The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
SMITH910

Lubing rifle cases....

Just started reloading for .223. There's got to be a better way to lube the cases! How do you guys do it? I have a Lee single stage loader. I have been putting a tiny bit on my finger and rubbing each case down completely (less the shoulder as mentioned). What a bore and a tedious task!
Old April 19, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Clayfish

Buy the spay on lube. Lay the cases out on a towel shoulder to shoulder, give em a squirt, roll them over and squirt them again, let them sit a minute, and your ready to size. I too lubing them by hand.
Old April 19, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

Spray-on is the easy way, but I use a junk cookie sheet to spread the cases on. I don't want to waste the lube on a towel. A squirt and a shake lubes the cases.

For heavier resizing, I put a dab of anhydrous lanolin on my hands, and rub a handful of cases between my palms. As long as my hands feel greasy, there's enough lanolin on them. Only takes a tiny amount of lanolin so I don't worry about the shoulders. There's not enough on them to cause dents.
Old April 19, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
SMITH910

Great ideas! Thanks! Why does the lube say not to lube the shoulders of the cases? If you spray or even roll in your hands, won't some get on the shoulders where they aren't supposed to get lubed? Is there any harm (I'm assuming to the die) if some gets on the shoulders?
Old April 19, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Ruger4570

The only problem with "excessive" lube on the shoulders is you will get dents in the brass there.
Old April 19, 2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Leftoverdj

Smith, a thin film on the shoulder hurts nothing. Get a lot on the shoulder and you get dents there. If you see dents, it's a good idea to clean out your die, but it's not a major problem. A minor dent or two will fireform out.
Old April 19, 2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Mule

I like to drop my cases into a small cardboard box, spray with Dillon spray lube, shake them up a bit and then start sizing.

The cardboard absorbs the overspray and can be discarded when necessary with no mess or cost.
Old April 19, 2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Ammo Junky

I have tried most of them. Unique works well, but as 910 said a major bore. The spray lube works ok but is a lot more expensive at least the way I had to spray it to get good results. The good ole lube pad rules. Jam the lubed brush in the mouth toss it on the pad, roll eight or so and throw them in a bucket, repeat. I can lube 100 cases in 5 to 10 min. The dry time for spray lubes more than made up for the roll time. I recomend you at least give the pad a try.
Old April 19, 2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Rivers

Buy some Hornady One Shot or Midway pump-bottle spray lube. Read the instructions! You don't need to shake the cases; the lube migrates around the brass automagically.
Old April 19, 2006, 08:33 PM   #10
ribbonstone

Lee lube...alchohol...plastic pump spray bottle. Stuff won't stay mixed for ever, but will stay mixed way long enough to lube cases. Just spray and let it dry, will leave a thin layer of lube...which is easily removed once they are all loaded (and you can lube the insides of the case necks if you desire).
Old April 19, 2006, 09:06 PM   #11
Smokey Joe

Lubing cases

I'm currently using RCBS Case Lube 2 with an RCBS Case Lube Kit. Basically it's a pad like a stamp pad that you put A LITTLE lube on, spread it w/yr finger, and roll the case across. There is also a brush that uses A LITTLE lube, that does the inside of the necks.

Works well for me, and have used it for years when FL resizing. The guys who use Imperial Sizing Die Wax are so loud in its praise that I intend to try that, instead of the RCBS method.

(I'm surprised that one of the Imperial Sizing Die Wax users hasn't already posted on this thread!)

--Smokey Joe
Old April 19, 2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Tim R

I'm with Smoky Joe and the RCBS case lube II. It wipes off with a damp rag. And yes the guys using the Imperial Sizing Wax do have but only good things to say about using it. I almost bought a tin not so long ago.
Old April 19, 2006, 10:30 PM   #13
Leftoverdj

Easy way to lube insde the necks is to mix a dry lube (Graphite, mica, moly-d, etc.) with a few ounces of birdshot in a small container. Just shove the necks of a few cases in and lift back out.

I've used Imperial. It's a nuisance to apply, no better than anhydrous lanolin, and expensive. It is, however, a lot better than most other lubes for severe case reforming.
Old April 20, 2006, 12:14 PM   #14
SMITH910

Thanks for the ideas, I will try them. How important is lubing the inside of the necks? I did 30 without doing that without a problem.
Old April 20, 2006, 12:36 PM   #15
Smokey Joe

Case neck inside lube....

is not essential; it just makes the resize ball go smoother; reduces wear & tear, etc. The resize ball is carbide on any FL resize die I've ever encountered--therefore almost immune to wear, however, simply as a general principle, avoiding unnecessary friction in mechanical things is a Good Idea.

The good Col. Townsend Whelen suggested the amount (his lube was anhydrous lanolin) to use: just a suspicion of lube inside the case mouth. I've long appreciated his way with words.

--Smokey Joe