The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 29, 2010, 07:02 PM   #26
Gryff

There are all kinds everywhere. But I find that most shooters tend to be very polite and welcoming to new shooters. You will find that there are die-hard competitors that aren't into socializing or mentoring during matches. You need to give them space and let them focus on wearing their game face. But there will also be a lot who are there just to have fun and are happy to help new competitors to also have a good time.
Old March 30, 2010, 09:23 AM   #27
Bongo Boy

Gryff's comment above about the competitive mindset made me think of how these games differ for various folks. For some, they are there with several fellow club members whom they know outside the match environment. There's time to socialize and time to help ensure the match itself runs well.

For many of us I think, myself for sure, the local matches are my only time to practice match shooting. It's practice far more than it's a 'match'. So, I have to review in my head what I'm there for, and that's my practice agenda. It's only a few rounds compared to practice at the indoor range, so I want to get some specific things done.

I seldom actually do get those things done, but I like to think I'm some kind or organized fellow who has a plan. It's all crap, of course.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:49 AM   #28
Laminar Lou

Had my first IDPA experience two weeks ago

I was one of the new guys, and I have to say everyone was quite helpful and respectful. I had never drawn from a holster before and was given a run through before I started. Every Range Officer was very helpful and gave me pointers when I struggled on a strong hand distant shot with my 4" revolver. Safety was priority #1 but it was a fun atmosphere with very little competitive atmosphere. Most people seem to be competing against themselves and really do not pay attention to what you are doing (unless you are very good, then people will watch!).

It might be a little intimidating at first, but I will definitely be back. I am already hooked! Going back in a few weeks and looking at purchasing a 45 just to do IDPA. It's worth checking out to see what it is all about.

My experience was at the range in Piru, CA. Your mileage may vary.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:47 PM   #29
9mm1033

I started competition shooting because I heard many stories of how friendly each game sport is to new shooters. I tried USPSA first and found it to be a warm friendly match venue. However, I did notice immediately that many shooters gathered in a pool or stayed together on a specific squad. They were normally fast/accurate shooters and didn't appear to be approachable for novice questions. They wore the competition shirts, patches and had the fancy expensive gear.

The following year I tried IDPA. It seemed more like a bunch of white collar guys coming out on a day off to have a fun day shooting guns. Competitive yes, but no SO competitive, if that makes sense. As a result, I've chosen to stick to IDPA in my area. But lets be real, ones competitive juices flow from ones personality and the group they are with. Maybe the location of the range could be a make or break decision for a shooter as well. I will say I never saw any negative comments about other shooters in either sport.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:30 AM   #30
dukeofurl

Dre, I've had mostly positive experiences with IDPA. My only negative is that it takes so much time out of my weekends.

If you are in Orlando, as Jim posted CFRPC puts on a good show at Weewahootee. The uniqueness of your location actually is a benefit if you start getting into it.

Both the Titusville and Port Malabar gun clubs do IDPA, relax they're not all on the same weekend so you can actually shoot three IDPA matches a month with an hour or so of driving.

All are good clubs, all the MD's put on a great show.