The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1
remington7

Decapping pin issue???

Hello all. I was reading a Chuck Hawks online article for reloading and came across this statement: "The end of the decapping pin must protrude at least 3/16" below the bottom of the die to remove the spent primer. When properly adjusted, the internal expander ball/decapping pin unit will just punch out the spent primer. Loosen the small lock nut at the top of the die and turn the expander/decapping unit in or out until the proper adjustment is achieved. Do not set the decapping pin so that it protrudes any more than necessary, as this reduces the case necks grip on the new bullet."

The last sentence is confusing. My question is, what does decapping pin protrusion have to do with case neck tension. This is a new one on me.

Rem
Old December 24, 2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Is the expanding ball tapered?

Is this instruction particular to a specific brand of dies, perhaps?

Lost Sheep
Old December 24, 2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Clark

There is always a trade off between doing things per procedures and winging it with common sense.

This then forms the two political parties in engineering.
Old December 24, 2010, 04:07 PM   #4
4runnerman

Im with ya there?.. I don't see how that would make any difference either.Case mouthing tappers back down to smaller size any how,so i don'tsee how it would matter
Old December 24, 2010, 04:37 PM   #5
PA-Joe

If the pin is exposed too much several things happen:

The pin will bottom out on the inside of the case and not allow the neck to be sized competely.
You can overwork the neck sizing and strech the neck on the upstroke.

I set my pin so that it is exposed about 1/16" below the openning on the shellholder. Don't need more than that.
Old December 25, 2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

Decapping pin protrusion...

Chuck Hawks quite often makes a lot of sense, but on this one I don't see where he's going.

My decapping pin has always been set just a smidge further out than the base of the case when the case is fully into the resizing die, just enough that the spent primer has no chance whatever of hanging on to the case, but no further. This has worked just fine for me since I set up my first resizing die for my first run of cases, lo those many years ago. You don't futz unnecessarily, with what works.

Have never had an issue with neck tension related to the length of protrusion of the firing pin out the base of the case, and cannot for the life of me see how the 2 could be related. (Unless the decapping pin is adjusted grossly too far down, which wouldn't let the case go all the way into the die, as mentioned above. But that isn't basically a neck tension problem, either. )

The one neck tension problem I've ever had was with a Lee Collet Neck Sizing die, using a new brand of bullet which turned out to be just a hair smaller in diameter than what I'd been using. Polished the mandrel in the Collet Die. Problem solved.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 27, 2010, 03:50 AM   #7
remington7

Is the expanding ball tapered?
Is this instruction particular to a specific brand of dies, perhaps?

Lost Sheep

RCBS dies he said. These and Redding are the majority of my die sets. This was a generalized article on how to properly set up a sizing die. RCBS makes no mention of this decapping pin / case neck tension issue in their die instructions. Just thought that was a strange comment for die set up. Guess you just have take everything with a grain of salt on the "All mighty" www.;)
Old December 27, 2010, 04:14 AM   #8
Nnobby45

Quote:
The pin will bottom out on the inside of the case and not allow the neck to be sized competely.
Bingo. Plus it will bend the assembly rod.

When you have the proper amount of sizing, it's time to set the lock ring. With a case up in the die, loosen the lock ring so the die will align itself straight with the case---then re-tighten and then tighten the set screw in the ring. Then, I'd loosen the seating stem so it will also align itself when the expander is in the neck---then re-tighten.

With the die so set, you can just unscrew it and screw it back in the next time you use it, and you'll still have the proper setting. As tight as you can get it on and off with your fingers is the correct method.

The decapper is properly adjusted when the primer barely falls out with the ram at the top of the stroke---plus 1/16th of a turn more.

Stretching the neck or pulling it out of alignment occurs when you don't properly lube the neck. A simple nylon brush is made for the purpose.

NOTE: Before you get too far along, remember that nothing is more important than properly sizing the case. Improper sizing will cause lots of problems. Good news--proper sizing is not hard to learn.

Last edited by Nnobby45; December 27, 2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:07 AM   #9
wncchester

Once an expander ball/decap pin is fully inside a bottleneck case, where it ends up is irelivant to the neck. Protruding 3/16" allows the pin to fully push spent primers out but should not allow the expander to hit the web. If it does make contact the decap rod will surely be bent and it's virtually impossible to properly straighten them.

I use a universal decap die (Lee seems best) prior to tumbling. After tumbling I can size clean cases and the pin removes any media clogging the flash holes.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:19 AM   #10
jaguarxk120

On straight walled pistol dies the decapping pin is placed in the expander assembly.

The first die is just a sizing die, it does not remove the primer

The second die is the expander/decapping die -- expands/bell the case and remove's the primer. This is where the adjustment is so important.

Third die seats the bullet

Fourth die crimps the bullet
Old December 27, 2010, 06:51 PM   #11
wncchester

"On straight walled pistol dies the decapping pin is placed in the expander assembly."

Not for Lyman and Redding straight wall dies.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:00 PM   #12
snuffy

Quote:
On straight walled pistol dies the decapping pin is placed in the expander assembly.

The first die is just a sizing die, it does not remove the primer
Quote:
Or for Lee, Hornady, or RCBS dies. Some old RCBS dies DID have the decapper as part of the expander die, but no longer.

I gave up trying to make sense of what Chuck Hawks says long ago. There's a lot of better roll models/teachers than him.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 29, 2010, 03:36 PM   #13
remington7

"On straight walled pistol dies the decapping pin is placed in the expander assembly."

RCBS pistol sets decap with the sizing die also. I've come to the conclusion that Chuck Hawks may have been confused on this one. Decapping pin protrusion functions for spent primer removal only. This neck tension issue was possibly thrown in there accidentally. Neck tension should only be effected by downsizing/upsizing or polishing the expander ball or using the specialty dies for this neck expansion/sizing purpose, and possibly improper case neck lubrication. RCBS, Lyman, Speer, Hodgdon, and the numerous other manuals I have make no mention of this phenomena in their sizing instructions and that is why a red flag popped on Chuck Hawks instructions. Thanks for all the input on this one fellas.

Rem
Old December 29, 2010, 03:54 PM   #14
demigod

I just ditched the expander ball completetly on my rifle die. I expand the case mouth on the down stroke with an RCBS case neck expanding die. A lot less case stretch and trimming by the way.
Old December 29, 2010, 05:56 PM   #15
wncchester

deleted....
Old January 4, 2011, 06:25 PM   #16
700cdl

It only neds to be enough to punch the spent primer out. I think if its more than that you'll risk breaking the depriming pin or expanding the flash hole.