The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2006, 05:49 PM   #1
badaceds650

tumble media

whats the best media out there and how long is walnut good for
Old January 10, 2006, 06:11 PM   #2
jclaude

tumble media

Not sure about which one is best, but corn cob has always worked well for me. Last time I bought meddia, corn cob still had the best price. Let's see what the other people prefer.
Old January 10, 2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

I prefer ground walnut or brown rice. Corncob tends to stick in bottleneck cases for me. You can get ground walnut at pet supply stores as "lizard litter" a lot cheaper than from gun stores.

I add a tablespoon or three of "Bon Ami" or "Old Dutch" to a tumbler. Polishes faster and longer with it. Don't use Ajax. That's too aggressive and can scratch your dies.

Whatever you use, it's time to change it when polishing your cases takes too long. I might get a dozen batches polished between changes, but can't say I have ever counted.
Old January 10, 2006, 08:32 PM   #4
JJB2

i use ground cob tumble media but i have learned to either tumble before depriming or be sure to check the flash holes and get the media out of em before priming....it does get the cases shiny pretty fast though....

LIFE IS SHORT.......
Old January 11, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5
Duke45

tumble media

Yry plain old rice . It's cheap and you can find it anywhere. It dose a good job.
Old January 11, 2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Russ5924

I like a mix of 50/50 corncob and walnut works for me.How long can you store walnut,I would think a long time if it stays dry.Only problem I ever had was I bought some that had bugs in it????????
Old January 13, 2006, 07:20 PM   #7
MADISON

Tumbler Media

There aare two kids of media, for cleaning cases:

Walnut...Does a pretty good job untreated and last me about 12 months.
Corn Cob...is good but, doesn't last very long.

I buy my media at PET'S MART:
Corn Cob is about $15.00 for 15 poounds
Walnut hulls is about $15.00 for 25 pounds.
Old January 15, 2006, 12:24 AM   #8
22bore

Tumbler Media

I have kept track of tumbling hours using walnut media. At about 100 hours the media and cases stop "rolling" or tumbling in a vibratory tumbler. That's when it is time to change media. I use a cheap grocery store clicker to keep track of accumlated time.
Old January 15, 2006, 07:03 AM   #9
Ignatz

I'm one step nuttier... I use two Lyman tumblers, both with corn cob media. The first one cleans the brass and the media gets dark after a while. The second tumbler has polish in it and the media stays fairly clean. I'm probably going a little overboard. I might try rice as mentioned by Duke45 in one of my tumblers.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:24 AM   #10
rwilson452

Media?

The short answer is Walnut will clean faster, corn cob will leave a more polished surface. Either works. It just depends on how bright you want your cases. Brightness is nice but clean is is necessary to save wear on your dies. AS to how long it will last. Over the years I have noted some walnut can be used longer than other lots. Another consideration is how dirty your cases are. if you use a real dirty powder, it stands to reason your media will not last as long. So,, It's personal choice for the type of media and the length of use is just to varied to give a meningfull answer.
Old January 16, 2006, 07:48 AM   #11
badaceds650

media

thanks for all the replies ive been using walnut for 8 years got a real big bag a long time ago and although in shines them very well it take at least 2 days to clean so that batch i bought must be bad cause it seems like it takes to long so im going to buy some new walnut and throught away the rest of the bag
Old January 20, 2006, 05:47 PM   #12
skeet47

media

I prefer the walnut.It cleans dirty cases better and with a little polish added they shine very well.It can be purchased as pet stores very reasonably.it's made by a company called Kaytee and they use it for hamster bedding.It's the same stuff you pay 3 times as much for at a gun store.
Old January 20, 2006, 09:54 PM   #13
Plated

I personally always buy untreated media, walnut for me. I have used corncob, but as other have mentoined....it does not seem to last as long. I do add a liquid polish to the media(made for brass but can't recall the name at the moment).

Rice, think I have heard of that....going to try that

and I have to say(not being a "litter pet" owner) I had no idea that you could get tubler media from pet stores! Thanks for that info.