The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1
docbone

NIB broken 590 mossberg

Just bought a NIB 590 9-shot Mossberg. Loaded 6 shells and felt the spring tension give way ie no resistance. Pulled the tube spring and at the stock end the spring had a kink. The entire spiring looked distorted. The point of the post is for a HD shotgun should i be concerned? Mossberg is sending another spring... on their dime but free fix does not mean it is a fix for a HD.
Old March 18, 2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Travis Beck

If a new factory spring solves the problem then the problem is solved. Once the new spring is installed, load eight rounds and see if the weapon works.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Slopemeno

Any self-defense firearm should be tested heavily before being relied upon, and checked yearly after that. That being said, Mossbergs, while not a high-end gun, usually work very well. My 500 has been very reliable over 27 years.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
hoytinak

I'd replace the spring load it up and shoot a box or two through it and consider it fixed.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
.351winchester

"Mossberg is sending another spring... on their dime but free fix does not mean it is a fix for a HD."

Should be good as new. It's not a flaw in a major component, springs are an expendable part that will wear over time, replacement will happen.
Does Wolff make mag tube springs? Might make ya feel better to go with one of their's. Always see in stores, mag extensions sold in plastic bags, the new spring all tweaked and kinked from just being in there loose. Always has bugged me.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:40 PM   #6
MrApathy

new spring will solve it no biggie.

wolff does make replacement springs for 12gauge mag tubes but they are usually sent long and need trimming.

I have bought used mossbergs and mavericks tube never taken off spring not cleaned keep on working many many rounds through them.

get the new spring in then take it out judge for yourself
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old March 19, 2008, 11:19 PM   #7
docbone

thank you for every ones input

thank you for every ones input, and Mossberg is actually sending me two new springs sent out today. I will hold judgment until after i receive the replacement.
Old March 20, 2008, 10:56 AM   #8
rhgunguy

I would hold judgement until I am wondering where the heck that second spring they sent me was when my gun malfunctions during a gunfight.

That or I would buy the 870 I already have under my bed.
Old March 25, 2008, 12:28 PM   #9
docbone

new spring

Under 7 days from purchase and over a holiday weekend mossberg sent me two new springs on there dime. Have not been to the range yet, but so far after 15min of cycling no issues, leaving the magazine loaded for a few days and see if the spring deforms again. Will keep you all posted.
Old March 26, 2008, 11:06 AM   #10
okiewita40

I would venture to say that a bad spring made it's wa out the door. It is great the Mossberg made it right with you. Let us know how it works for you after you head to the range.
Old March 29, 2008, 06:07 PM   #11
docbone

It works

went to the "informal " range and well the gun works, it is fun to shoot stuff. And having a nine shoots means i am usually still shooting stuff while everyone else has stopped and just has to watch.
I will be picking up the knoxx stock, so i can call this "my wifes gun".
Once again thanks for all the input and remember shooting stuff is fun.