a SAO pistol. Glock 17 & 19...
Sig X-Five models; Level I; Competition; and Tactical.

Browning Hi-Power

EAA Witness Match 9mm.

STI LS9 (Hmm, could be considered a 1911 format, technically)
Old January 29, 2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Theohazard

In my opinion, a 226 with a standard trigger is going to be safer to carry than one with a SA trigger kept on safe. It's far easier to imagine a situation where the safety would be accidentally kept off and then the short SA trigger pulled inadvertently than a situation where you somehow accidentally overcame that long DA trigger pull.

I can understand the reasons why you'd want a SA trigger for your 226, but safety shouldn't be one of them.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:53 AM   #20
AndyWest

I agree with Theo on mos.. uh.... OH MY GOD! ZOMBIE!!!! DIE!!!
Old January 29, 2013, 11:13 AM   #21
Theohazard

^^^ Wow. I just noticed that. I don't understand why people resurrect old threads like this.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:13 PM   #22
BDD8

I just noticed the Sig X5 line and recalled the Browning Hi-Power after I posted. Thanks Skans.

Safety? I suppose there would be an added level of safety with a DA/SA w/ manual safety. But I figure the 1911 style safety should be enough.

In the end I think it comes down to personal preference. SAO or DA/SA. Did you learn using a DA/SA and own mostly DA/SA pistols/revolvers? Or SAO.

As a competitive shooter do you prefer SAO triggers? Plus, I think "tactically" not having a heavy first pull would serve some one better. Having a consistent first and second...

I was just curious to know what new SAO pistols were on the market that I didn't already know about.

Love the tried and true 1911 pistol design. Chambered in 45 acp or 9mm. Can't go wrong IMHO. What can you say about a design that's been round for over 100 years and still popular.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:56 PM   #23
mach1.3

In the past, I had the same concerns over DA/SA with no manual safety since I'm basically "old school". I'm kinda over that fear now. I do CC with several different handguns.

1. Sig P239 9mm DA/SA
2. Sig P220 Compact SAO .45acp
3. Kimber Pro CDPII
4. S&W MP9c without the thumb safety
5. Sig P229 .357 DA/SA
6. G23 .40

As you can see, only two of my CCW are SAO and they are .45acp. I feel completely safe carrying DA/SA now and maybe the G23 or the MP9c because of their more consistent trigger pull without a safety tend to be carried more. My problem is carrying a weapon enough that I am proficient with it and safe with it in my rote handling memory. I do like the P220C and my old standby Pro CDPII as pure SA handguns. Cocked and locked fear has abated on my part as well.

I really like the MP9c and it is available with a manual thumb safety.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:30 PM   #24
allaroundhunter

BDD8..... just start a new thread. Don't post in one from 4 years ago to ask a completely different question.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:51 PM   #25
Skans

Quote:
Safety? I suppose there would be an added level of safety with a DA/SA w/ manual safety. But I figure the 1911 style safety should be enough.

In the end I think it comes down to personal preference. SAO or DA/SA. Did you learn using a DA/SA and own mostly DA/SA pistols/revolvers? Or SAO.

As a competitive shooter do you prefer SAO triggers? Plus, I think "tactically" not having a heavy first pull would serve some one better. Having a consistent first and second...

I was just curious to know what new SAO pistols were on the market that I didn't already know about.

Love the tried and true 1911 pistol design. Chambered in 45 acp or 9mm. Can't go wrong IMHO. What can you say about a design that's been round for over 100 years and still popular.
They all have their place. I prefer SA/DA with a decocker for home defense, self defense, even in a small pocket 9mm, but that's impossible to find. In fact the only thing I know of that comes close is my Detonics Pocket 9mm, but I haven't even tested that one out yet, and it's too heavy for pocket carry.

Really a DAO is good enough for self-defense away from the homestead. However, I do prefer a full-sized 9mm DA/SA for home defense. Of course, .45acp and .40 would work well too - I just tend to like 9mm's I guess.

Actually, I would be ok with a SAO for home defense - I have a kid (she's well schooled on gun etiquette and safety), so I'd keep the safety on and the hammer down, but have a round in the chamber. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will tell me "DON'T DO THAT" - well, everyone has what works for them, and this is acceptable for me.