The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
tobnpr

7.62 x 25 dies

RCBS.... about a buck and half and they ain't carbide...

Lee...about twenty-five bucks.

I like RCBS dies, have a bunch- so why the crazy azz price on this two-die set?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 16, 2013, 01:25 AM   #2
ballardw

Don't find many actual carbide dies for bottle-necked cases. And high volume sales = lower price. The 7.62x25 is not on the top 10 list for reloading.

The price is basically the same as the Group G Specialty two-die sets of which the RCBS site lists over 400 sets.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:00 AM   #3
red caddy

I also choked at the RCBS price, although I fully understand it, as stated above.

I went with the lee set, for the X25, it's the old equasion "Price, divided by quality, equals value". The Lee set ain't near as purty as the RCBS, but when properly set up and used, in conjunction with the Lee "factory crimp die" the results are very satisfactory.

I have over 100 different die sets in house. The overwhelming manufacturer of choice is RCBS. That said, all the dies give good results, or they get traded off and replaced with another manufacturer's effort. Precision tooling is expensive, you pay's your money and takes your choice...

Paul
Old October 18, 2013, 10:42 PM   #4
jag2

I have Redding dies, but they are listed as 30 mauser. Pretty sure they are interchangeable but better to double check. I don't remember what I paid but it was in line with any of the other dies I've bought.
Old October 19, 2013, 01:05 PM   #5
willr

Not too long ago there was an article in either Guns & Ammo or Shooting
Times about reloading shouldered Pistol ammo -- 30 Luger, 30 Mauser and 7.62 Tokarev. As I recall, great care is needed in all of these because of the thinness of the brass in shoulder and neck. I wish I could be more specific about the time of the article, but I do believe it is worthwhile looking it up.

willr
Old October 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
jag2

I agree with willr, I haven't read the article but I can say it is not the easiest round to reload. The neck is so short that it is hard to get tension on the bullet. I always double check them with just a tap of a finger on the tip of the bullet. Many a bullet falls into the case, more that I would like to admit. Makes you think twice about buying the milsurp. If I loaded it more often I would probably get better but its not something I shoot very often.