The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 3, 2001, 11:29 AM   #1
neal bloom

SP101 Disassembly

Picked up a used SP101 357 awhile back and wanted to disassemble it for a cleaning after putting a couple hundred rounds through it. I followed the disassembly instructions in the manual and removed the mainspring assemble and hammer.

I cannot remove the trigger guard assembly. I used a punch through the hole in the frame to depress the trigger guard lock plunger but nothing moves. I can depress the plunger but the assembly won't budge.

Am I missing something?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old December 3, 2001, 10:26 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Concidering that it's used, God knows what's been done to it.
Either send it back to Ruger or:
Using three hands, press hard on the lock with a punch, slip a large dowel sideways through the trigger guard, and tap the side of the dowel with a light hammer. This may allow it to be moved down.
Old December 3, 2001, 11:37 PM   #3
neal bloom

Turned the gun upside down and used a small dowel to push up on the trigger assembly through the frame as I was depressing the plunger. Almost needed three hands. Looked like a small amount of rust was binding it. Luckily no damage to the gun or myself. After cleaning it, I reassembled it and it works fine.

Now I can put in some Wolf spring now that I know how.
Old December 5, 2001, 11:30 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

You may want to pick up a philips screwdriver at the flea market (pay no more than $1) and after you round it off (grind or file), bend the end slightly on a vise. It may help you with disassembly.
Old December 6, 2001, 12:32 AM   #5
700PSS Shooter

The SP101 has a trigger that MUST come all the way forward or it will appear to lock. With thte Wolff springs, if you replace the rebound (trigger return) spring, you may short stroke it and have the locking. I replaced the mainspring on mine, but kept the heavier rebound spring. Big improvement, but no locking.