The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 20, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1
MO. Shootin

How accurate for IDPA?

Guys I would like to get into IDPA. I don't know how accurate a factory semi auto pistol should be to be competitive.

I have a Smith&Wesson 439 9mm now but I need to shoot some more pistols to see if I can shoot something better.

The gun feels good in my hand and I shoot it good to 10 yards but I probably only shoot a 8-10" group at 20 yards. Would I be at a disadvantage with the 8 shot mags?

I guess I just wondered what kind of groups you guys get with your pistols.

I have been thinking about getting a springfield xd but was curious what pistols you guys are competing with.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
MO. Shootin

I should have said that is 8 shots in 10" at 20 yards
Old May 20, 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The Zero ring of the IDPA target is 8" in diameter, the long stage of the Classifier is 20 yards. But you don't have to hit it every time to have a good time. The best gun to start out with is the one you own now. Yes, it will place you at a slight disadvantage with a magazine capacity less than 10, but so what? There is a lot to learn before that will be a major factor in your competitiveness.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:52 PM   #4
MO. Shootin

Jim thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
Old May 21, 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
fineredmist

Shoot it in a match and see how it works for you and then make a decision. You may be at a disadvantage with 8 rounds when compared to a semi but you are 2 up on the revolver shooters. Remember IDPA is a shooting game and you can spend a great deal of money for the latest and greatest or shoot and enjoy what you have.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6
RickB

The IDPA classifier has fully one-third of the shots fired at 15 or 20 yards, yet you can shoot an entire season of IDPA and never see a shot at those distances, other than when shooting the classifier. If you can put all of your shots within 5" of your aiming point at 20 yards, on demand and on the clock, you are a better shot than most people.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:26 PM   #7
DT Guy

As long as you maintain reliability, more accuracy is always better. But that's not mechanical ('intrinsic') accuracy alone; guns that YOU shoot more accurately, because of things like fit, sights and trigger, are always going to let you score higher than a gun you are less accurate with.

And though most shots in IDPA are at less than 20 yards, at least some of those will be on the head portion of the target, which is something (not sure, I'll admit) like 5"x5".

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old May 21, 2010, 02:08 PM   #8
RickB

It's 6x6, and by the rules, targets requiring head shots can't be more than seven yards away.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Shoot a few matches with the 439 and see how you do. Don't worry about winning but getting a feel for the game and the rules.

Then, if it grabs you, you might consider a new gun. XDs, Glocks, M and Ps are the most common for the 9mms. You do see 1911s for the single stack guys and gals.

Just have fun and compete against yourself for a bit. Some folks at the match might let you shoot a few rounds from their guns to get the feel.
Old May 21, 2010, 03:31 PM   #10
DT Guy

Seemed smaller, and farther away....oh, wait, EVERYTHING is like that at my age.

Didn't know that rule; my local club doesn't seem to either.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old May 21, 2010, 07:32 PM   #11
MO. Shootin

Thank you all for posting replies.

I found a shoot very close to me and am going to have to go give it a shot.
I need to look at the rules a little more and pick up an extra mag and some other stuff.

I hope these people are as helpfull and friendly as you all are.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:55 PM   #12
darkgael

'nother question

I know nothing about IDPA shooting ( will look up the rules). That "classifier" - how many shots and what is the time frame?
Curious.
Pete
Old May 21, 2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Jim Watson

The IDPA Classifier (NOT "qualifier") is 90 shots in three stages from 5 to 20 yards. Some shot on the move, some shot from cover, some shot weak handed, some shot after a reload. The time frame is however long it takes you; your score is your time from the start signal to the last shot of each individual string within a stage, plus time for off-center hits and Procedural Errors.

Look in the IDPA rules for details:
http://www.idpa.com/classify.asp
Old May 22, 2010, 02:48 AM   #14
darkgael

Thanks

Jim: Thanks. I did look up and read through the rule book. Question is answered.

Pete
Old May 23, 2010, 09:36 PM   #15
Jay1958

Yes, the head of an IDPA target is 6x6, but I just re-checked the rule book and it states that head shots should be no more than TEN yards distance, not seven.

Although I am pretty sure I have been in both local and sanctioned (major) matches where head shots beyound ten yards were required...

Quote:
It's 6x6, and by the rules, targets requiring head shots can't be more than seven yards away.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:54 PM   #16
oldkim

Its not how accurate your gun is but how fast and accurate is the shooter

So, a BIG factor most people don't realize for IDPA and/or USPSA (aka IPSC) it's not simply how accurate you are but a mix of how fast and accurate you are.

The "score" is a factor of time and accuracy. Meaning you can shoot really fast but if you can't hit anything - thats a bad thing. Almost the same goes for hitting all the "X's" or "10's" but if it takes you 30 seconds for each shot - then that's a bad thing too.

So do know most production firearms will be good enough to shoot IDPA.

Go out and try it and you'll then know what you need to work on to get better. Have fun and take it slow.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old May 24, 2010, 12:21 AM   #17
RickB

Quote:
Yes, the head of an IDPA target is 6x6, but I just re-checked the rule book and it states that head shots should be no more than TEN yards distance, not seven.

Although I am pretty sure I have been in both local and sanctioned (major) matches where head shots beyound ten yards were required...
I checked the rule book too, but couldn't find it right away, so went from memory.
There should never be anything contrary to the rules at any match, especially a sanctioned match.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:40 AM   #18
gregjc9

As others have said, use what you've got first, until you find out just how deep you want to wade in. You will need 3 mags, mag carrier, and good holster. You'll may need a vest/cover as well. I use an XDm 9mm in my local matches, and it seems to do nicely.

The important thing is to be safe, and have fun! The speed and accuracy will come in time.

Greg
Old May 24, 2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

You don't have to buy an expensive vest at first. You can get a cheap but big floppy shirt at WalMart. Works fine.

Later, you can buy a vest that you will never wear in real life (snark - look in my closet).

Actually, I found my IDPA vest at Academy Sports - they had a seconds sale and I found a perfectly fine one for $20 (from $50) that had a little tear in it. Not a problem for the range.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:32 AM   #20
Brit

To get the best of both worlds, use the same way you wear your pistol going out for breakfast, that you do in IDPA competition.

Then you soon find out how your mode of carry is, reference deploying your S&W in a booth in the local Pancake House! And some stages start sitting down also.

Shoot IDPA with what you have, I think 5 magazines is about right, thats what I shoot matches with any how.

You like it, then pick up a Glock 19 (sorry personal bias showing!)