The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 2, 2005, 08:40 PM   #26
CyberSEAL

Quote:
I can't point a gun at someone for fun.
dean
LOL. They're paintball guns, not real guns. Never played with water guns when you were a kid eh? Paintball is a lot of fun, can be good training too depending on who you play with.
Old October 2, 2005, 09:57 PM   #27
MTMilitiaman

Yeah. I won't go as far to say that paintball guns are actually toys because you still have to respect them and understand what they are capable of, but I don't think comparing them to actually pointing "real" guns at each other is fair either. When we play, there is a strict set of rules applied to wearing approved masks at all times when there is shooting go on or even loaded markers. I love woods ball. And all my friends have roughly equivelent markers. Lots of Tippmans and a few Spyders. Even those with autos usually play nice by keeping it to semi auto or two round burst. We are out there just to have fun. Sometimes Ghost Recon gets a little old or hunting season seems so far away and you just have to get out there and see if you can outwit someone before they outwit you. It's good clean fun and as long as you're safe with it, it does less damage to you than a case of beer--not that I am opposed to that either. Just saying there are worse ways to spend money and worse hobbies to get your kids into.
Old October 3, 2005, 08:53 AM   #28
Paintballer

I have been playing tourney ball for about 10 years now. Currently shooting a warped Dark Cocker with E2 frame and more ups than an elevator.
www.teamrush.co.nr/ My current team
www.portlandpaintball.us Best indoor ballin' in Oregon

I will say that paintball is an awsome family activity. My wife has played with me a few times, my mom, brother, cousins, uncles...
Very fun, very safe when the rules are followed, and a great way to meet some great people.

...I shoot dead people....
Old October 3, 2005, 09:13 AM   #29
GLP Standard

I used to play a lot with a couple friends when I lived in Florida. I wasnt very good at it. I got hit a lot, and it hurts. I wish I could still play, but theres no one around here that plays. If anyone lives in Northern NC and wants to play, let me know.

BTW, whats Scenario Paintball? All we did was start in different parts of the woods, and come towards the middle (sneakily of course) and shoot out when we saw each other.
Old October 3, 2005, 10:45 AM   #30
us.armysniper

I play paint ball every once in a while but the most fun i have had was playing Airsoft.

I will Never Forget 16 Aug 2004, Sadr city Iraq
Old October 3, 2005, 05:40 PM   #31
rugerdude

Ah, I remember paintball. I got into skeet shooting and also bought some more rifles, so my interest kinda faded out a little.

I loved it, but I was sort of a coward at times (those paintball thingys hurt) and never really did a whole lot.

I also never liked how I don't have sights! That bugs the crap outta me! I know the markers (well, mine at least) isn't that accurate, but still, I love taking long shots.

I also think that the markers are a little bulky for the run and shoot play that most places do. I'd love to just have a couple of paint-pistols, with detachable magazines and small co2 tanks.

Yeah, I've also seen my share of the 14 year olds with the markers that cost more than all 7 of my REAL combined........and also have a whole lotta ammo!

but for all it's faults (in my opinion) I'm still gonna have to take my spyder victor out and see what i can do after all this time.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old October 3, 2005, 10:43 PM   #32
MRex21

Quote:
BTW, whats Scenario Paintball? All we did was start in different parts of the woods, and come towards the middle (sneakily of course) and shoot out when we saw each other.
Scenario paintball is usually an 8 to 24 hour event that follows a storyline. For example, our company, TAW Paintball Productions, recently finshed up a game that was based on the game Battletech/Mechwarrior. In the game, we had general roles (demolitions, pilot, spy, medic, engineer, etc.) and special roles (the two generals, their command staff, costumed role players). The object of the game wasn't just to run and gun. Players from both sides had to interact with the role players to gain props/money/tools that were used in the game. The creations by the players are outstanding. IN this particular game the owner and one of his friends constructed seven foot tall walking robots (mechs) that they walked around in. These mechs each had two electronic markers mounted on them, and pvc cannons that shot out Nerf mini footballs (mortars). It's a very visual game.

Another game we did was based on the Battle of Agincourt. Half of all the players showed up in full 'knightly' costume including chainmail and shields. Instead of swords, we used (you guessed it) paintball markers.

Many times, I'll enter the field without a marker. I'll get all dressed up in costume, and portray one of the special characters the players have to interact with. It's a kick!
Old February 28, 2006, 10:48 AM   #33
Crazi

I absolutely love paintball! At the height of my obsession, I played at least three times a week. I have a modded 98c with a bunch of associated goodies. I haven't played since it got cold because paintballs hurt enough as it is.

Of course, everyone looks at me funny cause one of my favorite goodies is a 110ci 4500psi tank mounted remotely in a pack that has 6 150 ball pods...
I am sometimes an aim and spray player but only when responding with like force! LOL
Old February 28, 2006, 12:08 PM   #34
SBrocker8

DAMN YOU PEOPLE!!! I used to drop damn near every dollar I made in middle and high school on ballin. I had a bunch of kids from my school that came into the woods and tore it up, EVERY weekend. Still have my broken Spyder Elite laying around. A buddy of mine dropped it on a rock, and it never shot without chopping balls again.

I know of a field in southern NH where I could go to play, but I'm really poor. I'd LOVE to get back into it. It's AWESOME for getting used to going on adrenaline. I also play airsoft, and it IS a little more realistic LOOKING, but there's no fear for me of being hit with a plastic bb. I took one square to the nose once, and I didn't even flinch. But I can still describe to you the terror of being hit square in the goggle the first time I went balling when I was ten! I can still describe the jitters and adrenaline rush I got hauling ass through the woods with balls busting all around me. I still remember the adrenaline rush of charging a fortified position and getting nailed square in the throat and not feeling it until five minutes later. And I still remember being floored once by a nuts hit.

If anyone knows of any good places in NH or southern California (LA area, I'll be spending my summer there) let me know. Any NH paintballers here???
Old February 28, 2006, 01:15 PM   #35
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I see this thread's been revived. For you newer TFL members, we usually lock paintball threads because they rarely tackle issues involving serious tactics, and usually end up on the subject of equipment, etc. Just not appropriate for a firearms forum.

Originally, this thread was left open because a lot of the posts revolved around tactics that can be applied to real scenarios involving firearms. We'd like to keep it that way.... please!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 28, 2006, 04:10 PM   #36
GMorel1916

I play speedball and am captain of a local tourny team (Team Xeroxed) and working on a Div. III team spot. Been playing for about 6 yrs. and don't plan on quitting anytime soon.

Greg
Old February 28, 2006, 09:32 PM   #37
tiburondriver47

I too use to play touney paintball. Me and my dad got started out playing at a local field in the woods/mini canyons/buildings type play. Played as mercenaries (sp?) for the Monster Game a few years. But as I was told would happen, the first time I played tournament paintball I never went back to playing in the woods again. Once you've felt the rush of playing on a hyperball or airball field it will change your perspective on the sport as it's a whole new ball game (pun intended).

I played probably 20 or so various tournaments in about a 4 year period. The team I played for and I have traveled to Penn for the IAO, skyball (toronto) 2 years in a row (placed 8th overall) Skirmish (also in Penn) Chicago Open, Atlantic City Open, numerous ones in Ohio and MI, and have been to Florida (where the World Cup is held but didnt get to play in the touney).

Unfortunately school got in the way and we lost some sponsors due to players quiting or trying out for new teams so I havent been playing much in the past 3 years. But me and my dad still have our 2 custon "super cockers" done by p+p paintball (owner is captain of professional team [detroit] fusion)
and our 2 eclipse angels (led stlye).

They were some of the best times of my life, and I met some really awesome people. If anyone ever gets the chance to play in a tournament or even go see one, I highly recomend doing it. It's a great time!
Old March 1, 2006, 08:28 PM   #38
Hemicuda

yep... i use a Benjamin-Sheridan P-68 AT (pump, .68 cal, Auto Trigger)... it has a custom 21" rifled barrel, converted to liquid nitrogen, added expansion chamber, homemade (fully functional) silencer, and a holosight...

can you say "paintball sniper rifle"? i knew you could...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-68 AT and Winchester Mod 60-A.JPG (143.4 KB, 31 views)

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old March 2, 2006, 12:59 AM   #39
O.F.Fascist

Kamicosmos
Quote:
I still have my Tippman Pro-Light out in the garage.
IMO Pro-Lites are the AKs of the painball world.

Back when I was in highschool, I bought one and played paintball quite often. I hadnt played paintball since about after I graduated in '99 and I just had my paintball gun in the garage all those years.

One weekend last november one of my friends wanted to play paintball, so the day before we went out to the field I got out my pro-light, it hadnt been cleaned or oiled in years. I figured I would have to take it apart, clean it, clean the rust, oil it, and replace some o-rings.

Just to see what would happend I screwed in the CO2 tank (wasnt sure if it had air either), cocked the gun, and pulled the trigger. It fired fine. I tried it a few more times with no problems. Also in my garage I found this old box of 500 brass eagle paintballs. I figured they would be either busted or drived up, I opened it up and yeah it was a little bit of both. I put all the paintballs that were not busted into the hopper and I fired them at one of the trees in my backyard. The Pro-Lite had no problem firing them although the paintballs were definately not aerodynamic.

I cleaned it up that night, and now its about as good as new. My neglect and the ravages of time and weather had no ill effects on my paintball gun.
Old March 2, 2006, 10:07 AM   #40
Vitamin G

What I learned from paintball (That I apply)

1) Maintence, Maintence, Maintence!
2) See above. It effects accuracy AND reliability.
3) Firepower alone will not win the day
4) Firepower and movement will.
5) Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect
6) Always Practice/Train with someone better than you, or equal as a last resort
7) If #6 is not available, do everything lefty.
8) No one cares why you came in 2nd. They're too busy congratulating 1st.
Old March 2, 2006, 12:42 PM   #41
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry guys; Vitamin G is the only one that took the hint. His tactics and training ( ) regimen apply to the real world as well. The rest is... well, it's just paintball. Nothing wrong with that, but this is a tactics and training forum involving self defense and firearms.

Closed as off topic.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread