The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Double Impact

Most of the Kaboom stuff is internet hype and secondly the few that did have a kaboom were older guns some of the first ones and due to bad loads rather reloads or factory loads.
the gen 3 and gen 4 glocks have a much more supported barrel now.
having a Kaboom was talked about with glock so much simply because there are more glocks out there.
I could not find it but there was a thread out there some where that showed a lot of kabooms by other brands all steel as well as polymer.

Don't worry about it, I have glock 30's g 21's g23's g19's all with thousands of rds thru them no problems.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:29 PM   #27
GuyM9

I had one in my G21 when I first got it, maybe 10 years ago, don't remember for sure. It also set off the last two rounds that were in the magazine. After I changed my shorts I looked at the gun. The magazine was partially ejected, maybe an inch or so, but was jammed tight. I had to pry and pound it out. After checking the gun over the only damage appeared to be the magazine and my nerves, the gun seemed to functioned perfectly. A couple of hours later I got brave and put one round in and fired it. No problems, so continued to shoot as normal. Never did actually figure out the cause.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:34 PM   #28
Powdersmoke

One potential cause of a kaboom in a Glock is shooting lead bullets. Glock's polygon rifled barrels lead up very quickly and pressures go over the moon, or so I've read anyway.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:11 PM   #29
9mm

Quote:
lol "Glock Kaboom"

Any gun can kaboom. Usually it's an ammo issue. Over charged round.
+1 though with plastic guns it is more dangerous to blow up, because the frame splits easier.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:28 PM   #30
dean1818

If you shoot 40 reloads, you just need to load them well below the max line.
(You also need to make sure that you are getting proper OAL)

I reload for a 40 cal Shield and do notice that some of the range pickups have slight bulges in them around the base. (From the unsupported chamber in the Glock)

I would guess that if someone reloaded some of these on the hot side, you might have problems or a kabom

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old January 31, 2013, 08:12 PM   #31
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Most of the Kaboom stuff is internet hype and secondly the few that did have a kaboom were older guns some of the first ones and due to bad loads rather reloads or factory loads.
I personally witnessed two Glocks blow up.
They were the older model 40S&W caliber guns, model 22 I believe was the designation number.

Both shooters purchased factory ammo right off the shelf, these were not reloads or remanufactured ammo.
Both shooters were cut, bloody and burned, however I don't believe either lost any fingers or eyesight over the experience.

Glock did not want to admit their guns were at fault, they tried the old shooting reload BS, but eveyone new better.
I've heard they redesigned the ramp area on their barrels so maybe the guns blowing are in the past.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 31, 2013, 08:27 PM   #32
jmortimer

Funny to see the Glock Fan Boys in denial. A simple internet search will prove to you who is right or wrong. Yes, any gun can go "Kaboom," but as noted, there is firearm nomenclature for "Glock Kaboom" which is not associated with any other firearm. It would not stop me from buying a Glock, but nothing could get me to buy one in the first place.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:30 PM   #33
arch308

your loss!
Old January 31, 2013, 08:45 PM   #34
jmortimer

I'll survive somehow
Old January 31, 2013, 08:47 PM   #35
LouisianaAviator

Quote:
Funny to see the Glock Fan Boys in denial. A simple internet search will prove to you who is right or wrong. Yes, any gun can go "Kaboom," but as noted, there is firearm nomenclature for "Glock Kaboom" which is not associated with any other firearm. It would not stop me from buying a Glock, but nothing could get me to buy one in the first place.

And what is your preferred pistol of choice?
Old January 31, 2013, 09:05 PM   #36
jmortimer

"And what is your preferred pistol of choice?"

Who cares, but since I butted in, S&W M&P 9mm with Apex Action Enhancment Kit.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:11 PM   #37
LouisianaAviator

Quote:
Who cares, but since I butted in, S&W M&P 9mm with Apex Action Enhancment Kit.
Sounds like a nice pistol.

To the OP, I've never seen a Glock kB but supposedly it has to deal with the combination of Glock's (supposedly) lack of chamber support compared to other pistols and overloaded ammo.

I've seen 1911's made in the 80's with ridiculously open barrel throats that left a LOT of brass exposed, but never saw one kB when fired, FWIW
Old January 31, 2013, 09:16 PM   #38
jmortimer

"Sounds like a nice pistol."

The best of the best for less, as far as I'm concerned. The Apex kit puts it over the top.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:56 PM   #39
jon_in_wv

I think a HUGE number of the Glock kabooms were not "internet hype" but rather Glocks choice to pursue reliability by taking chances with loose chamber dimensions. Too little chamber support combined with the high pressures of the 40 or leading in the barrel combined to create separated case heads with only a plastic frame to contain the resulting release of pressure. New Glocks have much better support in the chambers and I wouldn't feel the least concerned about any of them especially the 45 which operates are lower pressures anyhow. Glock has quietly made many changes and improvements to the newer generations of guns. They just don't tell anyone because they refuse to admit their weapon is anything but "perfection". The Glock 21 is a pretty fine weapon. I wouldn't mind getting one myself one day.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:42 PM   #40
Edward429451

A G21 would be the last Glock to KB. 45acp pressures are ~ 18K and the frame is built to house the 10mm pressures also. It's a real low pressure round, and only a double charge would blow it up.

I had a G21 for many years and shot thousands of lead boolits through it with no KB. A healthy dose of common sense (uh-oh) must be applied. Proper sizing of boolits, NOT shooting jacketed rounds AFTER the lead to clean out the lead, and regular thorough cleanings.

My experience with the G21s chamber is that it was tight (vs my 1911). My lead boolit reloads that would choke my G21 would run through my 1911 like butter.