The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2009, 12:21 AM   #1
ramp_tech

Mossberg Maverick 88

Just got me a Mossy Maverick88 and I am looking for a collapsible stock, pistol grip, and some kind of red-dot scope sight or night sight. I am also interested in a shorter barrel, my buddy offered to cut it for me; be honest with you, I don't trust him.

Any suggestion on where to get them? and what brand?
What do you put on yours? I am not very grease-orientated, so I guess they have to be easy to install.

Old April 20, 2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Regolith

I would say leave it alone, actually. Run it how it is for several hundred rounds, then see what you think you might need to change.

A pistol grip on a shotgun doesn't really increase the ergonomics of it at all, particularly for that model. It makes reaching the slide release harder, and if you don't have a shoulder stock on it as well, it can be very slow to use and hard to aim properly. It also makes getting low to the ground tougher.

A night sight might not be a bad idea, though. A "True Glow" replacement bead can be had for fairly cheap at most gun stores and will help with low-light amplification; something that works in no-light will cost a bit more. Red-dot sights and/or tritium sights can be pretty costly for good ones, and I don't really know enough about them to make a suggestion. You'd also probably need a gunsmith to install them, as the receiver would need to be drilled and tapped to mount the sights.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
ramp_tech

Quote:
and if you don't have a shoulder stock on it as well, it can be very slow to use and hard to aim properly.
I wasn't planning on removing the shoulder stock.

Quote:
A night sight might not be a bad idea, though. A "True Glow" replacement bead can be had for fairly cheap at most gun stores and will help with low-light amplification; something that works in no-light will cost a bit more. Red-dot sights and/or tritium sights can be pretty costly for good ones, and I don't really know enough about them to make a suggestion. You'd also probably need a gunsmith to install them, as the receiver would need to be drilled and tapped to mount the sights.
I figure it going to be expensive, that's why I wanted to buy online and have the smith install it later.

Thanks man.

Still in the hunt for suggestions.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:03 PM   #4
wnycollector

I have the exact same shotgun that you have in your post. It is a great shotgun for the $$$! Keep the stock on it and buy a shorter barrel.
There are 2 good choices here http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/barrels.htm
the 20" rifle sighted barrel if you have the 8 shot model or the 18" plain barrel if you have the 6 shot model.

+1 on the hi-viz sight suggestion!
Old April 20, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Greg_TX

Just curious - how long is the length of pull on your factory stock? In other words, does it feel like you have to reach a bit for the trigger? My 500 Persuader had one with a 14+" LoP and it felt like it was designed for a gorilla. Choate has a couple of adjustable stocks, with and without pistol grips. I ended up getting a Blackhawk Spec-Ops adjustable with a pistol grip - I picked that for the recoil damping feature. The problem now is the comb is too high and it's hard to sight down the barrel now, so I'm looking for a taller sight kit to fix that. One thing leads to another ...
Old April 24, 2009, 03:55 PM   #6
sectshun8

ramp_tech,

Here's an image of my Mav88 with a collapsible shoulder stock, pistol grip, AND red dot. Any questions, PM me.