The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 18, 2016, 11:03 PM   #26
cslinger

Funny, I could easily argue all the negatives to a 1911 platform. That being said I totally get it and they are not my schtick so to speak. They have a FANTASTIC trigger even the crappy triggers are good. They feel good. They look good. They have soul.

For me, and although I am not as young as I used to be I am far from old curmudgeon, I dig revolvers. Low capacity, slow reloads, decidedly in tactical in every way and arguably even more "ridiculous" then a 1911 in our modern world.

The reality is they do certain things exceedingly well. Things that haven't been matched even in the 21st century. Even with Their drawbacks real and perceived they have their place. Especially when we talk about and look at real world defensive civilian scenarios.

The 1911 is the same way. There are things it does that still haven't been matched and even with its drawbacks real and perceived...........

I have always said its hard to argue against a Glock 17/19. Cost, capacity, durability, accuracy, reliability etc. and I stand by that. But a trained user with a sorted out 1911 with a grip and trigger that makes putting two quick rounds of around 460 grains on target before a crunchenticker even feels right in the hand is nothing to be scoffed at.

People get so hung up on technology (me included) that we forget that an original Colt Single Action Army or hell a .32 caliber black powder cap and ball pistol is just as viable today as it ever was with a trained user.

1911s have soul, presence. Are they a better weapon then say a Glock designed damn near 100 years later.........probably not, especially on paper. Would I want to have a gunfight with Ken Hacklethorn or Larry Vickers with them armed with a basic 70 series, GI sighted 1911 vs me with a Glock 41 MOS with Trijicon optic.......HELL NO.
Old April 18, 2016, 11:18 PM   #27
Ifishsum

I more of a revolver guy, but I own and carry a polymer hi-cap (Taurus PT140) at times. Nothing wrong with it at all, I can shoot it very well and it's never skipped a beat. But style wise it has zero appeal to me - it's just a tool that works. No particular attachment to it. But a 1911 - the heavy steel, the mechanics and the character, the wood grips and the hammer - I just enjoy handling and shooting them for fun (I have three) and I find them aesthetically pleasing as well. Hard to explain, and not to take anything away from the polymers but 1911s just do it for me in more ways than just as a tool. Kind of like cruising a cherry '57 Chevy Bel Air through town as opposed to an newer but average no-name compact car. But I'm not saying anyone else should think as I do...

I also love single action revolvers for similar reasons.
Old April 19, 2016, 01:06 AM   #28
Machineguntony

[edit]

Last edited by Machineguntony; April 19, 2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old April 19, 2016, 01:54 AM   #29
Rangerrich99

Quote:
The 1911 is the same way. There are things it does that still haven't been matched and even with its drawbacks real and perceived...........

I have always said its hard to argue against a Glock 17/19. Cost, capacity, durability, accuracy, reliability etc. and I stand by that. But a trained user with a sorted out 1911 with a grip and trigger that makes putting two quick rounds of around 460 grains on target before a crunchenticker even feels right in the hand is nothing to be scoffed at.

People get so hung up on technology (me included) that we forget that an original Colt Single Action Army or hell a .32 caliber black powder cap and ball pistol is just as viable today as it ever was with a trained user.

1911s have soul, presence. Are they a better weapon then say a Glock designed damn near 100 years later.........probably not, especially on paper. Would I want to have a gunfight with Ken Hacklethorn or Larry Vickers with them armed with a basic 70 series, GI sighted 1911 vs me with a Glock 41 MOS with Trijicon optic.......HELL NO.
That. That is I was going to say, just not as eloquently as Mr. cslinger. Thank you.
Old April 20, 2016, 05:28 PM   #30
skimbell

I still want to hear more about this "Browning 1911"!
Old April 20, 2016, 09:47 PM   #31
Buzzcook

Fun to shoot.
Old April 21, 2016, 07:58 AM   #32
Skans

Quote:
Hi capacity guns are fun, and if they make you feel better, by all means, feel better. But I do have to wonder, why, now, today, it seems to take 12, 15, 17 or more to do what 6, 7, or 8 has done for well over a century.
That's not really a good assessment. The modern handgun, from a civilian point of view, is more of a substitute for a submachine gun. It's not meant to be a last-ditch weapon in battle when you don't have an operating rifle. It's a device that can be used for clearing rooms in residential structures. A large capacity handgun is effective against gangs of more than just one person.

Think about it - a large capacity handgun has the same capacity and is as powerful and effective inside of a house as was a Thompson sub-machine gun with a standard box magazine. I have several 9mm handguns that hold 20 rounds with a slightly extended magazine. I have a drum magazine for my Glock 17 that holds 50 rounds - same as a typical Thompson drum. The fact that the modern 9mm handgun is far more compact, light weight, reliable and semi-auto (rather than full-auto), make it a almost a different weapon than 1911 with 7-8 round capacity. So, you can't compare a civilian's use of a 20 round handgun to a combat militant's use of a 1911.....two completely different animals.

Oh, and it's not just 9mm with that kind of capacity. STI 2011's can hold close to 20 rounds of 45acp with a slightly extended magazine. Tanfoglio 10mm magazines hold 15 rounds. That can be a lot of firepower in a handgun, especially if you can access multiple magazines.
Old April 21, 2016, 09:28 AM   #33
Tex44

Where do I start?

The 1911 is an American classic. It has seen service in pretty much every war and conflict America has been in since 1911, and it has earned itself a reputation for getting the job done.

They are beautiful guns, probably one of the most beautiful semi autos ever made.

There are so many options for them that it's mind boggling.

They are the "gentleman's" gun, and the roughneck's gun.

They work, they're accurate, and they're just great guns period.
Old April 21, 2016, 09:54 AM   #34
zukiphile

Quote:
There are so many options for them that it's mind boggling.
That's the 10/22 and AR15 problem.

My sense is that there are a wealth of options for gizmoes on the 1911, but I never tried any of them because they all look like they might take a little skill or patience.
Old April 21, 2016, 10:16 AM   #35
kilimanjaro

All real Americans love the 1911 pistol, in all it's forms and calibers. Only those with suspect patriotism and mental faculties choose Glocks.

Bolsheviks and nancy boys, one and all.
Old April 21, 2016, 10:22 AM   #36
geetarman

Quote:
Only those with suspect patriotism and mental faculties choose Glocks.
Aww come on. . . LOL

I have Glocks and a bunch of 1911s. The 1911 seems too bulky for me to carry but they are a ton of fun at the range.

My carry gun is either a G19, P938 or P320C.

Carpe Cerveza
Old April 21, 2016, 11:19 AM   #37
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So, you can't compare a civilian's use of a 20 round handgun to a combat militant's use of a 1911.....two completely different animals.
Nor should one compare Police & military use of a 20rnd(+) handgun (or smg) to civilian use of a 1911...also two completely different animals.

It's an easy trap to fall into, because there are so many things in this world where "more is better" actually works. But there are also many situations where more is just more.

What bothers me is the stated or implied attitude that anything less than the "more" is ineffective or not worth bothering with. That's what I see so often today, the idea that if it doesn't hold a dozen or more rounds (or 20, or whatever large number you pick) it's not worth having.

It has been said often, and its true, you (and I) as "civilians" (ordinary citizens) are personally, legally responsible for every round we fire. The police and the military are not. They have a legal system, and large well funded support. You and I, do not.

The constant, 24/7 "free training" that we get from movies and TV teaches high volume fire is the "right" thing for everything, it must be, it works, right? Well, the real world doesn't follow the same script other than on rare occasions.

One other, and widely ignored, thing about the 1911, and other steel guns (including the tommygun) is the fact that when you can't, or shouldn't shoot, they are a superior impact weapon, compared to lighter constructed arms. No, its not something most of us will ever need, but it is there.
Old April 21, 2016, 06:08 PM   #38
Double Naught Spy

I don't really care one iota about the history of the gun relative to whether or not I carry it. I don't care about nostalgia. It is a fine gun with a sweet SA trigger and grip angle that I really like. It suits me, is reliable, and I shoot mine very well. That is what I want in a defensive pistol.
Old April 22, 2016, 12:28 PM   #39
rickyrick

One thing about them.... Doesn't feel like a a staple gun in your hand with a trigger that feels like a staple gun
Old April 23, 2016, 09:48 AM   #40
Shenna9220

You take this: http://www.pauliespistols.com/s/cc_i...g?t=1430674021

and you can add so much to it.

Just like you take this:

http://cdnll.primaryarms.com/images/xxl/nv04000062k.jpg

and you can add so much to it.

Some things are ahead of their time.
Old April 23, 2016, 12:00 PM   #41
mavracer

Quote:
Me too
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 24, 2016, 01:41 AM   #42
jgcoastie

I've never been a huge 1911 fan either. I've owned several through the years, and liked them well enough... But they were all safe/range queens, never carried them. I like my carry guns simple, meaning I don't want any external safety, whether beavertail or manual "flick" safety doesn't matter, I don't want it on my carry gun.

I do however, have a soft spot for the .45 ACP, and single-stacks in general though, so I generally carry my P220.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 24, 2016, 09:28 AM   #43
Minorcan

What's not to love???

Dependable, has style and fires a big ol' 45 acp!

I like mine.
Old April 25, 2016, 09:16 AM   #44
osbornk

Quote:
What's not to love???

Dependable, has style and fires a big ol' 45 acp!

I like mine

I agree except mine is 9mm. The 9mm makes it a really sweet shooter. You should try one.
Old April 25, 2016, 10:03 AM   #45
JWT

Whats not to like about it. Classic, time proven design. Fine looking guns. Easy to field strip. Many different ones to chose from. I find it fits my hand better than most other guns.

Love my 1911s in both 9mm and .45 ACP. Guess that's why I keep adding to the collection on em.
Old April 25, 2016, 10:38 AM   #46
RickB

Quote:

Me too
Browning did market a 100th anniversary 1911. I think they were offered alone, and as a matched pair with their .22 version.
I've never seen a Browning .45, even on gunbroker, so they must be pretty rare.
Well, never saw one before today.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=554023858
Old April 26, 2016, 01:29 AM   #47
cv73

well I don't know what draws me to them. I have seven now and when ever I am in a gun shop they are the first thing I go to. like I need another one.
Old April 26, 2016, 01:55 AM   #48
gyvel

Quote:

Me too

Browning did market a 100th anniversary 1911. I think they were offered alone, and as a matched pair with their .22 version.
Since Browning does nothing but market items made for them by various factories, I think it's probably safe to say that the Browning 1911 was no exception and it was a 1911 .45 made for them by one of several companies.

As was stated, it was an anniversary commemorative offered by them in a set with the 1911-22 or alone.
SIFE
Old April 26, 2016, 09:40 AM   #49
BarryLee

A Navy SEAL at the local gun shop said Leonidas used a Colt 1911 at the Battle of Thermopylae.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 26, 2016, 10:04 AM   #50
kilimanjaro

That SEAL is correct, haven't you heard of the Antikythera Pistol, found in an ancient Greek shipwreck and dated to 1911 B.C.? It was not the computer you've seen on television, but a prototype of the pistol later used at Thermopylae. This history has been suppressed by the Illuminati for centuries, and only now is being told.
Closed Thread