The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 3, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1
mrappe

Anyone use pur bees wax

For front stuffers how many use pure bee's wax or tallow or some mixture of the two?
Old October 3, 2010, 06:16 PM   #2
mykeal

For what?
Old October 3, 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
mrappe

For putting over a ball in a c&b pistol
Old October 3, 2010, 06:28 PM   #4
mykeal

Ah, as a chamber seal. I've not used it for that (it's too hard to apply like grease), nor do I know anyone who does.
Old October 4, 2010, 06:42 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

I use beeswax, paraffin and Ballistol to make grease cookies for my cap and ball revolvers.

Beeswax can be found on evil bay in 5 and 10 lb sizes.
Old October 4, 2010, 07:00 AM   #6
mrappe

I was looking for some recipies of lube to go over the ball is that were you put your cookie or under the ball? One of the problems that I have is that for years I have been using Bore Butter over the ball and with the warm weather here ond the heat from firing it gets to be like a heavy oil. I would like something a little stiffer. How do you form your cookies?
Old October 4, 2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Pure b'wax is pretty hard, I wouldn't attempt for the c&b. A mixture with a high temp resistant oil does soften it. I mix b'wax with peanut oil for some of my patches on ml rifles. Also have heard of using Sperm whale oil for same but it is very rare stuff these days. However, unless you have beekeeping friends who give to you, beeswax is fairly expensive. I have heard of rolling out (when warm) and cutting into plugs or wads. Should work OK but is still expensive.
Very popular at the serious pistol competitions is water pump grease. Holds together and is just firm enough to stay in cylinders.
Last choice is Crisco. Just plain messy and wuthluss. Too soft and runny in hot weather and too hard to use in cold. Has no redeeming value except low price.
Old October 4, 2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Noz

Pearl Lube, an invention of Dick Dastardly is a mixture of One part container soy wax, One part toilet bowl ring and 1/2 part of vegetable shortening. Adjust softness by adding or subtracting vegetable shortening. It is used primarily as a bullet lube for black powder applications but also works well as an over ball lube on cap and ball pistols (I don't do that), a wad lube for cap and ball pistols (my method) and as an arbor/base pin lube on cap and ball pistols. (I do that)
Old October 4, 2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Poodleshooter

I keep bees, and I still don't use it much for muzzleloading.
Old crisco is too convenient and cheap.
I don't really even use it for muzzleloading lube. Alox is too convenient for minies,and I find that a more liquid lube works better as a patch lube.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:01 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

I received several PM's about the grease cookies. Here is the original recipe I got from "Smokingun" several years ago.

"What I did was start out with:
Parafin comes in a brick divided to to 4 like a stick a butter, I used a stick.
Then 1/4 of a Bowlwax Toilet Seal Ring(Beeswax)substitute or beeswax to use with the parafin.
Then 8-10 Tablespoons of Olive Oil/soy oil
The Olive oil is the Lube the Waxes just carry it and keep the pill as
you want it.(consistency/hard or soft...climate time of year)
And that made a lot, about 600 pills...about 1/8" thick for the most part.
Place the lube mixture in a small saucepan, place the small saucepan in a larger pan with water
Use a heated pizza pan to pour your mix into...
so mix cools evenly(flat) .Place in fridge when it's set stiff(optional)
And worked good for me...you need to try your best guess and add/subract as you like them
for your use.

Punch out to the caliber of your choice, with a tube. Place lube pill over powder with ball
on top. You'll shoot all day without binding. Keeps cylinder lubed fouling soft and barrel
relatively clean."

You can change the amounts to alter the hardness and melting point of the cookies. I like to use Balistol as the liquid/oil but any of the normal items well work. They make great arbor lube too.
Old October 5, 2010, 01:27 PM   #11
mrappe

Thanks for the recipie, I wonder exactly they used in olden days or at least what was common. I know that it was grease of some sort but I wonder how thick it was since a lot of things melt and get too runny when the weather is hot.
Old October 6, 2010, 08:00 AM   #12
arcticap

Vaseline or generic petroleum jelly is another chamber seal lube.
Old October 7, 2010, 07:55 AM   #13
kadima

I am presently using a batch of NIVEA (please don't laugh) hand cream...
A local shop left a box of those nice tin cans outside in a rainstorm and the rust made them unfit for sale. I got it for free...

K.
Old October 7, 2010, 01:36 PM   #14
zippy13

Yep, I've used beeswax.

We made what's described as the "Best Wad Lubricant" in Gatofeo's sticky So you want a cap and ball revolver. Already had paraffin with the canning supplies. We used to keep bees and still have a carton of wax starter sheets. The rub was getting the sheep tallow -- when I tried Dixie they were out. We had to wait until after the country fair's animal auction -- then the butcher saved us some lamb suet. We rendered the suet into tallow and then cooked up some lube. Gatofeo was correct, the stuff is very nice -- great for wads, but too stiff for an over-ball lube.
Old October 7, 2010, 02:24 PM   #15
mrappe

Are you refering to a wad under the ball of a revolver? Did you use felt for the wad?
Old October 7, 2010, 03:36 PM   #16
zippy13

Yep, I punch the wads from wool felt and immerse them in melted "Best Wad Lubricant"
Old October 7, 2010, 03:47 PM   #17
darkgael

wads

I, too, use lubricated felt wads between the powder and ball.
Pete
Old October 7, 2010, 09:45 PM   #18
Model-P

I thought the question was about using pure bee's wax.
Old October 7, 2010, 10:55 PM   #19
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model-P
I thought the question was about using pure bee's wax.
The OP asked about "pure bee's wax or tallow or some mixture of the two?"
In #4, mykeal opined that it's too stiff to use as a chamber seal. It seems we all concur and the thread evolved into using other mixtures. Obviously, some folks use concoctions including toilet donut material (substitute "un-pure" beeswax).
Old October 7, 2010, 11:02 PM   #20
Model-P

Quote:
The OP asked about "pure bee's wax or tallow or some mixture of the two?"
So true. Thanks for setting me straight.

I, also, used to keep bees. Had enough hives to pollinate a small almond orchard each Spring until someone rustled them. I was ready to take a break anyway, but did end up with a small supply of bee's wax from the venture. Great for bullet lube and to waterproof leather (mixed with Neatsfoot or mineral oil). One of these days I'll try making some lube pills, but it always seemed like a lot of valuable wax going downrange.
Old October 7, 2010, 11:42 PM   #21
zippy13

Quote:
One of these days I'll try making some lube pills, but it always seemed like a lot of valuable wax going downrange.
When we had bees, we'd sell our wax to a local (but nationally distributed) candle maker.
Would you rather see your wax go down range, doing something productive, or just go up in candle smoke?
Old October 8, 2010, 09:04 AM   #22
Noz

A cheaper substitute for bee's wax is container soy wax. Buy it from candle makers.
Old October 16, 2010, 12:38 PM   #23
prob

I've used a combination of Bees wax, paraffin, and mutton tallow (Gatofeo's recipe) with great results.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:52 AM   #24
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I wonder exactly they used in olden days or at least what was common.
This is from a 1864 Starr fire arms catalog on loading procedures.

"The ball must always be lubricated, to prevent the barrel from leading. The best method is to fill up the chambers (after the ball is rammed home) with paraffin, spermacetti, or tallow, so as to completely cover the balls. This performs effectually the lubrication and protects the charge from dampness."
Old October 17, 2010, 02:48 PM   #25
zippy13

Spermacetti!!!
Yikes, if you think lamb tallow is getting hard to find, just try to get Sperm Whale oil these days.

With respect to pure lanolin: I tried my local pharmacy and all they had was an expensive nipple ointment for nursing mothers. Subsequently, I eBayed a 14-oz container of DAX hair product that said in large letters "100% Pure LANOLIN" on the label. When I got the emulsified goo, there was a small print qualifying prefix that read "Compounded with" that hadn't been apparent in the eBay pic, nor the DAX web site.