The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 9, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
kx592

Transporting fathers firearm

Hey guys, i'm looking for a answer to a question that I cant find. Today my father bought me a 12gauge Remington 870 for my 18th birthday. He obviously has his firearms permit (NJ) but I do not. I was wondering if it is legal for me to transport the gun to a friends house to shoot on private property or to a local shooting range? I cant find a answer to this so any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old August 9, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Casimer

I don't think that it is if your dad is not present - assuming you're in NJ as well. But I'm not an NJ resident. I travel into NJ for shooting matches.

I'd give the state police a call, or your local sheriff's office. From what I understand though, transport is treated as possession and so requires that the permit holder is in the vehicle. I'm not even that you can use it at a range w/o a permit holder present.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:21 PM   #3
kx592

I know that I cannot go to a range w.o a holder there but im looking to drive to my friends house to shoot with him. I guess ill have to call to get a definite answer.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Tom2

I have to say it..you are now 18 and can move to any state you want. Some place that does not require permits to own a shotgun! Which is probably most of the country.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Quote:
Do i have to have a firearms permit to transport it properly in trunk locked?
Yes

WildiircAlaska TM
Old August 10, 2009, 07:59 AM   #6
blume357

Actually, you'd be surprised... until a few years ago

this would have been technically illegal in S.C. regardless of the posters age... yes, it was illegal for a person to shoot on someone else's private land. Of course no body even knew it, it was the way some stupid law was written.

I'm not an expert on N.J. law, but I suspect you can't.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:06 PM   #7
showplace

jersey guy here; by law its illegal for anyone to posses and shoot at a friends house unless your hunting w/lisc....by law you can not recieve a gun as a gift
without the forms.. but you can take temporary transfere(8hrs) with the owner close by..just get the FID....unloaded firearm shall be in a locked trunk wrapped in a secure pakage ,ammo to be kept seperate...no special permit to transport) just dont get pulled over; then its considered illegal poss./trans...
Get the F I D.......