The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Aqeous

A Tactical Extrema II??????

Hey Guys. I've got my buddy sitting beside me right now and he inspired this post because honestly I do not have enough knowledge to answer his question. Basically here it is: he's a big baby when it comes to recoil lol, and he lives in a pretty darn nice house VERY BIG and out of my pay grade. So the length of his shot gun would not be an issue when defending his homestead. He had this Idea to dress up and Extrema II shotgun like a fully equipped M4 complete with Eotech holographic sights on a picatanny rail as well as the mounting of additinal rounds. Honestly it seems like a little bit over kill but with some gun-smithing it is definitely doable and is worth a try. (Heck . . . on second thought it might even be cool considering the Extrema can hold 10-11 shells with mag extension as appose to say the M4's maximum of 7.)

So heres My question: will dressing up an Extrema II like this effect its reliability? I know that it has a gas operating system and so shouldn't have the same kind of problems that a recoil system would in terms of changing the guns overall weight. I don't think it would--however I am uncertain. Benelli has made such a big deal about the M4's new ARGO system and its reliability that I am uncertain if the Extrema's function is similar or even up to the task. I'd hate to see his new super-cool one of a kind "Tactical" Extrema II screw up at the worst possible moment and introduce him to an early grave. (Remember I'm talking about ALL the "Tactical" trimmings here on this shotgun) So can anyone out there who possess the knowledge conclusively help me answer this question?
Old January 28, 2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

Great Project idea....

Reliability-wise, the only thing that may cause problems is, if he shortens the barrel, he will have to "tweak" the gas ports to get it just right, once he has that set, he'd have an incredible tacti-cool toy....

Tell him I'll trade him "straight-up" for my Mossberg 930 SPX, that way, he'll get a tactical autoloader... and I'll appreciate the Extrema (obviously) more than he does.... He's either got way too many guns laying around or doesn't understand you just don't do that to a Beretta

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 29, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Aqeous

Respose to Smitty in CT

Thanks for the Info. I asked him . . . but he has his heart set on the Idea. I think he's bought into the the whole "fastest shotgun in the world" gimmick. But once again thanks for backing up what I suspected, as far as I know he as no intention of shortening the barrel and so as long as his idea will not mess with the Extrema's reliability this little project of his is a go ahead.

Buy the way the Mossberg 930 SPX is a great shotgun, but does it have the same kinds of recoiling reducing features that the Extrema II has? If it does he might consider it but like I said before the recoil reduction is pretty much the point of his endeavor being that he is a very recoil sensitive individual.
Old January 29, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

The Mossberg 930 is a soft shooting gun, I have not shot the Extrema II, but, I have shot the 391 Teknys, which had very similar recoil to the 930.

I don't know how much better the Extrema II is compared to the Teknys...I know they're in the same family.....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton