The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1
slammedsi

45 acp loads for bowling pins

Looking to load up some 45s for bowling pins. Question is, what bullet and weight should I use. Also what powder. I've got on hand power pistol, unique, 2400, bullseye. I have herd that a lot of guys are using round nose, and semiwad cutter rounds. Any help would be great guys.
Old January 3, 2011, 04:20 PM   #2
overkill0084

I use Missouri 230gr RN w/ 8.1gr of Accurate 5. It's a good load in my Springer 1911. Any accurate load that you can shoot well should do it. I'm sure 185 gr or 200gr SWC loads would work well too, I just haven't tried any yet. I've got plenty of the 230s to shoot for now. Hit them solid and they will go away. Of the powders you have, Unique or Bullseye are both decent choices. I'd lean toward Unique personally.
I shot some .38 spec. 130gr RNMC UMC factory ammo on revolver night and when I did my part, they cleared the table. I didn't have any appropriate .38 or .357 reloads handy that night. Overwhelming power isn't required.
I'm still new to the game & not terribly fast. But, it's a lot of fun anyway.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

Last edited by overkill0084; January 3, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old January 3, 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Edward429451

I shot quite a few bowling pins with a 225 gr LRN pushed by 6.5 gr Unique.
Old January 3, 2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Knocking down pins is a momentum game. The big mo is the way to go, so heavier is better in bullet choice. Lighter bullets will tend to give similar muzzle energy or a bit more for a given peak pressure and will use up more powder getting there because they burn it with less efficiency. But because energy goes up as the square of velocity, it increases faster than momentum does. Thus, a 230 grain bullet with the same 350 ft-lb ME as commercial hardball is going about 830 fps and has about 0.846 lb-s of momentum. If you increase the charge to 5.8 grains to drive a 185 grain bullet at the same peak pressure, you will get about 370 ft-lb and will be getting about 950 fps, but will still only have about 0.780 lb-s of momentum, or about 8% less than the 230. So stick with the 230's, or near that weight (220 to 240 grains).

The original load of 5.0 grains of Bullseye will mimic commercial 350 ft-lb hardball with a round nose bullet. I don't know if a truncated cone would grab the wood any better or not. Lead deforms easily on impact, so I doubt it, but you can experiment. The TC shape will be seated deeper and that will raise pressure, muzzle energy and momentum.

In general, because of reduced muzzle blast owing to earlier bullet acceleration, the fastest powder you can find to do the job without exceeding safe pressure will also produce the least total recoil. Thus Bullseye would be my choice, as the charge will be lighter and, because it operates at a little bit higher (but still safe) pressure, it will burn cleaner than either of the other two will in producing that same muzzle velocity.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 3, 2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Typo fixes and settling on units
Old January 3, 2011, 09:13 PM   #5
slammedsi

Thanks guys. This is all new to me. I was going to load up some 225 swc and try from there.
Old January 4, 2011, 12:21 AM   #6
reloader28

I like 4.5gr Bullseye in both 200gr LSWC and 230gr LRN.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've always used 230-gr. LRN with enough WW 231 to get them moving at about 900-950 fps.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:40 AM   #8
slammedsi

So what yall are saying is most 45 loadings will do the job. But the heavier 200 and up bullets do better in said shooting. So other then loading a round nose or swc there is not much to it other then shot placement. Correct me if my thinking is wrong as I have never shot pins and do not know how heavy they are.

Just left the local reloading shop, went ahead and got 400 different bullets. Left with 200gr swc, 200gr lrn, 230gr swc, and 230 lrn. I guess its time to set down and see what works best for me and my gun.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Real Gun

Bowling pin matches I know are held indoors, where lead bullets and tracers are prohibited. I use cheap commercial stuff in 230 gr FMJ, because most of the brass is lost. No time is allowed for picking up brass, and sweeping makes enough dust for some to complain. We kind of plow the brass off to the side, when it gets too much under foot. The range is also swept before the match.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:48 AM   #10
overkill0084

You made me look it up. Bowling pins start at a weight of between 3lbs 6 oz & 3 lbs 10 oz. They tend to gain weight as the night goes on.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

Last edited by overkill0084; January 4, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Real Gun makes a good point on range rules. You need to check what they are where you intend to shoot. Many ranges have enough ventilation that lead is not a problem, but others don't. Personally, I don't think the bullets matter nearly as much as the primers, and that unless you buy totally enclosed bullets without exposed bases and use non-toxic primers, the rules are kind of pretend safety. But that's another argument.

If you are shooting where they won't let you police brass, consider investing in one of the brass catchers that attaches to the gun or to your hand. It won't get every last one, but it will get most. Many ranges have an ammo business and want to keep and resell your brass. Ask what they want for it if you buy only as much as you just shot in the match. It won't be matching brass, but it's better to lose mixed range foundlings than your new bulk brass.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:40 AM   #12
reloader28

Theres places you cant get your brass back?
I'm glad I dont have to put up with that crap. Aint nobody getting my brass.
This reminds me tho. I got to get a hold of my friend that owns a bowling alley. I'm down to 3 cases of pins.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:54 AM   #13
slammedsi

The range that hosts the tournaments is an out door range with no rule on lead or picking rang brass up.
Old January 4, 2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Sid

I shoot bowling pins at an outdoor range and only cast lead bullets are allowed. Over the years I have knocked them over with .38 special, 9mm, and .45 ACP. Any of these calibers can easily knock the pins over. However, if you want to sweep them off the table the .45 does it much more consistently. For my National Match Colt .45 I use 200 grain SWC bullets.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:12 PM   #15
slammedsi

That's good to know sid, as I have just finished loading up 20, 200gr swc in front of a small charge of power pistol. Should be some were in the 870fps range. Going out tomorrow to test for feed and eject problems, accuricy, and the ability to knock pins over
Old January 5, 2011, 08:54 AM   #16
Real Gun

Quote:
I shoot bowling pins at an outdoor range and only cast lead bullets are allowed.
Why would anyone have such a restriction outdoors? That's like saying only reloaders allowed.
Old January 5, 2011, 08:50 PM   #17
Sid

The reason cited for cast bullets only at our outdoor bowling pin range is not because of lead contamination. It is because of the increased possibility of ricochets with FMJ bullets. Our range is located near a suburban housing development and the officers who run our club are extremely safety conscious. They feel that cast bullets reduce this risk. However, my own experience with shooting bowling pins for the past 10 years has been otherwise. No matter what caliber I am shooting, only a small percentage of the cast bullets penetrate into the wood of the bowling pin and stay there. The vast majority are ricochets and you can tell that by just looking at the hits on the pins. I have also found that the pins can take a substantial number of hits before they become so beat up that they have to be discarded. I am fortunate in that a local bowling alley keeps me supplied with pins without charging me anything.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:25 AM   #18
slammedsi

Well tryed out the loads yesterday. At only 850ish fps they are supper accurate out to about 40 yards. they seem to fall off from there. Recoil is mild, and with a solid hit on a pin at 25 yards they come flying off. Going to try some bullseye, and Unique loads tomorrow. Then step up to the 230gr bullets to see if there is any difference.